Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-21, 11:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Two pet peeves with yoga videos:
  1. Holding one side longer than the other
  2. Giving me a really good modification suggestion when we're working on the SECOND side
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 12:17 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Agree with this one. Especially when it involves different equipment. Was doing a Peloton workout and it was up down up down up down and so fast; I couldn’t keep up and all the up downs ended up being my workout. Start either on the floor or standing, switch and stay there. They have the luxury of stopping the camera and getting settled in and in place ready to go and we are scrambling.
Yes, I would so love a workout where you start on either floor or standing, then switch and stay there.
Old 09-04-21, 01:53 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Instructors who do a couple reps and then just strut around while the others work.

Zooming in on faces right when we need to see what legs or arms are doing.

"I lied, let's do x more!" Why should I trust a liar?
Yes!!!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 02:33 PM  
Mickey12

These are all good. I think I agree with all of them.
Old 09-04-21, 06:33 PM  
Kitten

Using one set of weights for the entirety of a workout.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 07:07 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
When the instructor is off beat or off count. Music is written in phrases, in multiples of 8 counts. When you listen to any music, you can hear when a phrase begins and ends. Some instructors apparently can't, or they ignore it. You don't end or start a new move in the middle of a phrase of music (whether you're just walking or not).

Also, don't tell me you're going to do a couple more and then do 4. Or 8, and then talk through the next 16 and then say 8 more. Or that we'll do 20 one way and 20 another way, and then do 32 each way.
Oh my! You took the words right out of my mouth! This drives me nuts.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 07:12 PM  
Helen

• Not sticking with the beat, then being told to keep my head in alignment & NOT watch the screen, but need to watch the screen to keep the pace BECUASE it's not on the beat.
• Using the same weights throughout - for biceps, squat, & front raises - that makes sense. /s This is why I keep note of what weights I used with each vid - put a + or - next to the exercise to in/decrease weight next time.
• Backgrounders that play up to the camera.

Not related to the workout, but how the DVD is put together.
• Annoying when it isn't chaptered, or not chaptered well - say every 5min, ON the 5min, with no regard to where in the workout that is.
• Annoying when I have to wait through the FBI, disclaimer, titles, ... let me hit the menu button & get to the workout choices & start.
• Series that have many discs but half of them are only 30min workouts. It seems they're separate just to bump the number of discs that come with the set - makes it look like we're getting more for our money.
• Premixes that are just adding on a bonus, or leaving out the abs... premixes should save me a lot of bother - like turning a circuit into 'weights first' or vice versa, or giving me an upper body only mix from a workout that cycles through 6 rounds of cardio/lower/upper/core. Things that take just a few seconds aren't worth the premix - another way of faking more for your money. I've made my own DVDs with hoards of premixes (more than came on the original) and honestly - it's NOT hard!

That's about it for me.
I can deal with non-mirror cueing
I can deal with poor music - don't really notice so long as there's a solid beat - I notice GOOD music & it makes me happy but can ignore it otherwise.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 08:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

There are a lot of goodies here!

Off the beat cardio moves is definitely one of mine, as is overly hammy background peeps and unevenly working side to side.

Overly lengthy warmup when not necessary IMHO (like for kickboxing) and too short cooldown/stretch.

Childlike voice that IMHO isn't the instructor's "natural" voice.

Yelling at me rather than encouraging me. Yelling doesn't motivate me.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:30 PM  
Garrie A.

All that have been mentioned so far, plus...

Static stretching during the warm-up. Actually, not just during the warm-up but throughout a workout. They should be saved for the end of a workout. (Dynamic or active stretching is ok.) As much as I love the Classic Firms, now the thought of the post warm-up stretches makes my stomach churn.

Instructors who use negative motivation. An instructor who shall remain nameless once said "Earn that cookie!" during a workout. Another said that they wanted your "heart to be gargling in your throat." (Or something to that effect.) Sorry, but if I hear cues like this in a class I will walk out (or Joni O a DVD/VHS/streaming workout).

Overworking the anterior and mirror muscles and neglecting the backside of the body, considering the majority of the general population is quad dominant and also spends too much time in forward flexion.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-21, 09:35 PM  
Garrie A.

Oh! And another: combining exercises just for the sake of combining them. A lot of newer Beachbody programs are guilty of this. I am a big fan of YouTuber Briannah Jewel's "CPT Reacts to Beachbody Workouts" videos and after watching them I have no desire to do most of the newer Beachbody programs. (No offense to those that like the newer programs. )
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pet peeves