Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-04, 11:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Smile "Simply Step"? - Thank you, Gin!

I did Gin's new step workout yesterday. I wanted to see if I got the famous DOKS ("Delayed Onset Knee Soreness") today before writing a review. No, the knees feel fine so far this morning. Yippeee!!!!

Gin has done a terrific job in producing a workout that is aerobically challenging and mentally non-challenging. This is not to say that there aren't a few tricky moves that might be hard to learn. But, Gin teaches and cues in such an impeccible way that you will always have options if you can't get a step. I had trouble with a few moves. The "monkey-arms L-step" was wierd. So I just did a similar move I learned from an old Tim Culwell video. I couldn't do the "Y" pattern on the floor. I did "X" and it worked fine. Etc., etc., etc.

I don't know if I would recommend this video for a very beginner at step. Gin assumes you know some of the verbage, like "traveling", etc. Also, the workout moves along at a brisk pace. Just a litle dawdling at the perceived exertion checks.

I improved my chances of doing this workout by previewing and walking out the steps the night before. So, I had an idea of where I might have difficulty and was prepared.

The is one part where Gin mis-cues a move. And I was actually doing it correctly! That was a good feeling.

The set is plain and pleasant. The music is the only disappointment as it is rather dull.

Gin, of course is not a disappointment. She is her usualy goofy self, but not over the top (like in the barely tolerable "New Body Workout"). My favorite quote is when she adds some impact and says, "C'mon, I'm almost fifty and I can do this!" Um, Gin, you are not the *average* "almost fifty-year" old. LOL!

I used a four-inch step and I was glad. I was getting pooped after about 40 minutes. I did some of the higher impact options. Just in time, Gin tells us that there are 10 minutes left in the workout. I would consider going up to a six inch step for a very tough workout.

Here is one of the few workouts that I would recommend to those like me who are choreo-challenged. It's not a walk in the park, but it is doable, learnable and modifiable!

Thank you, Gin!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 12:05 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

I agree with Alta’s assessment. I’m currently babying my knee and I found this step workout to be knee friendly. I usually love complex choreography but was surprised to find the ‘simple’ step work to be fun. It is a steady 50 minutes of straight cardio (not including an 8 min warmup and 3 min cool down) which actually seems to be kind of rare these days.

Her jokes made me smile but I think someone who wasn’t familiar with her from the ‘the old days’ could potentially be put off. Personally, I thought Gin was very endearing.

(I liked Simply Circuit as well!)
Old 10-29-04, 12:05 PM  
Tiffanee
VF Supporter

Love this one too!

I totally agree with you on this one. Gin did a great job. I'm actually thinking about getting Simply Circuit and Endurance. Now if she would put Intense Moves on dvd I would be a very happy vidiot!
Tiffanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 12:28 PM  
new2me

I love this workout too! And, I just received and previewed Simply Circuit last night and think I will love that too. The second part has the same kind basic step moves interspersed with toning/weight work (the first part has hi-lo).

The sudden precious moments in life need to be recognized for the unique periods they are, not wasted by wishing for something else. Edith Schaeffer
new2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 12:38 PM  
Lori M
VF Supporter

I really love Simply Step too! She did an great job of this one! I have to agree. I know that I am bias but, still, I love this step workout!

Donna, Simply Circuit is a great one as well!
Old 10-29-04, 01:40 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

e

q
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 01:45 PM  
doskymom

Someone with that avatar has got a lot of nerve calling the monkey arms weird...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 02:00 PM  
cmiyachi

Great review Alta - this one looks really good - I have Simply Strength which I loved when I used to do it -some very unique moves. This makes me want to get the full set of the "Simply" workouts - I love Gin.

I learned step from Gin in 1989 the first year it came out. It was very exciting and step swept group classes by storm at that time.

I think Gin gets it right with this work out for most people - when I was teaching 99.9% of the people I taught could never do the choreography that we see in videos or in workshops.

BTW: Your avatar looks like it was a contestant in "The Swan".

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 02:43 PM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Alta,

In the name of all that is good and holy - please get rid of that avatar!

It looks like Mr Potato Head went on a rampage.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 02:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzette
Alta,In the name of all that is good and holy - please get rid of that avatar!
Happy Halloween!!!

BWWWWWWHHHHHAAAAA!!! BWWWWWAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gin miller, slower step workouts