Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-06-22, 11:28 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Interesting comments on menopause. I guess I'm what is called post-menopausal as I haven't had a period for well over 2 years.
I never went on anything except for OTC Amberen which actually has been working quite well. Helped with hot flashes although I still get them and night sweats.

My sleep is ok. I tend to nod off in my chair in the evening but fall asleep easily. Sometimes I wake up early (4-5am) but I tend to fall back to sleep.
My energy is good which I credit my exercise.
Sex - meh - take it or leave it.
I do notice an increase in hot flashes but that's because I've put on 15 lbs since Aug. Definitely stress eating.

Today I went back to Les Mills land and did Body Pump 56 which is from 2005. Has my fav Mike McSweeney leading. He was superb. I like Glen O. ok but Mike was the best and hot stuff if you ask me!
The tons of reps make it a lower weight workout but oh so good. Lots of energy, great tunes and burn!

Ready for some Yin this afternoon and then hubby and I are going in for our 2nd Covid boosters. Justin gets his tomorrow.

Hugs to all!!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 11:55 AM  
horusosiris

Iron Series day 3- glute focus. That was a good workout and my glutes are feeling it.

I watched episode 2 of Benjamin Franklin last night. I won't give anything away since I know some have not watched it yet. I would love to know your impressions of episode two.

Chel- too much cardio (especially high intensity cardio) can definitely increase cortisol levels and lead to weight gain. I use to love "puke in the bucket" cardio but learned that more moderate cardio is better for most people. Once I stopped the crazy long cardio session, I felt better and looked better. I think Cathe has learned this too. Her recent cardio workouts are definitely shorter than the earlier ones. I do strength training (all different types) 3-5 x weekly. Actually, as you have been doing, variety is the sweet exercise spot- barre, yoga, mobility, strength training, metabolic etc.

Kitty- I hear you on the need for "quiet."
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 01:43 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

So behind, yikes!

bee - that is very scary about the pellets!

Menopause was about 15 years ago. I had hot flashes and night sweats. I did several rounds of estradiol patches and progesterone pills. They helped me feel better and helped my bone density. I'd probably still be on them but the insurance started telling me I was too old. I still use estradiol cream for the lady parts.

The worst part was forgetting where I parked my car. I started using hiking/orienteering techniques to remember my car's location. When I see a woman of a certain age wandering around the parking lot, I'm pretty sure it's the menopausal brain fog.

I haven't slept well in so long. Menopause didn't make it better or worse.

Today, I actually did a morning workout for the first time in forever. It was hill walk day and it is supposed to get very hot today. So, off I went before 9:30 a.m. It was nice. I saw hummingbirds and a lizard. And, I was totally surprised and happy to see some quail. We had several families of quail at the house and I was going to miss them. I don't know how they manage around here with so many busy streets.

Hugs to all!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 05:01 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Chel- too much cardio (especially high intensity cardio) can definitely increase cortisol levels and lead to weight gain. I use to love "puke in the bucket" cardio but learned that more moderate cardio is better for most people. Once I stopped the crazy long cardio session, I felt better and looked better. I think Cathe has learned this too. Her recent cardio workouts are definitely shorter than the earlier ones. I do strength training (all different types) 3-5 x weekly. Actually, as you have been doing, variety is the sweet exercise spot- barre, yoga, mobility, strength training, metabolic etc.
This is quite timely as I have lately been really appreciating the different levels of intensity of her Live workouts. For example, today I was hoping for pretty low to moderate intensity and did her CL 389, Kick, Jump, and Jab, hoping it wasn't much in the Jump category, hah! It was perfect, just what I needed today, because I'm feeling worn out!!

And now with all of your comments I'm realizing my worn out, creaky sore knees and elbows and other joints are CRAVING a return to my barre and yoga workouts that I've been neglecting due to back injury fears. Sigh. Good food for thought, Watulans, thank you!! I'll get it all figured out one day.

Vvfer, I loves me some hummingbirds!! Do you have roadrunners in your area? I used to get such a huge kick out of them when we lived in the desert down there.

