Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-11, 10:13 PM  
KBear

Cathe's Step Help!

Hi! I have been lurking for a while, and I know how knowable you are. I need your help!

O.K. I am a total klutz. But I do not like elliptical or walking exercise. I do like step aerobics.

I have mastered Cathe's "Basic Step" and "Low Impact Step." I really like them.

I have recently acquired several Cathe's workouts that include step aerobics. I am trying to figure out which one to do next. Could you tell how complex they are? Which order should I try next? Any other her step workout that may help me learn her choreography?

Anyway, I have:
Body Max
Body Max 2
Rhythmic step
Interval Max
Maximum Intensity Cardio
Intensity
HIIT

Before I bought and tried her "Basic Step" and "Low Impact Step," I tried Interval Max, since her site states "no tricky choreography." I remember not being able to follow the warm-up. I realized it is not hard if you have done her other step workout. I just did the Drill Max yesterday, and I was able to follow the step portion without any problem, but I feel that is only because I mastered her two introductory step routines.

Please Help.
Thank you

K(lutzy) Bear
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:07 PM  
Elise7

I would wait on Rhythmic Step. It is fast and complex (I have previewed it but haven't tried it.)

Maximum Intensity Cardio and Interval Max are doable after a couple of tries.

Body Max 2 is more complex than MIC and IMax but still doable. I don't have any of the others.

I would recommend starting with a step height lower than Cathe's when you're learning the workouts.

Good luck - and enjoy!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:09 PM  
Elise7

P.S. I just did Imax 1 today and really enjoyed it. I was overwhelmed at first but it is easy to get the hang of and well worth the effort.

Great workout!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 07:45 AM  
bearcatfan

This is the order I would do these in, along with some comments.

Interval Max and MIC - kind of a tossup, really.
Body Max 1 - this is fast, but fairly straightforward
Rhythmic Step
Body Max 2 - I feel it's more complex than RS plus faster
Intensity - This is kind of a Cathe's best step workout, where the breakdown might not be what you need.

HIIT - I don't have this one.

The chaptering is very good, so you could just go back and work on chapters that are harder. You still get a great workout, even if you work on a chapter several times.
Old 02-01-11, 08:02 AM  
andtckrtoo

I think one of the keys to doing any step workout is to remember all sections are to a 32 count - 4 eight counts. So, if you literally think 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 - while doing the steps, it helps. Even if you don't know exactly what you should be doing, you know exactly when it should end.

I think Body Max2 is a little easier that Rhythmic Step - but that's my opinion. I agree to start with IMax. It's more straight forward.
Old 02-01-11, 08:42 AM  
jacmar

I do Cathe for my cardio the majority of the time. Of the workouts you listed, here is the order of complexity in my opinion - I am also a total klutz

HIIT-very little step work-easy to follow
Intensity - there is impact, but its not tricky
IMAX
MIC
BM2
BM
RS - I have been doing Cathe for years and have yet to pick this up 100%

There are a few of Cathe's step workouts you have don't have (sorry to enable) that are fairly easy to pick up:

The Classics-Step heat, Step Jam, etc
Low Max
Low Impact Circuit step premix (one of my favorites)

HTH!!!
jacmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 09:19 AM  
bearcatfan

And if you really want to go retro, find a copy of How To Get In Shape For Your Wedding (vhs only). It was the first one I started with. Before she did the "beginner" step dvds, this was the standby introduction to Cathe.
Old 02-01-11, 06:58 PM  
KBear

Thank you so much. I tried I-Max today. I stumbled some --- I think Interval 1, 5 and 7 or 8 gave me hard time (where I have to face BACK), but managed to do most. I will try it again this week.

Cathe says in the beginning of the first interval, something like it is going to be very simple! Obviously not for me.

Thanks again.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cath step, cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe's step videos, slower step workouts, step, step aerobics