Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-21, 09:06 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Yesterday I did a low impact cardio workout with Chris Dorner. Today was Cathe Live #336 Low Impact Cardio Compound Upper Body. The past few days the pain has been a little less, but I've also been taking a pretty strong anti-inflammatory med so I'm sure that had at least something to do with it. I was able to do the Cathe workout today with no pain at all so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm on the mend. I'll know more tomorrow morning since that's when it seems to be at its worst.

manley, welcome back! Glad your trip was good and you got some quality time with the grandnephew. I don't think I knew you used to run? Why did you stop?

Kim. I never got into running either. I think repetition doesn't suit my body for whatever reason.

Chele, I do mobility work after my "regular" workout. I think it works better when my muscles are warmer, at least for me.

Kate, sending hugs.

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 10:50 PM  
ChelePA

Kim…thanks for the kind words. Also not a runner. Find it boring and not enjoyable. My sister talked about the runner high. Never happened for me. But definitely felt the cycling high I think if I had the ability Peloton offers walk-run classes. That might be more my speed. Sort of like a HIIT workout.

Manleym… thanks for the input regarding mobility workouts and the back stretch technique. Loved hearing about the special time with your nephew! My niece announced her pregnancy at Christmas. So excited to have another great niece or nephew in the family. Not due until July. And I’m not surprised you were able to run 3 miles. The workouts you do definitely prepared you for that intensity. Congrats!

Cataddict… maybe that’s why the mobility workout did wonders for me in the middle between walking and cycling. I was already warmed up from the 20 minute walk.
Glad to hear your pain was somewhat better today. Hoping it continues to improve.

Today was another 20 minute Peloton walk. I have definitely increased my speed some and hitting the half mile mark around 17 minutes. I then did a 20 minute 80s cycling class. Loved every song! I think they picked all my favorites. I added on a 10 minute light weights class. High repetition. The only muscle group that I can increase the dumbbell size to feel the burn is biceps. Otherwise I’m trembling at 2 pounds. I finished with the timesaver mobility stretch by Cathe.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-21, 12:39 PM  
horusosiris

Today I did a Total Gym workout and a Debra Atkinson workout.

Mickey- I watched Six Feet Under years ago. A friend is watching Succession and keeps telling me to watch it. Yes, all of Amy Bento's 10 minute solution DVDs are good.

Chel- I do some mobility work most days. I generally do stretching/mobility after every workouts and once a week a longer dedicated stretch workout that always includes some foam rolling.. Cody App (now ALO) had some good mobility workouts, Jessica Smith's stretch DVDs are decent. Cathe's Stretch Max and Total Body Stretching are good. The Lastic DVDs are good. The Get Bent DVDs are good but are advanced for my level of flexibility. Some of the best short segment flexibility workouts were done by Bodylastics.

Manelym- So happy that you had a great time in Georgia.

Waves to Everyone!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-21, 05:53 PM  
ChelePA

Thanks horusosiris for all the recommendations.

So now half our family has runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, etc. So far everyone is testing negative. But who knows if that will change. Everyone started with symptoms at the same time. Five days later from Christmas. All boosted so maybe it’s a cold or the other variant. Numbers are crazy high here.

Today I beat a few of my typical milestones. Depending on the cycling class, I usually do between 8 and 8 1/2 miles within 30 minutes. Today I did 9 miles. It’s the top 50 countdown of peloton‘s most played music. So 10 of the songs were played in this class and they were awesome. Maybe I was more motivated listening to these excellent tunes. Then walking on the treadmill I hit the half mile mark at 16 minutes. It was 17 minutes a few days ago. Finished up with 20 minutes of core and stretching from peloton also.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 01:06 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

TGIF!! Where did this week go? Any New Year's plans for anyone? I'll be lucky if I can even get close to midnight. zzzzzzzz
Chemo got postponed again. Labs were high (bilirubin) but the CT scan did not show anything around his liver stint. He has a PET scan Monday that his dad is taking him to then we have 2 more appointments next week.

horusosiris: I really like Tony and his goofiness. More and more I am disliking burpees. If pushups are in a warmup I tend to do them on my knees. Not keen on jumping jacks either but ok.

cataddict: yes the garage looks better but if it was up to me, a lot more would go. FYI - your kitty avatar scared me at first!

ChelePA: I personally like the mobility stuff AFTER a workout. Loosens things up. I don't stretch a whole lot in warmups, just get things mobile and moving.
You are such a dear person..keep your head up!

manleym: I have BB4 on my wish list. I can't believe I have never tried it.

Kim: I will have to check out that series.

So Wednesday was a bit of a bust but Justin did get the CT scan which was a lifesaver. We were afraid he would end up in the hospital again.

Yesterday I found a new Body Combat 88 on Les Mills on Demand so that was a no-brainer. I'll drop just about anything for a BC workout! Great stuff and they finally had an audience plus people exercising on the roof! Great workout.

