Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-22, 05:36 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

It's a gorgeous warm day outside, Watulans!!

So inspired by all of your posts, I pulled out Leah's Ballet Body Total Body workout today. It had clearly been a while and I believe I'll be sore later but I felt great afterwards!

I think I'm going to return to some kinda weekly rotation like one upper body, one lower body, one longer cardio, one metabolic, one barre, and one yoga workout because I recall enjoying the flexibility such a rotation provided (literally and figuratively, hah!) and not feeling overworked in any one area.

Hafta get back to work...stay fierce, Watulans!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 08:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hello Watulans!

Today is opening day for baseball! horusosiris, I'm so sorry your game got rained out! It's disappointing, I'm sure. I hope you can get to the make up game. The bad weather is minutes away from us. We can hear thunder but hopefully we won't get anything severe.

I've been doing more Cathe Lives, and also did another cheesy but goody, Step Jam. I looked hot and groovy. I actually did it on an ancient step that is four inches tall and 26 inches long so it's smaller than the standard club type step. It works well for me.

I also have watched several Bob & Brad videos. Some of the exercises they demonstrate I have seen and done before, but there were a couple of new ones---well, new to me anyway. One of them would best be done with a pull up bar, but I could do a version of it with the Cathe original tower. It was a magic move---it really made me feel better and it still feels better hours later! Thanks to Bob and Brad!!!

The menopause comments were interesting. It's been years for me but I didn't have any issues with it. BUT, before you hate me, there's a reason for it. I stayed on the pill into my fifties since I was concerned that I might get pregnant like my great-grandmother did at 52! My gyno tested me at 53 and determined I was done with periods and I stopped the pill and was done with it all. I decided not to go the hormone replacement route. It just wasn't for me. Obviously the therapy has changed over the years. I'm lucky that I sleep very well most of the time. A good night's rest makes such a difference!

We have Ben Franklin on our list of shows to watch. We are so behind in all the programs we want to see that it doesn't seem that we will ever catch up!

manley, so sorry for all those terrible menopause symptoms! UGH! It sounds like you had all the bad symptoms---don't blame you a bit for going the bioidentical hormone route. Oh, and I'm seriously happy with the NCAA men's basketball result. It had to be one of the worst losses ever and will be talked about FOREVER. heh heh heh.

Kim, I keep my DVDs in a bookcase as well. It used to have books but I relocated/gave away the books in it. Good for you for re-purposing that bookshelf that was just going to go to the landfill!

ToddlerW, I love your use of the term "joyful energy" to describe the old workouts! That's so true of so many that I have. I guess the industry was still fairly new then and it was exciting and energizing for the instructors to feel they were part of a special movement. We put up our hummingbird feeder a few days ago and are hoping we see some. And speaking of wildlife, we were at the checkout in the garden center of Home Depot yesterday and there was a possum climbing down the fence into the garden center!!! The cashier pointed it out---crazy! There's always some spilled bird food on the floor so I bet that's what he was eating.

Nathalie, I really enjoyed working from home. It kept me away from the people who were difficult to work with, and that would have been most of the people I worked with.

bee and FN1, truly I am not special in doing the Mike D workouts. I started with the first metabolic one which Mike says isn't that difficult. I do modify the core and the impact and many times I could follow the modifier. I think I learned a lot of tricks in modification when I had the leg issue awhile back so it hasn't been too hard. I plan on trying the next metabolic one tomorrow. There are three on this disk. The other two DVDs I have of his are the HiiT one and another one that is Extreme. Don't know how I will fare with those.

bee, that is so scary about the pellets! I admit I wasn't aware of this method of delivery or that TIAs were even a risk factor. I was more concerned about the risk of cancer from the hormones.

Kate, we haven't gotten our 2nd Covid booster yet. It seems there is a lot of uncertainty as to how much it will help so we haven't been in a big hurry. We will be going soon.

Chele, I was always a cardio junkie too, since I was concerned that too much weight lifting would make me too muscular. I admit to vanity (and stupidity) and I build muscle so easily that I didn't do much of it. Fortunately I learned how important it was to lift--more important than cardio--so I included weights in my workouts years ago. I still enjoy my cardio, but high impact with crazy intensity is no longer in the cards and most likely wasn't helping me much anyway. Sometimes life teaches us lessons the hard way.

Waves to all! Hope I don't get the "error." I got interrupted in the middle of this post and came back to it so I am probably doomed....

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 09:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ok, just to be clear..... it was not the method of delivery (pellets) that caused the TIA for me...... it was the hormones. Well, that's the theory anyway. I just really wasn't a candidate and shouldn't have done them with any delivery method. Blood clots and stroke are a risk factor for hormone therapy -- similar to birth control pills, I'm sure. My sister had a pulmonary embolism while on the pill in combination with really long commute time (so lots of sitting). So, perhaps a hereditary thing.