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 05:33 PM  
Mickey12

Alta I love spotting wildlife on my walks. So fun that you saw some.

Wow, there has been a lot of posts in our little thread lately, I love it!

So, I rescued a bookcase that was being discarded at work. I'm going to bring it home tomorrow for my workout DVDs. I will be rearranging them again and likely will be able to get rid of three smaller stands now that I have this other bookcase. It's solid wood and in great shape. I could not bear to see it get thrown in the trash.

I also posted this in the Vintage Dustbunny thread: Today I did G Force Ultimate Step. Another GREAT workout!! The music was really good, sort of techno mix of very recognizable songs. Actually I would have preferred if they just used the regular songs instead of mixing them the way they did. But anyway, Michael Jackson was in there - super great! The choreography was mostly low impact and they repeat it enough times that I was able to grasp most of it on the first try. My least favorite section was Patrick's. His choreography just doesn't seem to agree with me as I always end up on the wrong foot with him. But despite this, it was super fun! Loved it!

Hope you all have a great evening.
Old 04-06-22, 05:51 PM  
lavna

Hi Watulans!

I did my usual Thursday workout today as I have to go to the office tomorrow. For the moment, we have to go to the office 1 day per week as the technical infrastructures need to be upgraded so it's max. 25% per department on-site. Gradually, it will increase to 2 days per week, depending how fast the uppdate goes. I'm not in a hurry! I'm among the ones who love workong from home as there isn't much benefit to going to the office except seeing people in person!

So, today I did Caroline's 20 Minute Bodyweight Leg Workout | Calisthenics Giant Sets (except for the hamstrings) followed by her 20 Min INTENSE GLUTE WORKOUT at Home with Resistance Band. I was a good combination! I think I need to work for on my glutes as I think it will help my lower back and hip problems.

I recorded the Benjamin Franklin documentary on PBS but haven't seen it yet. Ken Burns usually has good programs.

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-22, 06:06 PM  
lavna

I divided my post in parts because I'm afraid of the 500 error as it takes me quite a while to type!

I'm post-menopausal but I know that hot flashes can continue for a while even after our periods have stopped. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get them when I'm still in my 70s!

kittybug: You are so right that hormones are tricky and it's always changing.

Kim and Kate: How lucky you were to go through menopause easily!

VVfer: I'm with you on the sleep issue. I've always been a lousy sleeper. Menopause only made it worse!

I saw on threads relating to Pahla Bowers that many peopole said they lost weight when they started doing lighter workouts. I think that there used to be a way of thinking that to lose weight or to increase strength, we should do more but I think that this way of thinking is changing, especially for women around menopause. Of course, everyone is different and we should do what we like and what suits us. That's the most important thing!

Have a great evening!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 08:53 AM  
ChelePA

Peloton workouts for today. 5 minutes of standing abs as a warmup. All for One cycling class. Each instructor did one song. Loved the variety! 10 minutes flow yoga, focus on the core. 10 minutes of calf and glute foam rolling/stretching.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 10:40 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post

GREAT INFO!!! I am definitely going away from "puke" workouts. Yes I want to work hard, but I'm really starting to realize that I have to adjust my workouts. Not going to stop lifting heavy though..not yet. But my cardio is mellowing out and I'm not doing wicked Yoga practices either. I'm liking a bit mellower good-for-my-spirit practices.

Speaking of cardio workouts, today I did Body Attack 72. It's older and Lisa is 9 months pregnant!! Of course she totally modified the whole thing but was still drenched in sweat. Very inspiring. I did a mix of higher impact with the lower. It was great. I was drenched too.

Taking off early today to take Justin to get his 2nd covid booster and then I told him I'd help him do some house cleaning. Isn't it always more fun to clean someone else's house?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 02:11 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

kittybug - There aren't any roadrunners here. There were a few at the house. I love those little guys, even if they really don't say, "Beep! Beep!"

Mickey12 - I'm glad you're enjoying those vintage workouts. Some of the oldies have better music and a more joyful energy.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in