Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-16, 04:20 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

crepes - tips needed

i did some research on the good old internet, including youtube, of making crepes, particularly Alton Brown.

i have some questions:

1) can i just use a regular pan instead of a crepe pan?
2) can i turn it over with a regular spatula/egg turner, or do i need to flip it

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 07:56 AM  
BunnyHop

I prefer using a non stick skillet, or well seasoned cast iron, since otherwise the crepes can soak up too much oil/butter for my taste.

I've always just used a spatula of some kind to turn them.

I actually have a non-stick crepe pan that I bought a long time ago at a discount store, but as nice as it is, it's totally not essential.
Old 09-28-16, 11:33 PM  
videofit

I've always used a nonstick 8" frying pan. I haven't made them in years but I'm thinking because the batter is so thin, it doesn't have to be turned over. The bottom browns and the top is pale which doesn't matter when you roll them up since it won't be seen.
Old 10-01-16, 08:43 AM  
Lulu Belle

I have a cast iron crepe pan that is well seasoned. I think you could use a normal cast iron pan too. I start the pan heating up around medium temperature while I prepare the batter. But the batter is always better if you leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours, but we never think about making crepes early! When the batter is complete, the pan will usually be good and hot. Then I put butter in the pan. It'll be moderately sizzly, but you don't want any indication that it will burn. Then I pour in the batter. I never use a standard spatula - I have a very thin one that I use to frost cakes that I also use for crepes. This I just slide in at an edge of the crepe and flip it over. There should be absolutely no sticking. The crepe should really almost slide around on its own. I make crepes quite often. Our family digs them.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-16, 03:57 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu Belle View Post
I have a cast iron crepe pan that is well seasoned. I think you could use a normal cast iron pan too. I start the pan heating up around medium temperature while I prepare the batter. But the batter is always better if you leave it in the refrigerator for a few hours, but we never think about making crepes early! When the batter is complete, the pan will usually be good and hot. Then I put butter in the pan. It'll be moderately sizzly, but you don't want any indication that it will burn. Then I pour in the batter. I never use a standard spatula - I have a very thin one that I use to frost cakes that I also use for crepes. This I just slide in at an edge of the crepe and flip it over. There should be absolutely no sticking. The crepe should really almost slide around on its own. I make crepes quite often. Our family digs them.
you're right - Alton Brown (chef and host of one of those reality cooking shows) mentioned that refrigerating the batter for at least 1 hour gets rid of the bubbles. i watched him demonstrate his crepe skills using a non-stick pan that had a little bit of butter in it, and he flipped it like, well.... a pro! the two ladies who were with him weren't as lucky - one of them couldn't flip it. the other one might have used a spatula.

Bunny Hop - i thought about your comment, that too much butter soaks into the batter. i saw a nice anodized pan today in the store. i might try it with my standard non-stick pan and this very thin spatula.

has anyone made them ahead of time and refrigerated them? any tips on that? i'm bringing the crepe "shells" to a party, and having the guest assemble it on their own.

thanks everyone for the tips!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 10-02-16, 08:08 AM  
BunnyHop

I've never made them ahead in quantity, but years ago I made this recipe by Smitten Kitchen for a gateau de crepes and it made a nice big batch of batter, in case that's useful.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/06/having-my-cake/
Old 10-03-16, 02:28 PM  
Sollamyn

I used to make crepes when I was in high school, for French Club fundraisers, and I know for a fact that we used whatever pans and tools my mom already had in the kitchen. So--to answer your question, in one word: no. No special pans or kitchen tools are required.

Donna
Old 10-06-16, 02:41 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i had to post..... i found a cast iron crepe pan in goodwill - for $4.99! the pan has the inscription "made in france" molded into the bottom underneath, so i looked it up online... and OMG, it's a $99 pan sold at places like Williams-Sonoma, BBB, and Amazon (the brand name "Staub" is not shown anywhere on the pan).

here's a link of the exact pan:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...eader-spatula/

i don't have the wooden spreader or the spatula, but heck.... for $4.99 i am singing the Goodwill praises! it looks like it's never been used or seasoned, so i'm going to season it.

i can see myself making tortillas, eggs, ethiopian flatbread, naan and other yummy things.

Old 10-06-16, 03:09 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

by the way, i made 8 crepes last night using one of my mom's non-stick pans. it's kind of old, and the non-stick surface has deteriorated. however, it's the right size. i used a small amount of oil on the pan, and it worked out OK.

but now that i have a REAL pan, i'm hopeful. the WS pan got a solid, 5-star review on the WS site.

Old 10-06-16, 06:48 AM  
BunnyHop

Score!

Have fun with your new pan.