Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-15, 08:10 AM  
ellaenchanted

-interesting but not overly complex choreography

-some repetition is fine but I don't want to repeat the same circuit or choreography over and over

-that it is truly intermediate and is easily modified up or down

-I don't mind if she uses different equipment across the series but I want each individual workout to use minimal equipment
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 10:19 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post

She and many of her Cathe Live attendees use 15 pounds for overhead shoulder presses--I find that difficult and am amazed at how many reps they all do, but I think shoulders are my weakest body part. Other than my low back and creaky hips, of course
I used 15 lbs the other day when I did STS Total Body, I got through it, but just barely. My shoulders are tender so I will be reluctant to do that again, and I will never go above that weight.

I agree that intermediate means no more than 15 lb dumbells, but it also means more than 3 lb ones.
Old 06-27-15, 10:47 AM  
dela

As someone FINALLY healing from what seems to be a pretty common shoulder overuse injury, I will vote for less stress on the shoulders too.

I would love to see moves taken from traditional rehab type shoulder work used more than the traditional overhead press. It seems with this type of injury, it's just best to not do overhead work, but I do think changing the hand position to be pushing straight up (palms facing you) can make it safer in general. Also, please (and this is for all instructors) stop with the upright row. This from what I have read and heard, appears to be one of the worst moves for shoulders and really increases the chance of injury, yet instructors keep incorporating it. Why take the chance, there are other moves to use.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 11:01 AM  
Bebop

Ditto what Dela said.

For what it's worth - Just finished a pre-mix from Kick/punch/crunch that included what Cathe labeled intermediate kicking and punching drills.

In my opinion, Bodyblast was filmed as an intermediate workout.

Also, in many of her prior workout introductions she will say things like this series is for the advanced exerciser.

I'm looking forward to this set. There are days I feel like a Cathe workout because she is so motivating but the body says, "Na, not going to happen."
Cathe said that we should vary our intensity levels so as not to have over use injuries.

Who felt Xtrain was an intermediate set? That poster must be in super shape.

Which Kickbox workout uses the pink gloves? I'm too lazy to go back downstairs and look. That intensity is a bit intermediate in my opinion.

Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 11:04 AM  
suzannaerin

No step or just step with drills, no spins or torquing moves.

Boxing workout like the Live version of Hard Strikes Low Impact.

Cedie and Lorraine

No manic pace, in either cardio or strength

No pizza presses in the floor work

Some lower back work and not strictly deadlifts

No tubing. After Harry Reid almost lost his eye due to a tubing injury, I've been steering clear of it

Form pointers
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 11:33 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
Also, please (and this is for all instructors) stop with the upright row. This from what I have read and heard, appears to be one of the worst moves for shoulders and really increases the chance of injury, yet instructors keep incorporating it. Why take the chance, there are other moves to use.
THIS!!!!!!!! I always modify those when they are in any workouts now, but it would be nice if she just would sub in another move.

I agree with so many comments already mentioned. I am just hoping for a set that will have no dread factor set in. Unfortunately, RwH and Xtrain both have the "d" factor for me. I can only sprinkle them in my rotations now and then....no more rotations with just the workouts from either set.

I also hope that this group of workouts is very similar to Cathe Live workouts, as they just seem so fun for me! I'm thinking of starting that up again next month as I desperately missed the fun factor from my last two month's rotations!!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 11:47 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
No tubing. After Harry Reid almost lost his eye due to a tubing injury, I've been steering clear of it
I so agree with this. I've had bands snap in my face and it's no fun. I think, from now on, I'm going to wear a cheap pair of sunglasses (since I don't own safety glasses) if I use tubing or bands. Better to be on the safe side.

There was another case of a woman who lost sight in one her eyes from tubing. It was mentioned on VF a few years back. (Sorry for the thread highjack, but this is important.)
Old 06-27-15, 12:24 PM  
Pam

When Cathe says this is going to be Intermediate Set, I am taking that to mean that it is going to easier than anything she has put out recently, so I will not be ordering (the first time not preordering her workouts in a long time).

I know that I can make a workout harder by using heavier weights or wrist or ankle weights, but I have plenty of those kind of workouts already (many are virgins), so no need to spend my exercise $ on more. Cathe's workouts are my to go to work out hard, even if I have to modify.

So, to answer the OP question for this thread, what I would like from a future Cathe workout, is a hard, fun workout, with modifications if is high impact.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-15, 12:41 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I would love to see moves taken from traditional rehab type shoulder work used more than the traditional overhead press. It seems with this type of injury, it's just best to not do overhead work, but I do think changing the hand position to be pushing straight up (palms facing you) can make it safer in general. Also, please (and this is for all instructors) stop with the upright row. This from what I have read and heard, appears to be one of the worst moves for shoulders and really increases the chance of injury, yet instructors keep incorporating it. Why take the chance, there are other moves to use.
Agree on modifying hand position for overheads - I do palms facing ears. I've also read that if you want to keep upright rows in your program, the important thing is to go hands wide, not narrow as most instructors insist on. My shoulders like wide grip and lifting only to bottom-of-bra band, on the odd occasions I do rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Some brilliant VFer clued me into these bands (Amazon might have better prices). They are tubing covered with scrunchies, basically. I use bands with the door sling for pullups and chinups, and feel much safer with the Fit Cords.
Old 06-27-15, 04:24 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
I think she actually says it a lot more during strength workouts than during cardio, doesn't she?
Yes she does! I have actually never heard her saying that during the cardio but only strength.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe ice, ice series