Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-16, 10:19 AM  
momofcha

Myfitnesspal and calories question

I hope this doesn't go against guidelines, but I have a question as it pertains to adding information into myfitnesspal. It gives me a calorie goal and then it adds my calories burned from my workout as additional calories to consume. Isn't that counterproductive if you want to lose weight?

Also, do I enter in my workout and calories burned if I also wear a fitbit? Doesn't it add those back in as a fitbit adjustment?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 10:23 AM  
DejaDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
I hope this doesn't go against guidelines, but I have a question as it pertains to adding information into myfitnesspal. It gives me a calorie goal and then it adds my calories burned from my workout as additional calories to consume. Isn't that counterproductive if you want to lose weight?
That is an excellent question! I never considered that before. Although from what it tells me I would weigh if I "ate like this everyday", I consider MyFitnessPal to be MyFitnessFoe, LOL!
Old 05-10-16, 12:17 PM  
kalliope999

I think the original calorie goal already figures in a suitable (according to MFP) deficit, assuming you set your daily activity level in MFP appropriately (i.e. you set it thinking of how much you move WITHOUT your workouts.) It adds in extra calories to eat if you've worked out (and logged your workouts separately OR your FitBit is telling MFP how much you've moved) so that your calorie deficit doesn't get overly large. (Since huge deficits can make you feel tired, sluggish, or so hungry that you do some crazy rebound eating, etc. It also stresses your body out.)

ETA: Personally, I set a custom goal in MFP when I go through phases of tracking my food. I set my goal to be a bit above my BMR so I never go below that on a regular basis (once my activity is factored in; I set my FitBit and MFP lifestyle as "sedentary" and let my FitBit figure out my daily activity). I prefer a very small deficit so that it's relatively easy.
Old 05-10-16, 12:35 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post

Also, do I enter in my workout and calories burned if I also wear a fitbit? Doesn't it add those back in as a fitbit adjustment?
I try to stay around total 1600 cals/day and don't worry about what MFP adds from Fitbit adjustment. I use MFP mostly to track what and how much I eat. Since I already get that Fitbit adjustment, I don't log my workouts.
Old 05-10-16, 12:50 PM  
Floren

I’m not certain, but I think that only the premium (paid) version of MyFitnessPal has a setting that would let you track exercises without increasing your calorie or nutrient goals.

I would probably do like Usia says above, and stay around the original daily calorie goal, even if MFP adds in additional daily calories from exercise entered.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-16, 01:12 PM  
kalliope999

If you think about it, what MFP is doing with the additional exercise calories is the same as if you used the FitBit system on its own instead of MyFitnessPal. FitBit lets you pick from four levels of deficit (aggressive, regular, easier, or maintenance) instead of a constant goal number. Then it gives you a new calorie goal each day depending on how much and how vigorously you've moved.

The only reason I use MFP is because the food database is so much more extensive than FitBit's, and you can enter recipes.

ETA: To address the OP's last two questions more directly, no you shouldn't log in your workouts or calories burned into MFP if you have your FitBit connected to your MFP account. You're right, FitBit is already sending that info and adjustment to MFP. Make sure you haven't set your MFP activity level too high, because that usually means you're estimating with your planned workouts or steps during the week in mind, but are then also allowing FitBit to track those same workouts, sort of counting them twice.

I don't have a heart rate monitor on my FitBit, so I know it doesn't track weight lifting accurately since I'm not "stepping". I don't worry about the fact that I've burned more calories during those workouts than my FitBit thinks. It just gives me a little extra leeway, which is fine because I often end up eating pretty close to my FitBit maintenance number, heh!
Old 05-10-16, 02:13 PM  
Lulu Belle

I always stay with my original calorie goal, regardless if I exercise a ton that day or not. I have used this app for a few years, and I tend to overeat (and not lose weight) when I eat my extra exercise calories. It's hard for me because I like to feel like I "earned" more food, but it's best for me to just grab an extra glass of water!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 02:38 PM  
wookiemouse

I agree on setting an average calorie goal based on your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) - there are many online calculators that will help you figure those numbers out. Then subtract a cut value (usually 15-20%) from your TDEE to lose weight. Use that number as your guide for My Fitness Pal. Some days you will burn more, some days you will burn less, but it will all even out in the end. Keeping up with MFP's constantly changing numbers when hooked up to your Fitbit will drive you batty. With a constant number, it's so much easier to plan your meals ahead.

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-16, 02:48 PM  
Gardengirl

According to MFP I should eat 1200 calories a day. That seems kind of low to me. When I exercise MFP give me more calories.
Old 05-15-16, 05:02 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
According to MFP I should eat 1200 calories a day. That seems kind of low to me. When I exercise MFP give me more calories.
Mfp is notorious for giving low daily calorie goals. You're better off using an online calculator to find your daily calorie goals & entering them manually onto mfp.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote