Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-16, 09:34 AM  
zoegirl

Abs/core - to work or not to work?

Good morning, friends! While I have never had flat or firm abs, my midsection has continued to spread since menopause (or at least that is what I am blaming it on). There is so much information out there about diet vs exercise, and I have heard frequently that until the fat is gone (via diet) there is not much point in working your abs. What have your experiences been? I'm not looking for a six pack, just wanting to bring things in a little. Would I be wasting my time if I don't lose weight first? And why, oh why, is it so hard to lose 5 pounds at this point in my life???
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 09:50 AM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
I have heard frequently that until the fat is gone (via diet) there is not much point in working your abs.
I have heard this in regards to wanting a "six pack". Obviously, your abdominal muscles will not be visible until the fat is gone, which I agree that diet is a big part of fat loss. However, I still do isolated ab exercises because I work all my other muscles, so why should abs be any different? Personally, I want my core region to be strong and abdominal muscles are part of the core.

I don't think you would be wasting your time.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 10:12 AM  
Demeris

Maybe not focus on the abdominus rectus only but work your whole core. This is so much more than an aesthetic issue, although working your core will give you the strength in those muscles to cinch them in when you want. Your core is important for balance, for posture, for pushing and pulling strength.

Almost all exercise can work your core, if you consciously engage those muscles while you workout.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 10:37 AM  
alisoncooks

I always skipped ab/core work. One, because I hated it. Two, because I was lucky to have a fairly flat midsection naturally (at least, until DD#2 came along).

That said, I wish I hadn't skipped it all these years. I firmly believe a weak core is partially to blame for my current knee issues (muscle imbalances & all that). I've definitely changed my tune these days (MOST of my workouts center around core/glutes/balance).

I say, even if you don't see physical improvement, it has to help to do some core work.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 10:45 AM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiletha444 View Post
i have heard this in regards to wanting a "six pack". Obviously, your abdominal muscles will not be visible until the fat is gone, which i agree that diet is a big part of fat loss. However, i still do isolated ab exercises because i work all my other muscles, so why should abs be any different? Personally, i want my core region to be strong and abdominal muscles are part of the core. :d

i don't think you would be wasting your time.
ita
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 10:48 AM  
cherimac

A strong core does SO much for our bodies! It's not just about aesthetics. When I started a regular Pilates practice my low back and hip/QL tightness vanished.
Old 09-21-16, 10:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Like Alison I used to hate core work and avoided it. But I have really gotten into Pilates lately and love it. I believe core work helps with balance, posture, and relieving & preventing low back pain. So yes, I think it's worth it!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 11:50 AM  
blueskies

I will be the lone dissenter (so far) and say I do not specifically work my core/do ab exercises, and find it unnecessary for my goals. I can effectively work the abs during other exercises, since they function as stabilizers.

What I have discovered works, and does not work, for me (YMMV):

***Diet, diet, diet!!! I have the best-looking abs of my life now thanks to my fat loss plan. No core work necessary.

***Pilates and similar systems have always caused me injury and back problems, so I avoid them like the plague.

***Ab-focused workouts have built up my abs too much, creating a thickened midsection--especially traditional crunches, standing ab side crunches (a la Slim in 6), etc.

***Concentrating on using my abs to stabilize me during standing exercises, push ups, and leg floor work has given me beautiful results.

I'm very excited because for the past month, I've been doing a shortened form of Slim in 6 (using selected portions of BIU and KIU), in addition to my 10K steps, to improve my body shaping results I obtained from my eating plan. I've since lost an additional 1% body fat (now down to 17-18%), and have managed to keep the workouts to a reasonable 20 minutes. I will be posting more details about it soon, once my 6-8 week experiment is up.

What I do during the shortened Si6 workouts is really laser-focus on the core--using those muscles for stabilization while doing the other exercises. It works fantastically, and no extra time is necessary for ab-specific work!

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 12:08 PM  
zoegirl

OK, Cheri and Pam, any pilates DVDs you would recommend? I am looking at Tracy Mallett's DVD with the ball. Any others you recommend for someone who dreads and avoids core work? I have Cathe's ICE series with the ab add-ons and lots of Suzanne Bowen. I just usually skip over the ab portions.

Thank you, everyone! Keep the ideas coming! I love hearing your experiences!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-16, 12:30 PM  
schoolgirl-01

all movement is dependent on the core and therefore it's important to keep those muscles fit and supple.

most of the dvds i do have some core work as part of the workout so i'll always do those.

then one workout a week is a dvd for the core - lately that is Coregeous by Jill Miller of Yoga Tune Up
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote