Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-19, 08:44 AM  
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
My husband used to be athletic in his younger days. However, he now has bad knees and won’t exercise at all. His back is so stiff that he cannot twist at all. I’ve suggested he sit in a chair and perform light twisting exercises, but he refuses to do them. Not being able to twist limits his ability to drive safely with ease.

I have friends that are my age that don’t exercise and their arms have turned to mush. One of them cannot even stretch her leg straight. It breaks my heart. I don’t understand why people can’t see the most precious gift we have is a functioning body. It’s imperative we take care of ourselves to maximize our quality of life.
My Husband is getting very close to your description. He drives a truck all day and complains of knee and back pain. A lit of this is leftover from a broken back and femur 20 years ago. I tried and tried to get him to do stretches every time he stopped but, he's too stubborn. Last Sat he tweaked his back and couldn't walk 15 steps without it locking up.

We spend a lot of our time with retired friends (we are 39). They all laugh at me when I do my workouts or, aren't outside socializing because I'm inside getting my w/o out of the way for the day. Yet, most of them have limited mobility and constant physical complaints. They comment often about how strong or capable I am when it comes to physical labor (that they can no longer participate in) but still laugh and poke fun at me for working out. It baffles me, I would think they, of all people would understand the value and encourage!!! To be fair, they are never mean and I don't take offense, I just don't understand how they can be so physically limited and still shake their heads at me for working to avoid that!!!
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 10:04 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My DH has finally gotten into a workout habit. Before he would do nothing pretty much all week, then try to run 5 miles and be so sore the next day that he wouldn't do anything. He was so all or nothing, it was useless, then he'd develop little injuries and nurse those for weeks. It was ridiculous. This crazy pattern on loop! In his defense, he would just get distracted with work or household responsibilities, and exercising slipped down the priority list.

Finally around this time last year, he got into a more regular exercise habit. He went on a three month (!) work trip and really got in shape and lost a lot of weight. He returned last April and has managed to maintain the habit, and mostly maintain the weight loss, too. I'm glad he's finally prioritizing his health. He's turning 50 in December. I think that was a bit of a wake up call.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 10:39 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Finally around this time last year, he got into a more regular exercise habit. He went on a three month (!) work trip and really got in shape and lost a lot of weight. He returned last April and has managed to maintain the habit, and mostly maintain the weight loss, too. I'm glad he's finally prioritizing his health. He's turning 50 in December. I think that was a bit of a wake up call.
Was it the people he was with on the trip, the change of scenery or boredom do you think? A friend's husband travels a lot for work and his company puts a lot of emphasis on physical activity, so when they're off on a trip there are sometimes organized events like pickleball or surf lessons or something to encourage both team building and movement. While he's not usually enthusiastic about working out when he's home, the incentive to perform better at the work-related events has him going to the gym more frequently now.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 10:52 AM  
killoffsonny

DH jogs three or four times a week and plays golf at least once a week with no golf cart and also carries his own clubs. He will do a few pull ups on the pull up bar and few pushups every day. Now and then I'll hear him on the total gym. But he's not really into muscle conditioning as much as he is cardio.

I don't have any friends that i can think of that exercise on a continuous regular basis. One friend will do yoga off and on and another will go walking off and on mostly off. Thats it.
Old 09-12-19, 11:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Was it the people he was with on the trip, the change of scenery or boredom do you think?
He was at a law enforcement training, so there was a physical conditioning component. He was one of the older trainees, so he worked hard to get in shape before the training so he didn't get hurt. Thankfully, he's been pretty consistent with it even since he's been home, and he's been bringing lunch from home, so his diet has improved as well.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 10:24 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
He was at a law enforcement training, so there was a physical conditioning component. He was one of the older trainees, so he worked hard to get in shape before the training so he didn't get hurt. Thankfully, he's been pretty consistent with it even since he's been home, and he's been bringing lunch from home, so his diet has improved as well.
That's awesome!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 01:12 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I'm also glad for this forum since "my people" are here! Regardless of form of exercise or level, we have an interest in health and fitness in common.
I agree! My husband thinks it's funny that there's a whole "world" of us!! I love it and talk about my VF friends to him, sharing some of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I also love reading about the 70s, 80s+ relatives who are working out!!
Me too! Motion is lotion! I want to be one of these people!

My husband practices karate 2-4 times a week. No one else in our family is active. I want to keep going for as long as I can!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:33 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

My hubby is a former runner. Think high school. He doesn't believe in exercise for exercise sake. He's still pretty strong & very active, but can you say, "sarcopenia?"

Oldest brother's family is inactive & overweight.

Younger brother is a biker & runner as well as coaching & playing tennis. My sil is a walker & after surviving breast cancer she's back at it.

Oldest daughter & hubby are very active, but no formal exercise. She ran track & cross country in HS.

Oldest son's family has a weight room in the garage. They & their two boys are into fitness & jujitsu. The boys both play travel soccer & the oldest plays high school soccer as a freshman.

Youngest son & wife both play in an adult soccer league & son coaches college cross country & track. He likes to say at 40 he can still our run 20 year olds.

Youngest daughter goes to the YMCA & also does yoga. Her hubby plays rugby. Oldest son plays soccer. The younger is just a wild little boy!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 07:33 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

None. . But over the summer I found out that one of my new colleagues is an athlete. He cycles for cross training, so I enjoyed introducing him to the Sufferfest. He’s the only person I can discuss fitness with IRL, but we’re both too busy to have more than a minute or two every month or so.

That’s why I value all of you here at VF so much!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, physical fitness