Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-15, 03:39 PM  
wendy2

Cathe's ICE Series--What are you hoping for?

I'm excited that Cathe will be doing an intermediate series, but I'm also worried that she's so used to making advanced workouts that she'll go overboard in how she presents to an intermediate audience. I'm hopeful that she realizes that she can really just do everything as she usually does (in terms of how she speaks to the audience). Here's what I hope for:

Rock'm Sock'm Kickbox: All she has to do to make her current KB workouts intermediate is take out the high impact drills. I hope she'll keep the complexity of any combos she includes in this one.

Boot Camp Circuit Again, it's really the high impact and bpm that make her circuit workouts advanced. My hope for this one is that the cardio uses a step (I find her floor cardio pretty jarring, and when modified to low impact it's a bit boring), and that the weights are still heavy enough to make an intermediate lifter challenged. i.e. no 3 pound weights!

Low Impact Sweat I hope these are low impact but with some interesting choreography rather than just athletic drills. Low impact does not always mean joint friendly with Cathe (lots of lunges within the cardio, for example), so I hope with these the low impact is fun!

Metabolic Total Body I really like Supercuts and her Cathe Live metabolic workouts. I don't really think they need to be modified much to be considered intermediate. Take out the endless situp/pushup combo and any mountain climbers, and these aren't killer workouts.

To The Mat: Legs & Glutes OMG, I am so excited for this one. I love Cathe's floor and barre work. My legs have more definition from having inserted a Cathe floor or barre workout each week, so I'm so hopeful about this DVD. I hope she doesn't add long breaks between exercises or cut down much on what she already offers...

Chiseled Upper Body I've always thought that with weight work you can make any advanced workout intermediate simply by lowering the weight you use. Again, I hope for no 3lb weights, unless they are for shoulders or triceps--Cathe used 3lbs in one of her beginner workouts for back rows I think.

Chiseled Lower Body Blast I hope the blasts are step blasts vs. floor. I'm thinking of the Low Impact Series, and I was just bored with the low impact moves in many of those workouts. On the other hand, I don't like millions of power 7s or 15s, so that's not what I mean by step blasts. Just something more interesting and non-repetitive

Basically, I just hope that Cathe treats these like her regular workouts, but lowers the bpm (which I think are usually too fast on her step and cardio workouts anyway) and keeps the weight work challenging. Her Cathe Live workouts often feel more doable to me than her DVDs, so maybe they are already intermediate... Maybe I have nothing to worry about. I'm just afraid that Cathe might lower the intensity too much, and that she might think she needs to talk to the audience in a different way than is her usual onscreen personality/presence.

Anyone else have specific hopes for this upcoming series? Don't I sound picky and needy?
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-15, 04:16 PM  
bearcatfan

Great list!

I don't necessarily think Cathe needed to come out with this (I'm used to modifying on my own) but the weight workouts could be really good in general not just for "intermediates". Maybe I should just look at getting those when they come out, but then again if I buy them at retail (assuming $20-22 each) I might as well preorder. Arg, the decisions.
Old 06-13-15, 04:27 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I just want her to cue better (before the move, not on it), and be on the beat. I am starting to really, really, really dislike all this "ignore the beat" nonsense. Why have music if you can't be bothered to set your routines to it? I understand (and lament) that interesting floor and step choreography has given way to drills, but I don't accept that drills can't be set to music.
Old 06-13-15, 05:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

In the intermediate level High Step Challenge she sometimes used a sing song voice, and I felt she was sort of talking down to her intermediate audience. I hope she doesn't do that in these. She used only used 3 lb weights, but she also used tubing.

Sometimes with weight workouts, it's hard to go heavier and still keep to the instructor's pace. I wonder what she considers an intermediate level when it comes to weights. I certainly will be interested in what weight she uses, and how many reps she does.

I sometimes enjoy Jari Love style lighter weight workouts, but she makes up for that with lots of reps. Don't know if Cathe will do the same.
Old 06-13-15, 06:07 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
I am starting to really, really, really dislike all this "ignore the beat" nonsense. Why have music if you can't be bothered to set your routines to it? I understand (and lament) that interesting floor and step choreography has given way to drills, but I don't accept that drills can't be set to music.
I am so with you on this!!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-15, 06:47 PM  
wendy2

Quote:
I just want her to cue better (before the move, not on it), and be on the beat. I am starting to really, really, really dislike all this "ignore the beat" nonsense. Why have music if you can't be bothered to set your routines to it? I understand (and lament) that interesting floor and step choreography has given way to drills, but I don't accept that drills can't be set to music.
From what I remember, when it comes to Cathe going off the beat with choreography, it's a case of trying to make the workout more intense by going at breakneck speed. I'm thinking, and hoping, that since she's going for less intense, she'll lower the frantic pace and stick to the beat.

