Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-15, 08:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

do i "need" an ebelskiver?

do you use yours a lot? if so, brand do you own, and what do you cook in it besides puff pancakes?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-15, 08:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I eat a couple ebelskivers once a year at a local festival. If you think you'd make them a lot, why not get an ebelskiver maker and try making them at home.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-15, 09:19 PM  
BunnyHop

Your question prompted me to Google the question, and now I have more ideas than I need on the topic.

I own a bubble waffle maker, and yes I enjoy it, but it's electric, and a definite one-use item even if I do use various muffin and cake batters in addition to the egg waffle type recipes. (Cake and muffin mixes work well, but brown very quickly, I'm assuming they're high in fat and sugar.)

Some of the ebelskiver pans seem to be the sort of thing you could put in the oven (basically a cast iron pan), so my imagination assumes you could use them to make little pies and tarts, or muffins, baking them in the standard way.

Some of my internet wanderings mention something called banh khot, savory rice cakes of some sort. (I really don't need to face this kind of temptation, so haven't found out more, LOL!)

A layer of hashbrowns filled with an eggy-frittata type filling might work, not sure they could be round, though.

I'm going to wander off now, trying to talk myself out of getting a krumkake iron. Don't need one of those either. (not that that has anything to do with my purchasing habits, LOL!)
Old 09-17-15, 12:40 PM  
Lulu Belle

Our family has had one for a long time. My kids love them, but I only make abelskiver a couple times a year. When we have them our breakfast turns into a fun party!
Lulu Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 06:08 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Of course you do! I have two, mine & my mother's. Haven't made ebelskiver since the kids left home. They used to request them for special birthday dinners. Learned to make them with my Danish grandmother. They bring back fond memories.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 01:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ok. i'm going to be on the lookout for one of these at a thrift store.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 09-23-15, 08:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
trying to talk myself out of getting a krumkake iron. Don't need one of those either. (not that that has anything to do with my purchasing habits, LOL!)
I have several pizzelle irons. why do I have 3? because when you're making a batch, it goes faster if you have that many irons going at the same time. unfortunately, it can make you go cuckoo because there's no timer on them, and you have to keep track of the # of minutes for each one.

do you need a pizzelle iron? yes, because people would be in awe of your baking skills!

Old 09-23-15, 09:18 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I have several pizzelle irons. why do I have 3? because when you're making a batch, it goes faster if you have that many irons going at the same time. unfortunately, it can make you go cuckoo because there's no timer on them, and you have to keep track of the # of minutes for each one.

do you need a pizzelle iron? yes, because people would be in awe of your baking skills!
Enabling? Here? Say it ain't so.

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself one this Christmas. I like getting myself gadgets like that every few years, they're fun to play with, and make nice memories should anyone else show up and play alongside me.

Found an ebelskiver pan yet? They sound like so much fun. If I had kids to feed and play with, I'd definitely get one.
Old 09-24-15, 03:21 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Enabling? Here? Say it ain't so.

I'm seriously thinking of getting myself one this Christmas. I like getting myself gadgets like that every few years, they're fun to play with, and make nice memories should anyone else show up and play alongside me.

Found an ebelskiver pan yet? They sound like so much fun. If I had kids to feed and play with, I'd definitely get one.
your last paragraph rhymes!

no, i haven't gotten an ebelskiver just yet, but usually, when i mentally think about it, one will appear. before i looked at the link of your Bubble Waffle Maker, i thought it was going to look like an electric mini-muffin baker.

seriously, whenever i make pizzelles, people think i'm some sort of bakestar! as if it took special skills! and they're so appreciative of them.

another really easy, crowd-pleasing pastry is the funnel cake. so easy to make with regular kitchen tools! my son was the hit of his school potluck when i made those.

another easy cookie to make are biscotti - no special tools, but people are in awe.

Old 09-24-15, 08:11 AM  
BunnyHop

Oh, I LOVE biscotti!

In recent years my holiday cookie plates have been all biscotti.

My favorite is Smitten Kitchen's gingerbread biscotti, with some ground up candied ginger tossed in for a bit of extra goodness.

Tags
off topic, off-topic