Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-16, 10:56 AM  
TinaT

Help me with Cathe ... Thanks!

There is so much out there when it comes to Cathe. Had I used her as she grew here collection of workouts, I wouldn't be so overwhelmed. But I haven't used her very much, other than her beginner step when it first came out.

I know she has MANY series to choose from. Does she have a beginner/no impact series? Intermediate that modifies easily to beginner? I say beginner, because that probably equates to intermediate with other instructors. Yes - no?

I love my weight work and want to use lighter weights but still break a sweat. I revisited Margaret Richard and I'm passing for now.

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:11 AM  
bubbles76

Cathe does not have a beginner/no impact series. She has a low (not no) impact series, but it's high intensity. I think the series that she has that is easier to modifer (though possibly not to absolute beginner) is the No Name Series that came out that includes Flex Train and the others. Actually, that was not intended to be a series, but people call it the No Name Series . Dvds of hers I like to use when I want Cathe but like to take it down a notch:
  • Supersets
  • Push Pull
  • Any strength work from 4DS
  • STS Cardio
  • Pyramids - if you use dumbbells. In the past, I've found it too fast paced to use with a barbell, but your mileage may vary
  • FlexTrain, Lean Legs and Abs, Great Glutes, and the others from that "set"

I have ICE, but have not explored it. I also love Xtrain, but if you are worried about impact, Xtrain is out. Unless you want to modify it a lot. It's easily modified, except for maybe Tabatacise. That's nearly all high impact.

ETA: Power Hour, Muscle Endurance, and High Reps are high rep/low weights if you are looking for that. I do sweat with those.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:22 AM  
muggle

Cathes Low Impact series has alot to offer but certainly not for beginners. I think Athletic training is listed as intermediate. The ICE series is intermediate with a bazillion premixes. I know it's tough to choose! Too many choices, right? You could also try her On Demand for a month and have ALL of them to pick what you want. Do as many as you can then figure out what to purchase.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:31 AM  
cherimac

Other than the old Basic Step/Body Fusion, no. Cathe isn't for beginners and isn't that easy to modify. Just my opinion. I found her weight work overkill in the extreme. But that's me. YMMV.
Old 10-02-16, 11:33 AM  
TinaT

I'm already thinking, from the responses, to not worry about Cathe. And I'm good with that. I guess she has had such a huge following I needed to make sure I wasn't missing out on a series that would work well with where I'm at. Seems the answer is NO.

Moving on....
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

The Cathes i like have these characteristics:
  • her strength workouts
  • high step (because it moves slowly and is like The Firm)
  • kickboxing

her step cardio workouts, except for a few of them, involve complex choreo, and i have avoided those.

that said, the Cathe's that i own and use are:
Slow & Heavy
Pyramids
Pure Strength
Gymstyles
Trisets
Basic Step
Super sets/Push Pull
Kick Punch & Crunch/Legs & Glutes
High Step Circuit
High Step Training
KickMax
Cardio & Weights
How to Get In Shape for Your Wedding (VHS only)
Travel Fit (what a delightful workout!)

There's some that i didn't list, only because i haven't used them too often. For the ones listed above, I'll use the premixes that aren't too long, and i'll follow the modifier whenever needed - usually if it's for step cardio.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:48 AM  
Tugger31

With the exception of possibly her advanced Ripped With HiiT series, STS, and ICE I don't feel there is anything particularly magical with any of her "sets/series". I think if you're still interested in Cathe you can still purchase a few separate dvds to make your own "series" b/c I feel in each set/series there are some that are easier, and some harder. And, some from each set that have more of a fun factor and others more of a dread factor. If you still want to purchase a few Cathe's, what are you looking for in particular? Weights, step, circuits, etc??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 11:57 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I am a huge fan of Cathe's ICE series but it's not beginner either, it's intermediate. I have tried most of the workouts and they are challenging but doable for me. I like Cathe but most of her stuff is way too advanced for me, I am not into heavy duty weight work anymore and am over the endless reps that are sometimes in her workouts.

ICE is the first series that she has a modifier in Amanda, which helps. Although I have seen some exercises modified in other workouts, it's been minimal.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 01:23 PM  
PhyllisG

I was a big Cathe fan for years and really only did her workouts following her monthly rotations. Then I just got tired of endless reps, endless equipment and feeling wiped out. Got rid of all my DVDs. But I did purchase 3 from the ICE series and really like them. It was great working out with Cathe again.
I really like Pyramids and the total body premix is great.
Also Cathe offers lots of premixes do you can start off with a shorter premix and work up to longer versions.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 06:09 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I gave up Cathe many years ago. Just way too intense....too much for me.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe beginner, cathe intermediate