The only cardio workout I can think of in which she goes off beat is the floor based hiit one in RWH. Are there others?
Old 06-13-15, 07:50 PM  
smilingwolf

Quote:
I just want her to cue better (before the move, not on it), and be on the beat. I am starting to really, really, really dislike all this "ignore the beat" nonsense. .
Thank you for saying this. I knew I couldn't be the only one who was annoyed by the constant mantra of "Ignore the beat." If she has to say anything, how about "Off tempo" or "On tempo." It sounds much nicer. I love her workouts so much, that I trained myself to ignore the phrase "Ignore the beat." Even during some strength training segments she says this. How many people out there are lifting heavy weights in time to a beat? Just thinking about this makes me question if I should preorder her newest DVDs. Who am I kidding? I know I will.
smilingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-15, 06:05 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingwolf View Post
Thank you for saying this. I knew I couldn't be the only one who was annoyed by the constant mantra of "Ignore the beat." If she has to say anything, how about "Off tempo" or "On tempo." It sounds much nicer. I love her workouts so much, that I trained myself to ignore the phrase "Ignore the beat." Even during some strength training segments she says this. How many people out there are lifting heavy weights in time to a beat? Just thinking about this makes me question if I should preorder her newest DVDs. Who am I kidding? I know I will.
Bold is mine... I think she actually says it a lot more during strength workouts than during cardio, doesn't she? I think in those cases it's necessary because in most of her videos she's not training that heavy and she has choreographed the weight work to follow the beat. People who are used to working out with her are used to working on the beat. It's really just in her heavier stuff that she's saying to ignore the beat, right? (And during rear flies lately she seems to want to go faster than the beat for some reason).

Its so funny to see that several people are bothered by this. It doesn't bug me at all during strength workouts. During cardio workouts maybe I wouldn't mind if she were going slower than the beat, but the crazy fast stuff is just...crazy!
Old 06-14-15, 06:16 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
In the intermediate level High Step Challenge she sometimes used a sing song voice, and I felt she was sort of talking down to her intermediate audience. I hope she doesn't do that in these. She used only used 3 lb weights, but she also used tubing.

Sometimes with weight workouts, it's hard to go heavier and still keep to the instructor's pace. I wonder what she considers an intermediate level when it comes to weights. I certainly will be interested in what weight she uses, and how many reps she does.

I sometimes enjoy Jari Love style lighter weight workouts, but she makes up for that with lots of reps. Don't know if Cathe will do the same.
That High Step Challenge way of talking down is exactly what I'm thinking of. I hope she realizes that most people buying these workouts are either intermediate with plenty of experience, or advanced/old timers () who just want a break from her high impact/super intense stuff. She can just say the same old stuff she usually does--though excellent form pointers are never a bad thing, so she could go ahead and throw those in...

I'm hoping Cathe thinks of 5, 8, 10, 12 and 15 pound weights as intermediate. Probably nothing higher than 15? She and many of her Cathe Live attendees use 15 pounds for overhead shoulder presses--I find that difficult and am amazed at how many reps they all do, but I think shoulders are my weakest body part. Other than my low back and creaky hips, of course

I'll have to do them in their entirety to recall correctly, but I think Lean Legs and Abs is pretty much an intermediate workout, as are SuperSets and Push/Pull from the Body Blast series. There are probably more...

I'm on such a Cathe kick lately. Just absolutely loving Cathe Live and the Workout Blender. I thought I wouldn't even care about a new series, but I'm pretty excited about this one. (Other than the super cheesy name!)
Old 06-14-15, 06:27 AM  
Tugger31

This is the first series I'm not going to pre-order, but will wait for reviews and pick and choose!

I'm most excited about for the floor work dvd!

I agree also that sometimes low impact is not joint friendly. I was excited when Low Max came out only to find that it bothered my knee with all the lunge/squat moves off the step.

I'm hoping for just in general some different choreography. I'm also hoping for less going down to the floor for pushup combos during a workout.

I also hope she doesn't "talk down" to an "intermediate" audience. I never even thought about this before, but can definitely see this as a possibility.

I've never really noticed the off-the-beat aspect though even when she says "ignore the beat", I'm always like um, okay! I'm usually modifying and not keeping up anyways and the music is usually quiet and fairly non-descript anyways that I've never really even noticed the beat.

So, that being said, I'd love some great music for once! Something similar to what Michelle Dozois uses or even Tracy Anderson in some of her workouts.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe ice, ice series