Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-16, 10:19 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

In-depth article about Billy Blanks

He's still very active at 60, with 2 new programs coming up, and apparently he's reconciled with Billy Jr.
http://www.racked.com/2016/9/15/1290...o-billy-blanks

One of the new programs:
http://www.taeboevolution.com/

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 12:45 PM  
wlorrie

Interesting article. Thanks for posting!
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 01:55 PM  
andtckrtoo

Funny. I did mainly hiking, cycling and stuff at the gym (cardio stuff). Then I joined a Tae Kwon Do, Krav studio that was literally next door to the company where i worked. I loved fighting, but when my company moved again, the trek back to the old studio was not feasible. I then found Billy Blanks. He had good form, and the moves were fast and fun. Through the online forums there, I found Cathe, and eventually VF. I appreciate what Billy did for me. But goodness, could he please come up with a workout that didn't require more lame equipment? I have his boxing gloves attached to bands that go on your feet. I have his old bands.... I'd be happy with just good punching and kicking drills (without the count of 8 please - or the option to turn that off), even sides, with no gimmicks.
Old 09-15-16, 03:07 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Funny. I did mainly hiking, cycling and stuff at the gym (cardio stuff). Then I joined a Tae Kwon Do, Krav studio that was literally next door to the company where i worked. I loved fighting, but when my company moved again, the trek back to the old studio was not feasible. I then found Billy Blanks. He had good form, and the moves were fast and fun. Through the online forums there, I found Cathe, and eventually VF. I appreciate what Billy did for me. But goodness, could he please come up with a workout that didn't require more lame equipment? I have his boxing gloves attached to bands that go on your feet. I have his old bands.... I'd be happy with just good punching and kicking drills (without the count of 8 please - or the option to turn that off), even sides, with no gimmicks.
Good punching and kicking would be great! When I saw that clip, I thought the same thing- Do I really need any more equipment when light dumbbells would do just fine! I also would love it if Billy would lose the 8 counts. I stopped doing any of his workouts because of those incessant 8 counts. I loved the great music in his old Advanced Live workouts. I hope the new Tae Bo workouts have some awesome tracks like those old live workouts. I also wish that Billy would maybe team up with Beachbody for a series of workouts. Actually, I wish that Billy would do some workouts for BBOD.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 07:32 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

The counting gets on my last nerve too, as well as close-ups of his sweaty ear, but the article seems to say that's his "trademark" that probably isn't going away.

That bendy bar looks familiar. Wasn't it or something like it on the Jillian Michaels fitness entrepreneur series? It looks a little Shake Weight-y

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 03:42 PM  
Vantreesta

As someone with diagnosed OCD, his counting makes me feel right at home!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 08:32 PM  
wendug

Thanks for posting this article. Billy will always hold a special place in my heart. I didn't jump on the Taebo wagon when it was first popular. I was mainly a firmie in the late 90s. My first introduction to kickboxing was through Aaron Lankford's Power Kicks. I liked the moves in kickboxing, but the video was so boring! I think it was in 2003 a friend let me borrow a Taebo video. Billy's personality far exceeded Aaron Lankford and the workout left me a sweaty mess. Plus, it was much kinder to my joints than traditional hi/lo aerobics. I added many of Billy's DVD's to my collection and branched out to other kickboxing instructor's DVD's. Kickboxing is now one of my favorite forms of exercise, and I think Billy has something to do with that. But I don't know if I'll buy another fitness gadget from him. The bands and gloves that attach to your shoes are just weird. I think I just like kickboxing and weight training separate from each other.
Old 09-16-16, 11:46 PM  
smilesolovely

I will always love Tae Bo!! Started using it in 2000 after my first kid and I still do Tae Bo today!

I'm not interested in this set. I wish he would produce 2-3 advanced kickboxing only workouts.
Old 09-17-16, 05:55 AM  
Calistro

What I do like is that he is not standing on that sweaty red carpet
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 06:23 AM  
Garrie A.

Glad to hear that he is still doing well even though I could never get into his workouts (the uneven reps, the counting, etc.).
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
billy blanks, tae bo, tae bo evolution