Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-20, 04:14 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I had spinal surgery and can no longer do kettlebell swings or deadlifts unfortunately. For now I will plan on doing mostly floor work and then figure out how often per week for results! Surgery has forced me to rework my entire workout choices. It has been a slow but steady progress.
If it makes you feel any better, and if your goals are oriented to aesthetics and good old fashioned "I want a hot butt" endeavors, I can honestly say that by far I have had more compliments after floor work programs vs lunge/squats etc. Ballet Beautiful floor segments, Wimberlean, Buns of Steel, Tonique Mat---any of the floor stuff that focuses on bridges/variations and hip abd/adductor work will give nice results.

On the other hand, if you want Spongbob Squarepants butt, you'll have to cry a river. In my experience, only the Firm (tall box) can deliver on that

ETA: There's also a lot to be said for the glute strength floor work can develop. I have always been super impressed by folks who can wear heavy ankle wts while doing endless reps of floor work. Even after super heavy lifting with a lot of squats/lunges, MHB could literally still kick my butt every time.
Old 04-11-20, 11:40 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Fitness Fix Intermediate with Denise Beatty -- I've been using it at least once a week over the last year as a part of my "self-administered physical therapy" for my slightly wonky right knee. The section with bridge variations on the stability ball still leave me whimpering each time despite the perseverance and frequency of practice... Ouchie!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:09 PM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I found this workout on Youtube that uses the "booty band". It is from Arena Strength, I use a different band I bought off Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0XHdBpQ9Qk

This one is a burner! I love the format of no talking / good music and a countdown timer. I will be doing this again for sure.

I have tried to follow Bret C but I just can not stomach his focus on physique. It gets to be a bit much. Strong glutes are so important for functional reasons, which at my age (50) is my goal.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 03:36 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
I found this workout on Youtube that uses the "booty band". It is from Arena Strength, I use a different band I bought off Amazon.

This one is a burner! I love the format of no talking / good music and a countdown timer. I will be doing this again for sure.
This workout looks good as an add on. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-20, 10:48 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post

:
I think I'm going to have DOMS just from watching it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 06:51 AM  
Hedgehog

I was a HUGE BC fan and have followed his work for years. It was cery hard to follow him for my own personal issues. I worked hard to set those aside and, got amazing results from BC's work.

Fast forward to a few months ago when some personal info hit the mainstream and real, hardworking, invested fitness leaders whom I admire, spoke honestly about the situation.

As one of the people who defended BC for years, I have not been able to bring myself back to his workouts. I do know the value of his research and he has broken ground and advanced glute science in a short number of years however, his behavior has been exactly the behavior I forced myself to believe he wasn't capable of and, I can't financially support it. I understand many will choose to support or not support based on the workouts themselves but, for me, it took a lot to trust him as he appeared and I regret investing that in him.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 09:51 AM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
I was a HUGE BC fan and have followed his work for years. It was cery hard to follow him for my own personal issues. I worked hard to set those aside and, got amazing results from BC's work.

Fast forward to a few months ago when some personal info hit the mainstream and real, hardworking, invested fitness leaders whom I admire, spoke honestly about the situation.

As one of the people who defended BC for years, I have not been able to bring myself back to his workouts. I do know the value of his research and he has broken ground and advanced glute science in a short number of years however, his behavior has been exactly the behavior I forced myself to believe he wasn't capable of and, I can't financially support it. I understand many will choose to support or not support based on the workouts themselves but, for me, it took a lot to trust him as he appeared and I regret investing that in him.
I wasn’t going to say anything about this, but this is the reason I never subscribed to the online plans. I continue to use his book but I couldn’t stomach a subscription. Although I probably wouldn’t have continued it long, anyway, because it is too much for my fitness budget.

I also take everything on the Internet with a giant grain of salt as I don’t feel people’s personal lives should impact my business choices, generally. I mean, I have no real idea about the personal lives of most fitness instructors or most of the people I buy things from. However, the sleaziness of some of the photos and posts that are promoted are part of this person’s business, and that together with the other things turned me off.

I don’t know that he has advanced glute science. He has promoted certain exercises that can give physique benefits, but I don’t know to what degree he is respected for this in the fitness research world.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 10:07 AM  
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I wasn’t going to say anything about this, but this is the reason I never subscribed to the online plans. I continue to use his book but I couldn’t stomach a subscription. Although I probably wouldn’t have continued it long, anyway, because it is too much for my fitness budget.

I also take everything on the Internet with a giant grain of salt as I don’t feel people’s personal lives should impact my business choices, generally. I mean, I have no real idea about the personal lives of most fitness instructors or most of the people I buy things from. However, the sleaziness of some of the photos and posts that are promoted are part of this person’s business, and that together with the other things turned me off.

I don’t know that he has advanced glute science. He has promoted certain exercises that can give physique benefits, but I don’t know to what degree he is respected for this in the fitness research world.
I think you put many of my thoughts in better words.

To the OP, I do think glutes are something you can really change the more you educate yourself. Learning glute activation and incorporating that EVERY time I walked, hiked and worked legs made a huge difference in my late 30s and after 6 children. The more I learned online & for free, the more I could evaluate glute exercises I found in videos.

2lazy4gym did a PHENOMENAL amount of work for her own glute / sts rotation and I followed that one round completely then modified it and have continued for 2?? Years now incorporating Butt Bible, Cathe, EBE2 and a number of glute winners. Each portion taught me a lot about working my glutes and what work & didn't.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 12:02 PM  
prettyinpink

One person I became aware of through BC is Sohee Lee, who has online plans for purchase and a FB group called Lift with Sohee.

Supposedly she uses a lot of similar techniques, but I have not tried her plans myself. When I did a search, there was someone from this forum who used the plan from her book.

Hedgehog, I’m sure you came across her name also; do you know anything about her program?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 01:06 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
One person I became aware of through BC is Sohee Lee, who has online plans for purchase and a FB group called Lift with Sohee.

Supposedly she uses a lot of similar techniques, but I have not tried her plans myself. When I did a search, there was someone from this forum who used the plan from her book.

Hedgehog, I’m sure you came across her name also; do you know anything about her program?
That might have been me. I bought her book (Eat Lift Thrive) which has several programs depending on how many days per week you want to work out, as well as guidance on making your own program. I did a couple of the prewritten programs and tried writing my own, and I liked them. She also has an Instagram account and Youtube channel with sample workouts, and a Facebook group where she was good about answering my questions.

I'm not at all surprised by what her ex did to her - he always creeped me out - and I hope she can recover. I'd noticed she went missing from her group for months, but now she's back and posting. I'm done with that whole fitness guru cult, anyway. I have enough books and programs to last several lifetimes.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booty bands, bret contreras, denise beatty, glute building, glute workouts, glutes, gluteus medius, hip strength, resistance loops, scoliosis