Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-15, 09:24 AM  
LoveVA

How Do You Keep Your House Clean?

This is off-topic, but kind of on-topic since housecleaning does burn some calories.

Anyway, I am in desperate need of a housecleaner but I'm too paranoid about having a stranger in my house when I'm not there. So this year, I want to make a concerted effort to try to keep up with housecleaning. With our busy schedules and two kids under 4, my husband and I just can not get all the cleaning done in a timely manner. Our kitchen stays clean, but then the vacuuming doesn't get done. Bathrooms get done, but just not frequently enough. I always make sure the kids' clothes are washed, folded, put away, but my and my husband's laundry just builds up. I feel like it's doable, I just need some guidance.

So for those of you with kids and/or really busy schedules, how do you keep your house clean? Do you set aside one day and do it all or do you do a little bit at a time? Do you set up your own cleaning rota? I need help!
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 09:30 AM  
isebelleg44

I would love to get advice regarding this too! Thanks for starting this thread! I keep up with laundry and there are never dirty dishes in the sink. Counters are always wiped, but everything else seems to fall by the wayside.

I don't remember the last time this house got a proper cleaning. I work all week, that come Saturday the last thing I want to do is clean the house. I like a clean house, but don't like to clean!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 09:45 AM  
dianestjohn

I would like to encourage you to reconsider having a cleaning service come in. Many are licensed, bonded, insured. For many years I have used a person who was recommended by a friend; she has a key to my house, comes in while we are at work and when we come home the house is sparkling clean. Not expensive and the only things that have ever "gone missing" are a couple pieces of candy from a huge box of chocolate one Christmas many years ago. You could check out Yelp and read reviews of different cleaning services to see who people like and trust. Sorry, I know this is not exactly what you are asking but it is a great feeling to not have to worry about it yourself and I do think there are honest reliable cleaning services that would make you feel totally comfortable.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 09:48 AM  
Sara1000

One thing I've found useful is 'the power of five.' Many household jobs can be done in about 5 minutes, so when you are waiting for something and have 5 minutes to kill, get some job, or part of some job, out of the way. Dust something, wipe all the light switches with clorox wipes, etc.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 09:49 AM  
geojill

Check out Flylady.net. She breaks the house up into zones and you spen 15 min a day in that zone. I really like her approach to things and apply what I can to my household. I am out of the house for about 10 hours a day for work and travel to/from. My daughter and I have some evening activities and my husband tends to work late. If I follow Flylady's plan, even a bit loosely, it means I'm not spending my weekend doing chores and my house is minutes away from being company ready.
Old 01-04-15, 09:57 AM  
bubbles76

First, define what you mean by "housecleaning." I'm being totally serious, because my idea of housecleaning is not everyone's idea of housecleaning. Here is what I do between Friday and Sunday:
  • Vacuum
  • Sweep
  • Mop
  • Laundry - wash, dry, iron, and put away laundry
  • Clean bathrooms - sinks, tubs, showers, counters, toilets
  • Kitchens

Daily, I wash, dry, and put away dishes.

Here is what does NOT get done weekly, but possibly monthly
  • Clean inside oven
  • Clean fridge
  • Dusting

I have a 3000 square foot house. I do it alone The thing is, I refuse to make housekeeping my life. I tell myself, okay, I have two dedicated hours a day from Friday to Sunday to get all this stuff done. If it doesn't get done, then I don't stress it. A lady I took a class with said it best: "You can't try to clean up in the middle of a hurricane." I live with two sloppy guys (bless their heart), but I'm not a maid. It used to KILL me to see stuff out of place, stuff just piling up, a neverending mass of papers, clothes on the floor, but I have had to chill out a LOT. I cannot change them, so I do what I can to make it clean.

And then I invite people over when the place is a real mess. Big Bubble gets so embarrassed that he makes sure that the place gets picked up. As I tell him, I don't mind cleaning up, just don't make SUCH a mess of things.

All this to say, I think you have to first choose which day (or days) you are going to clean. Then choose which chore (or chores) you are going to do. Then set a time limit, not to exceed it. The thing is, if you exceed it, you will feel like you are constantly cleaning and not enjoying your weekend. The biggest or most time consuming chores I do monthly, the other stuff I save for daily or weekly.

I tried that "do 30 minutes of chores a day" or "zone" cleaning, and at this time in my life, it just doesn't work for me. Daily, I cook, get Tiny Bubble ready for bed, and get myself together for work and working out the next morning. So if I have 30 minutes out of my day, I choose to play with Tiny Bubble or possibly check VF

Hope this helps!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 11:04 AM  
desie

I also live with messy loved ones. I keep the house clean and organized only to the standard that they set. They are happy, and I am not resentful from an uneven allocation of chores. Having company over once a week really helps to keep the chaos in check, since we all want the house to look nice for guests.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 11:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I second flylady. She's pretty quirky, and if you sign up for emails, she will takeover your email box, but the principles are sound. I subscribed for a while years ago, kind of learned the ropes, then unsubscribed. She's a big fan of doing things in little chunks, using a timer and taking it one little bit at a time.

That worked really well for me until I had my second child, who has some disabilities and I became totally overwhelmed. I finally gave in and hired cleaners--a group my neighbors have used for 20 years! They were so nice and did a fine job, but honestly, I prefer to clean myself. It was so stressful to tidy up for them. Not that they told me I needed to, but let's face it, they can do a better job if the toys are put away, etc. And it just seemed more respectful to them.

So now I'm back to doing little bits at a time. If I have a couple of hours I'll do it all at once, but once your systems are in place, it stays reasonably clean and tidy just doing little bits.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 11:30 AM  
Demeris

I love flylady, but, as Nuggie's Aunt warns, don't sign up for emails or you'll be getting them every fifteen minutes.

I like to check out her sneak peek of the week, and it gives me a pretty good idea of how to tackle the week.

I also printed out her cleaning tips and keep them in a folder on my counter. I check them regularly.

Someone above mentioned the 'rule of 5.' I like the rule of 17. I set a time for 17 mins and move like a woman on fire. What I can do in 17 mins continually astounds me.

I'm retired, now, so the house doesn't get as messy as it did when I worked, but I used flylady and 17 mins before retirement, and that kept my house presentable.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-15, 11:31 AM  
Yelly

I don't, ha ha!

(but I do recommend FlyLady)
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
housecleaning, household chores