Yes, that Duke/NC game was definitely a huge moment in history, cataddict. My son told me that court side tickets were going for either $26,000 or $32,000. I can't remember which, but I cannot fathom paying that much money for one event that's over in a couple of hours. Holy cow!!!

lavna, I hope your working at home lasts as long as it can possible be stretched out! I'd be right there with you.

Vintage, quail may be my favorite bird. One of my favorites. I love how they run in a group and then suddenly take off flying.

cataddict, what was the Bob and Brad move that helped you so much? Curious minds want to know! I definitely consult them on a regular basis.

Kim, nice job rescuing the bookshelf! It's so much fun to reorganize workout dvds, isn't it? Tell me I am not alone in that.

Today I did Iron #2 - chest/back/shoulders. I forgot to tell you that yesterday after I did legs I was just too pooped to do my PT stuff, so today I did it before the Caroline work. Tomorrow I have that Glute work on tap and it looks like I will be very sore after!

kittybug, good work on the Leah workout. Honestly I am afraid to do barre work. I think I was going some barre work when I hurt my hamstring/butt whatever I did to myself back in October, and I think that was it when I did the other side in previous years. I think I must have really bad form or something and I just feel like I can't trust myself. It's kind of a bummer because once in a while I'd like to do that kind of workout again. As horusosiris says, cross training is good -- both physically and mentally. And as Chele mentioned the other day, those light weights can really get tough!

Kate, I'm surprised Justin hasn't already had a second booster. Hopefully no side effects. Good luck with the cleaning! Somehow it is easier cleaning someone else's house.

We had a summer heat kind of day here today. Definitely a day to walk early, Vintage!! Since I'm not a fan, I'm really hoping it doesn't last, but I don't think it's supposed to. Waves to all!!
Old 04-07-22, 09:38 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

bee, here's a link to the video with the exercise that I used the Tower for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTjlDmj5LQ.

Oh, and I knew you were referring to the hormones, not the pellets. As it turns out, I probably was not a good candidate either since my dad had several strokes as well as TIAs so I'm thinking that would have put me at a higher risk as well.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 04-07-22, 11:52 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

For anyone who is interested, I just read that the Downton Abbey movie is coming out on May 20th ‘only in theaters.’

Old 04-08-22, 01:00 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

cataddict - I watched a documentary called "Hummingbirds" on Amazon Prime. It was a real eye opener. You will not feel the same about them after watching this. (Like no one felt that same about penguins after watching "March of the Penguins.") They have a really hard life.

Hummingbirds

I'm thinking of getting one of those smaller, suction cup feeders that you can put on a window.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 03:14 PM  
manleym

Kittybug wow on your story re: bio-identical hormones. I'm so sorry you went through such a traumatic experience, especially at such a young age. Can't believe the Dr would have the gall to say that to you! Totally inappropriate! And I did like CL Kick, Jump, and Jab. Didn't seem as intense as other KBox workouts, but that's ok. I liked the variety.

Kim score on the bookcase! All of my dvds and workout toys are in the closet of our TV room where I workout. I've pretty much taken over the closet.

Nathalie sorry you're going to have to go back to the office more frequently. I wouldn't mind working from home either, mainly because of the commute and not having to get up so early. It is nice being around people but I could totally work alone.

VVFer I love hummingbirds. We used to see one buzzing outside our kitchen nook window but haven't in awhile. We live on a creek so I love watching and listening to nature. The blue jays are really loud and hubby calls them a gang of thugs. I love your "joyful energy" to describe older workouts. Absolutely spot on!

Horusosiris do you ever modify your "puke in the bucket" workouts or just not do them anymore? I've been pondering this because I have quite a few of them. Wondering do I try to modify or just say it's not worth it and just stick with moderate/steady state cardio.

Cataddict the thought of being pregnant in your 50's is TERRIFYING!! No wonder you stayed on the pill so long! I've had friends do the same and they didn't suffer with menopause symptoms either. Your poor great-grandmother. I can't even imagine. And thanks for the heads up about the DA movie. We'll all have to go see it and then discuss.

Bee the cost of those tickets is shocking but I'm not surprised. It is crazy to me that anyone would pay that kind of money. But lots do because the stands were full.

I love that we're all in the same place of needing to change our cardio intensity levels, and even workouts. And dealing with ever-changing hormones and bodies. I'm sorry for all the bad hormone stories (migraines, mini-strokes, etc.) but happy for those who haven't had to deal with them!

The Benjamin Franklin documentary is in our queue. I think I want to rewatch part 1 before watching part 2 since it's been a week. Ken Burns does such good work.

