Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 06:44 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
It's all about modifying (and somewhat about body weight). IMHO, push-ups on the knees aren't very helpful. Start with full push-ups on the wall then gradually work down to a chair, then maybe a step and finally the floor.
Not to derail this thread, but the fluidity barre is great for modifying pushups. Start at the highest level and gradually lower it as you get stronger.
Old 09-11-19, 07:37 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

That's what I do, except with my power cage. It has holes from the bottom to the top that are spaced 2" apart, so I started with the bar about chest height and am just working my way down one hole at a time! I think I'm going to try to work Atletica in once a week as my test since it has the 50 pushup section .
Old 09-11-19, 07:59 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Costello View Post
By getting uncomfortable. By doing the stuff you really don't like to do. At least this is what has worked for me. It's making me stronger and the things I used to find torturous are becoming a lot more tolerable, if not kind of fun.
This. And yoga. I swear, yoga helped me to get stronger, more flexible, and helped with my balance.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 08:09 PM  
Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Horizontal Conditioning had some DVDs that were slightly easier to help build your way up. Maybe you could find one of them used.

But another option is just to do half of it one day and half the next time. Or just do as many reps as you can each time and build your way up that way. That is what I do with harder workouts when I have had to take a break due to illness.
Someone has these on vf roost. It's 3 Volumes.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I'm thinking about trying out a 3 week Shift Shop rotation on Beachbody on Demand, since the cardio and strength workouts are separated out, and they get progressively harder each week. After that, if I feel I've progressed in my strength and cardio enough, I think I'm going to do a Tapout XT rotation
Can you tell me about Tapout XT? Is it primarily strength? Someone has it on Share the wealth and I was wondering if Strike Training and 5 minute knockout are heavy bag or boxing workouts but from your description are they strength workouts?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-19, 09:47 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

They are not heavy bag workouts. The Tapout sets are definitely cardio and strength combined, so that's why I want to go back to them once I've improved my strength and cardio capacity. It's more a set I like to do when I feel more "in shape" as a way to test myself. I think the Tapout workouts are a lot of fun and have no dread factor for me because the exercises seldom repeat and you move through them quickly. Some people find Mike Karpenko annoying, but he's motivating to me.

I haven't managed to get where I want to be quite yet (I fell off the WWE wagon and can really tell a difference. There's not a lot to those workouts, but I swear I was at work tonight and thinking everything seems heavier. Then I realized I haven't done any of those isolated strength workouts in 2 weeks For some reason those particular upper body workouts really help me with my functional strength). I've been doing more cardio but I need to focus more on strength.

Anyway, sorry that was so long. I definitely recommend getting the Tapout set if you can. Also, you can find all the workouts on YouTube if you search Tapout XT. That way you can see if you think they'd be something you like.

ETA: I just realized you asked about the Strike Training DVD...that one is just the demo/instructional one, not an actual workout. I don't know if I have the 5 Minute Knockout one. If I do, I don't think I've done it. Sorry about that! But the set as a whole is great, as well as Tapout XT2!
Old 12-08-19, 07:13 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
It's all about modifying (and somewhat about body weight). IMHO, push-ups on the knees aren't very helpful. Start with full push-ups on the wall then gradually work down to a chair, then maybe a step and finally the floor.
I have stairs in my house, so I will do push-ups against the higher steps and slowly work my way down towards horizontal on the floor. I have done this several times. I have also found that when I do push-ups every day or every other day, it is easier for me to do them than when I do them every once in a while.
Old 12-08-19, 08:35 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
I have stairs in my house, so I will do push-ups against the higher steps and slowly work my way down towards horizontal on the floor. I have done this several times. I have also found that when I do push-ups every day or every other day, it is easier for me to do them than when I do them every once in a while.
So you're telling me avoiding workouts that have pushups isn't going to make me better at them?

Thank you Jill and Taiga...I think these are both helpful suggestions. I have been just holding plank or using the Hillard method but not really improving very much. And doing push-ups on my stairs sounds fun!

I actually still feel it in my core when I drop to my knees and they do still help my upper body so if that's where I eventually end up..so be it.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 09:28 AM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
So you're telling me avoiding workouts that have pushups isn't going to make me better at them?
This is what I have done twice and it was the only two times I was able to do pushups on my toes. I found that as a result of doing about 6 weeks of a Skogg rotation and about the same time of doing Tracie Long's Longevity DVDS(NOT the floorwork) I was suddenly able to do pushups on my toes.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 12:17 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

LOL about the push up discussion. I have been doing them frequently as I'm on a Cathe kick and she is just in love with them. I have noticed I am getting much, much better at them and rarely go to my knees. I like the suggestion of holding a plank position when I feel I can't do anymore.

Full disclosure I have also lost more than 20 pounds over the last several years and I know that helps with bodyweight exercises like push ups. And I also still despise doing them, along with burpees, but I realize push ups are a valuable exercise.

I have found that challenging my muscles in different ways has helped me to gain strength, meaning high reps some days, heavier weights other days, bands and bodyweight mixed in. We are all so different in how our bodies respond to the workload, and this works for me.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
push up progressions, push ups, pushups, strength gains, strength training