Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Getting Started with Videos > Beginners FAQ

Old 05-24-02, 05:33 PM  
idea_gal

Best beginner step videos

I just got The Step this week.

Could you all please suggest some good step videos for beginners or maybe some videos that alternate step and toning/strength training.

The only step video I have is Cher Fitness A New Attitude. I did this one for awhile in college - so after I got my step this week I got it out and tried it. Now I remember why I gave it up the first time. No offense to anyone that likes that video - maybe I'm just not coordinated enough for it. It was just hard for me to follow. So if you can suggest some other tapes to try that would be great.

The non-step videos that I have been doing are mostly Leslie Sansone Walk-Away-the Pounds stuff. And I really like her style so if you know of a step or step & toning video with an instructor with a similar style that would be great.

I've also been doing Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch and I like her style pretty good also.

Thanks,
Kim
idea_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 07:32 PM  
melanie A

Me too, me too!!

I just got my Step this week, also. I'm going to try to find some beginner step workouts when I go shopping this weekend. I'll let you know if I find anything good! I'm open to suggestions, too.

Mel
melanie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 07:35 PM  
Carol L

Some beginner step videos are....

Step Reebok, the Video w/Gin Miller
Kathy Smith Great Buns & Thighs(easy step choreography)
Karen Voight Energy Sprint(tough tape, but easy choreo)
Reebok Intense Moves(again, tough tape, but easy choreo)
Keli Roberts-Ultimate Fitness Real Step

Hope this will give you some ideas. Step is my favorite--but I started out just like you did--staring at the TV thinking, HUH??

Don't give up!! I have never been athletic and have never had a dance lesson--but I love complicated choreography and the STEP!!
Carol L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 08:09 PM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

A couple of others...

Gilad Step Aerobics (simple steps but can be very intense)

One on One Step Aerobics with Kari Anderson (out of print- you will have to look for it on ebay or Firm Swap, someplace like that)

Kathy Smith Step Workout. (different then the Buns and Thighs workout mentioned below)

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-02, 09:37 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith's Step Workout is really good for learning step.

So are either one of the Jane Fonda step workouts, if you can find them.

Also, Denise Austin had a really beginner step workout, but I think it is out of print. It was a great video for just learning the basic steps. Also, Denise was fairly subdued and not hyper perky in that video. It really was a true beginner workout..in MHO.

Here is a link to an auction on ebay, just so you can see what the cover looks like, if you want to hunt for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1538140275

I'm not involved in the auction or anything...just wanted you to be able to see a picture of it.

Happy stepping! It's the greatest once you get the hang of it.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 11:51 AM  
mida

step video's

I am using Kathy Smith Step video. I have never stepped before and just started exercising 15 weeks ago. I find Kathy's easy for me because it has a beginner, intermediate, and advanced stepping. It also has has program at the end with arm work with weights. I will say after about 4 weeks of stepping 2 times per week I have not gotten passed the beginners yet!! I run about one half mile after stepping and hope to get to the intermdiate someday soon.
mida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 12:52 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Basic Stepping

Leslie Sansone's Basic Stepping is a really easy, but very well-thought-out, first stepping tape. If you turn out to have a body type for which step is a lot more intense than low-impact, this tape will be extremely useful.

Unfortunately, it's out of print. However, it does show up on the Exchange and the other usual places for finding older videos.

Oh, a suggestion: If you ask on the Exchange for a tape that's out of print, say you'll have any standard-priced tape sent from Amazon or Collage in exchange for it. That's what someone did when they wanted a difficult-to-obtain tape of mine.
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 02:22 PM  
Bebop

You could try the Cathe Friedrich Get in Shape for your Wedding Video. It has a nice Step routine - even I can do it and I need very basic choriography. She also has a total body weight workout after it.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-02, 03:41 PM  
MaryD

Getting Started with Videos > beginner step videos

I hesitated before hitting the submit button because the tape I'm about to recommend is ancient. It's called Buns of Steel 2 with Marsha Macro. I've never seen if she ever hosted another video after this. It's so old, she gives you directions on how to make your own step bench. However, the workout is very basic and thorough and includes a warm-up, cool-down, and stretches at the beginning and end of the workout. No matter how out of shape I am, I can usually finish this workout. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-02, 01:55 PM  
JessicaR

I just found that Denise Austin step video at the Goodwill for a buck fifty and did it for the first time this week. I'm trying to get the hang of step, too, and for a seriously undercoordinated person it's been a real challenge! I enjoyed the tape but my hb got a laugh out of some of her moves, the funniest being one where you straddle the step, then step up one leg at a time, then wiggle at the top! Straddle, step, step, wiggle! Straddle, step, step, wiggle! It was hilarious. I've picked up a lot of beginner videos at thrift stores and it's a blast doing the workouts and laughing at the outfits, legwarmers, music, etc... makes the time fly... maybe I'm weird.

If you like Karen Voight, I really like Lean Legs and Buns - the first part of it uses a step but the moves are really easy to follow (well, doing them is hard, but learning the moves was easy). I'm a beginner and like I said, seriously undercoordinated, so you might check that one out, although I don't know if it would be considered a step workout. I'm not up on all the lingo yet. I got the set, LL&B paired with Firm Arms and Abs and I really like them both. It's not exactly fun and dancy, but it's helped me get used to the step and it really, REALLY makes me sweat.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner step, slower step workouts