Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-15, 01:38 PM  
cyana

Reusable Shopping Bags

I'm considering the purchase of some reusable shopping bags and wondered if anyone had a particular style and/or brand they'd recommend.

I've been reusing Whole Foods and Trader Joe's paper shopping bags but at some point they will have to be retired since they eventually wear out. I have a Whole Foods bag made from recycled material that is OK.

I use LL Bean tote bags for shopping at my local farmer's market. They work great for that as far as comfort and capacity but they've gotten really dirty and need a serious scrubbing.

I'd prefer something that can be washed. BAGGU makes ripstop nylon bags that look like they might be worth a try.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 02:55 PM  
BunnyHop

I don't have many, but I much prefer the ones I have that are made of cotton canvas. They're washable and tough.

I've mostly picked mine up at random as the chance presents itself, so I don't have any specific source to offer.
Old 11-08-15, 08:17 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Nylon bags from Container Store

I have some nylon bags from the Container Store that I find really handy. They run about $8, but are really nice, well made, and can be washed. The bags are deceptively roomy, have handles large enough that I can carry them over my shoulder, and come in a carrying case. I throw them in my oversized purse and am good to go for whenever I make a grocery run. The brand is reisenthal. Sorry, don't know how to do links or I would try to search for you.
----
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 08:34 AM  
Lulu Belle

I have been using reusable shopping bags for about 10 years and I have all kinds of different styles. The best design I have found was from a local Ace Hardware. It's a black and white canvas bag. It's sturdy and has a shoulder strap and two smaller handles if you want don't want it up on your shoulder. I often walk to our local grocery for items, so this bag works very well carried for a long distance. It also stores a lot of items and sits upright if you drive to the market. I found this link: http://www.factoryhardwarestore.com/...p?prod=6161913 but it only is sold in packs of 6, making the total price $65.95. A little pricey, but an excellent bag if you can find it at your local Ace.
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-15, 08:42 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
I have some nylon bags from the Container Store that I find really handy. They run about $8, but are really nice, well made, and can be washed. The bags are deceptively roomy, have handles large enough that I can carry them over my shoulder, and come in a carrying case. I throw them in my oversized purse and am good to go for whenever I make a grocery run. The brand is reisenthal. Sorry, don't know how to do links or I would try to search for you.
----
YADeb
These are my favorites too; Container Store usually has them on that large wall of random stuff by the checkout desks. I keep one in my purse at all times. To wash, it's a quick rinse in the sink. After 2-3 years of hard usage, I'm just now getting a small fraying hole in one bag.

Link (more colors/patterns available): http://www.containerstore.com/catego...uctId=10034162
Old 11-09-15, 08:58 AM  
Diana3271

I bought some nice canvas bags from Trader Joes. I like that they can be washed and they were very reasonable. I don't know how durable they are since I haven't used them, yet. I am trying to use up my paper bags. As they tear I have been putting them in the recycling container.

ETA: I just realized that I have been using one of the bags to carry stuff back and forth to work. It has held up really well to being thrown around in the car and the dog jumping on it, etc. I guess it needs to be washed by now.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-15, 12:07 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I carry an Envirosax bag in my purse. I guess it's like the Omnisax on that website. It's nylon and folds, then rolls into a small roll, which keeps with a snap closure. In the pictures on the website, the models carry them around in the hands, but it fits comfortably on my shoulder.

I think I got it from Ikea years ago, but I'm not sure. For a long time, I kept forgetting its in my purse. Then one day I was at New Seasons Market and the cashier was giving me the helpful tip of a rolled up bag you can get from Ikea. And from then on, I remembered it in my purse forevermore.

Then years later, a sweet VF Secret Santa gave me another one with a really pretty color and print for the VF Gift Exchange!

ETA: You can buy this set of 5 on Amazon, which is really pretty. I have a crush on this bag which is super pretty, but it's a little spendy for me right now.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 08:17 AM  
rockette
VF Supporter

I've had my Baggu bags since 2008. They're still going strong!
Old 11-20-15, 06:34 PM  
cyana

Sorry to ask a question and go AWOL. My work schedule is quite hectic this time of year.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - you've given me some really good ideas!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-15, 04:13 PM  
videofit

Cost Plus World Market has lots of cute bags. I was looking for a medium sized bag, since I have large and small, and wound up buying this. So cute that I sometimes use it as a large casual handbag. They have at least one other pattern/color. I originally bought it for quick trips walking to the supermarket or CVS since it's sturdy, insulated lining and washable. Can be used to take your lunch to work.

Tags
reusable shopping bags