Today I jumped back to Cathe live and did 375 Xmas Ball and 376 New year's Countdown workouts. 48 and 28 minutes. I cut out the cooldown on 375. Super super fun!! Xmas Ball is almost entirely on a stability ball and Cathe rotates thru upper, lower, core in no particular order. The leg work was all unweighted.

NY Countdown was fun too. 10 cardio moves done in descending rep order. Easiest move was 10 reps down to 1 rep for the hardest cardio. Then 5 weighted moves - very light and metabolic. Then the cardio countdown again, then 5 new weighted moves. It really was fun and the two were perfect together.

No plans for me tonight. I'll be lucky if I can stay awake until midnight.

Are we starting a new thread for the new year?

Happy New Year girls!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 02:59 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I've done another low impact cardio from Chris Dorner and also did Cathe's latest Live #376 New Year's Countdown. Kate described the Live, and I agree with her comments. I paired it with the Chris Dorner cardio since I'm still babying my lower body and a bit concerned about using the ball yet. I haven't decided what I will do today.

Kate, the new avatar is the "scary" kitten Olly. Terrifying, isn't he? I did think he looked kind of scary with that wide open mouth but he is also very vocal.

Chele, it stinks that your family has sniffling etc. DH has been sniffling and coughing but he tends to get bad allergies so we think that's his issue. He doesn't have a fever or any other Covid symptoms so we are keeping an eye on him to make sure nothing progresses. So many people are getting tested now it might be hard to get it done at this point. Awesome that you are making improvement and hitting some milestones.

horusosiris, thanks for the recs on some mobility work to try. I think I may have finally learned I need to do more of this to prevent injury.

We don't usually do anything New Year's Eve. Since DH is now retired and doesn't have to work tomorrow he will actually be awake at midnight (don't think he has been since we've been married ). We will celebrate in our family room with some PA wine and some mindless TV. We've been revisiting St Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues, both of which we watched back in the day but neither of us remembers specific episodes so it's new to us again.

Waves and hugs to all and in case I don't get back here today HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 03:27 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Watulans!! It's almost a new year, so I think we need to start a new 2022 check-in, what do you all think? This thread got really long again! And I've been MIA for way too long, my apologies!! Been struggling a lot lately with a lot of things in my world, work being one of which I'm terribly unhappy with and attempting to make some changes.

So reader's digest version of workouts lately, I did weeks upon weeks of some pretty intense stuff working one body part per day until I just had to take a break. This week I've been revisiting some really metabolic stuff (like Patrick, etc.) and ventured into trying Travis' new PY 108 series (without pain, thus far, crossing fingers and toes!). I also took some days off just because I felt like it, hah! Oh, and also, we've been pounded by snow lately (with more to come) and I'm doing Shovel Max way more than I'd like. I think it's gonna be a snowmageddon kind of winter. We're actually considering a move...somewhere warmer...somewhere south!

FN2, Olly is absolutely ferocious! What a beautiful little face I just wanna smooch!! I too am dealing with some hip/hip flexor frustrations, my friend.

KateTT, where did the YEAR go, hah!! Crossing fingers for Justin's appointments next week.

ChelePA, your progress and attitude are amazing. Congrats on the treadmill!!! You have been my inspiration in the last many weeks when I just feel like I can't bring myself to work out...I think what would Chele do? And then I work out.

Manleym, so glad your family trip was awesome! And the runner's high...I wish I could run too like the others mentioned. I wonder if it's like the dancer's high, hah!?

FOLV, I'll be cheering you on for the NY marathon but I won't be participating myself unless Chore Max counts? And uh-oh, I need a new word for next year. Hmm....

Kim, I keep seeing Succession on HBO and always click past it so now you have me wanting to check it out! Hope you're feeling better now.

Bee, how is your injury doing? Any better?

Nathalie, how are YOU doing? Getting some down time, I hope?

Horusosiris, I'm (once again) considering rejoining Cathe Live because you all talk about it so much and make me have FOMO!!

BabyW, big hugs to you!!! (PS...I absolutely LOVE Japanese monster movies!)

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and will have a lovely New Year's too. And I hope I didn't miss anybody...it's hard to catch up after being so MIA, so my apologies again! I think I'll start us a new check-in for 2022 later today if we're all in agreement (or somebody else can) so until then, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 04:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Happy New Year, my fierce friends!

kittybug, I'm sorry life has been so chaotic and not fun for you lately. I hope you figure out some changes that make it great. Sounds like things are percolating. Hope your hip flexor problem gets better, too!

cataddict, how's your pain today? You didn't mention it either way in your most recent post. I loved St. Elsewhere and Hills St. Blues back in the day -- fun to revisit! I also was at first startled by the Olly avatar at first glance but then I could tell what it was and I just laughed!

Kate, I'm sure you're so relieved Justin didn't have to go to the hospital. Good luck with the appointments this week. Those two Cathe Lives you mention sound fun -- may check out the cardio one and see if this old decrepit body could handle it.

horusosiris, I'm always amazed by the many instructors you do, but still manage to get in so much quantity of Cathe workouts, too. I guess it's because you double up pretty often.

Chele, how's everyone at your house feeling? I have heard about so many people having colds in the last few days -- everyone paranoid at first, but so far the people I've heard about have tested negative. Sounded like a very fun peloton -- you are amazing!

Kim, I don't have HBO but I am so close to signing up -- there's so much there I want to watch! I just saw a trailer for The Undoing which looked pretty good. Nicole Kidman is such a great actress. I want to watch the Ricardos movie on prime, too.

manleym, so fun to hear about your family trip! I'll bet that was a huge boost for your morale. I'm not at all surprised to hear you could run those three miles, either. You're in Fierce shape, after all!! I am right there with you on feeling that exhilaration from running, but.... it's been quite a while for me. Not sure I'll ever quite manage it again. Who knows. Glad you had fun.

Waves to Nathalie, Linda, and Vintage!

My pain actually felt a little better after a workout this morning. I did a quick Healthy U TV walking workout for a warm up and then did that "really hard upper body" (or whatever it's called) again from Caroline. Then I sat at my computer for a while and everything started to hurt again. So I'm just trying to pay really close attention to what I do and do not do and whether it hurts more or less.... trying to zero in on how I can feel better.

No big NY plans here -- I'm making a bunch of appetizers from Half Baked Harvest (website) for dinner and I think the four of us may have a movie marathon, though knowing DH and I, it might not be much of a marathon as we tend to fall asleep pretty early. Happy New Year, all! I hope we all have a better 2022!!
Old 12-31-21, 05:03 PM  
manleym

Happy New Year's Eve All! Hope you all have something fun planned. We don't do anything either, meaning we don't go out and will be in bed by 10. We always have smoked salmon, etc. with wine. And we'll watch a movie. Not sure which one yet.

Hubby hasn't been feeling great either, but that is typical after traveling. He gets sick every year that we travel - covid or no covid. Been that way for years. He always starts feeling badly about a day before we leave (wherever we are) and is down for a couple of days when we get home. He's feeling alot better today and I've felt fine. We did go to a drive through Covid testing site yesterday and it was packed. We waited longer for the site to open than for testing. But I knew if we didn't get there early it would be crazy. And it was. The car line was out on the street and the parking lot was full. Thankfully, no one else from Christmas (my family) is symptomatic and all have been vaccinated. And hubby is SUPER careful - always wears a mask wherever we go. He wears it whenever he's in public - doesn't matter where or for how long or size of crowd. The main reason we went for testing is to see if I need to quarantine since I return to work on Monday. We're waiting for results, which I think might take awhile since they system is overloaded. I had to pick up a prescription at CVS today and had to wait in drive through for quite awhile because several people in front of me were testing for Covid. Should have parked and gone inside - just didn't think about it until it was too late. But it gave me time to decide what workout I wanted to do today since it's Fun Friday AND the last workout of 2021. That's a big decision.

I also did CL #376 New Year’s Countdown yesterday and liked it for a quick cardio. Not too repetitive or too much of one exercise, etc. I followed it with #230 Twenty Five, which was a great metabolic workout that worked well with NYC.

Ok, so this is quirky weird. As I mentioned above I decided to do a fun workout since it's Fun Friday and it had to be "good" since it's the last workout of the year. So while sitting in the line at CVS, I decided to do a Cathe. Patrick and Christi were obviously in the mix since they are the King and Queen of fun. Originally I thought about IMax 2 but wanted a little weights in the mix. So when I got home it was between The Gauntlet and The Viper. I chose Viper because I don't remember doing it and it was a GREAT workout! Tough! Whew I was tired! I went back to look at my notes to see what workout I did Jan 1st of 2021, and guess what? It was The Viper!! Doo-doo-doo-doo!!!!! And I had done The Gauntlet a few days before doing the Viper. Totally coincidental and unplanned, but kind of cool that I did the same workout the 1st and last day of the year. I don't think it was any easier this time than Jan 1st. It made me think about starting a tradition of doing the same workout the first and last day of the year. Now just to decide which one.....

Happy New Year!!! I'm looking forward to 2022 with each of you and our group!!! Best group ever!!!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 05:39 PM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by manleym View Post

Ok, so this is quirky weird. As I mentioned above I decided to do a fun workout since it's Fun Friday and it had to be "good" since it's the last workout of the year. So while sitting in the line at CVS, I decided to do a Cathe. Patrick and Christi were obviously in the mix since they are the King and Queen of fun. Originally I thought about IMax 2 but wanted a little weights in the mix. So when I got home it was between The Gauntlet and The Viper. I chose Viper because I don't remember doing it and it was a GREAT workout! Tough! Whew I was tired! I went back to look at my notes to see what workout I did Jan 1st of 2021, and guess what? It was The Viper!! Doo-doo-doo-doo!!!!! And I had done The Gauntlet a few days before doing the Viper. Totally coincidental and unplanned, but kind of cool that I did the same workout the 1st and last day of the year. I don't think it was any easier this time than Jan 1st. It made me think about starting a tradition of doing the same workout the first and last day of the year. Now just to decide which one.....
What a great coincidence! And a great way to start and end the year!
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watulan check-in