Gotta run! Sorry if I missed anyone! Hugs!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 03:18 PM  
manleym

Haven't posted workouts in awhile:

Last Friday - KCM Slim Sculpting wt 1 warm up + Lauren Brooks SUAT workouts 4-6 (really liked; used band) + KCM Slim Sculpting wt 1 stretch

Saturday - Yard Max + Caroline Full Body + Distinct Dumbbell Hiit Workout - Full Body Epic Endgame Day 40 (LOVED!!! GREAT metabolic; fast; light weights; 100 reps - squat/clean & press; Cathe’s “taking off your shirt” move) + 15 Min Post Workout Deep Stretch Yoga Class - Five Parks Yoga (LOVED! Felt great!)

Sunday - Mark Lauren Mobility RX both workouts (skipped warmup for workout 2; really liked; some of same moves Tracie does but nice variations; nice range of motion/ movement to open up body)

Monday - Mark Lauren YAYOG 2 - all novice-warmup, timed supersets, ladders, circuit training, cool down (about 15-18 min each not WU/CD; felt great! Like Tracie’s mobility, will LOVE this) + Caroline IRON Series 30 Min Leg Workout - Dumbbell Leg Day 1 + 10 Minute Leg Workout Lunges at Home Workout (both GREAT! Legs jello; HR up; Caroline is time under tension)

Tuesday - IRON Series 30 Min Upper Body Workout - Shoulders, Back, Chest Day 2 (GREAT!) + 5 Minute Push Ups Workout at Home (great workout but no beeps when time was up/started; too much looking at screen for timer)

Wednesday - IRON Series 30 Min Glute Workout - Dumbbell Lower Body Day 3 + 8 Minute Glute Workout at Home Booty Band (both great!)

Thursday - CL #390 Cardio Metabolic Sweat (Great cardio; not super intense but HR up; could add risers under step to increase intensity; really liked the variety; no burpees, etc)

Today - Mark Lauren YAYOG 2 Intermediate WU, Timed Super Sets, Ladders, Circuit Training, CD (Ladders & CT definitely more intense than Novice; HR up a tad with CT) + IRON Series 30 Min Full Body Workout - Dumbbell Circuits Day 4 + Crazy Cardio Full Body Workout - No Equipment Epic Endgame Day 15 (if there's time)
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 05:46 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Friday, Watulans!!

Today was Michelle's More Cardio Strength. These workouts KICK my booty, sheesh! But tomorrow is a day off, so I wanted a challenge today.

Manleym, "gang of thugs" made me laugh so hard!!! And you're liking the Mark workouts?

Kim, so excellent you saved that bookcase. My husband did similar with a couple of HUGE planters his work was going to just toss a couple years ago, and these would be super expensive to buy! He brought them home, painted them all up to look like concrete and metal, filled them with honeysuckle for the hummies! Speaking of...

WE LOVE the hummies! I'm eagerly awaiting next month when it's time to put their feeders out. VVfer, thanks for the documentary suggestion! Will definitely watch. We have a couple that come to our feeders/honeysuckle and they get ~really~ territorial. One day they were kinda fighting and one flew so fast it ran into our back patio door, leaving feathers on the glass! It was fine, but it scared the pants off me and the cats, hah!!

So right now we're biding our time by putting peanuts out for the squirrels and also watching Walter and Ethel, our local neighborhood duck couple, waddle onto our patio and stare in the door at our chattering cats. It's like cat TV on steroids and hilarious!!

FN2, that story of your great-grandma made my heart stop....I can't even IMAGINE!!

Bee, I SO get being wary of barre (or yoga) or anything, really. I know the feeling all too well. It just sucks to "do" something wrong and not know what it was which it seems like I manage to do all. the. time. !!!!

Yikes, gotta run...have a lovely weekend, Watulans!! Hugs and waves to all!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 07:49 AM  
Mickey12

OMG, Kittybug I want to live at your house! I love wildlife so much and ducks are one of my favorite animals ever! I would go out of my mind if I had ducks on my patio like that. There is a house near ours with ducks and sometimes we see them walking down the road. I always comment that they must be going on a field trip. My husband has had to stop more than once for them to cross the road in front of him.

Cataddict the possum story was so cute! Love me some possums too. Their paws look just like little hands. I used to get them coming up on our deck to eat the cat food I put out for my sweet Winnie before I got her to come in the house.

Manley the gang of thugs description for the blue jays is so accurate. They are pretty birds but they truly are bullies. They’re not nice birds but I still like watching them at the feeder.

It will be a while yet before we put out the hummingbird feeders. They are so fun to watch. I love hearing them zip all around me when I’m sitting on the deck.

Hope you all have a great weekend my Watulans.

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in