Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-10, 09:53 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Looking for basic Step? Wanting to start Step? or

just want a 30-minute Step routine? I can't recommend Gin Miller's Step Reaction enough.
This is the same workout at four different speeds, 110 for Novice, 116 for Beginner, 122 for Intermediate and 128 for Advanced.

It is a basic, non-dancy choreo step workout, about 30 minutes long. It is Gin Miller as we love Gin Miller, fun, irreverent, helpful and effective.

For newbies, it is a nonthreatening, basic workout that doesn't intimidate. And unlike someone else's basic/starter Step vid, if you can do this Gin Miller, you can do any of them.

The step is basic, up down, a little mambo here and there, some traveling steps, some T steps. The music is inoffensive and Gin is on beat (to the best of my knowledge and belief). I can't "do" some of the Step stars because I don't have that choreo gene that allows me not to fall, stumble and take out innocent bystanders as I prance and boogie on the box.
I also get dizzy with twirls and can't figure out how to do an around the world no matter how many times I try.

For the more experienced stepper, you can up the intensity on any of the four levels with height steps, weights, whatever you have been doing with other Gins. Gin gives a box to the top left every now and then with some switches in the routine while she is demonstrating a new move. Well done again. She will also do the same basic step and stack on different arm movements, changing it up for the been-there-done-that set, but for the newbies, it gives ideas on how to add movement to other Step workouts.

The set is basic: Gin with a head mic, a step and a blue background. Gin is wearing a pink top and black pants. She stands out great from the background and you can see what she is doing.

She explains what you are going for, why and how at the beginning of the moves, unlike some instructors who do the move 43 times and then during the cool down go, oh, yeah, don't do this move this horrible way or you will need a knee replacement in three weeks.

Right now it is just $2.99 at Gin's site (of course, postage for one or two DVDs is $3.99 so pick up another sale DVD and it is basically free, right).

Bottom line, it is fun for those who want to Step but don't want to boogie the night away; it is athletic, but you aren't going to blow a joint; and it is Gin Miller at her "funnest" and I can't think of a better way to spend 30 minutes or so. Great for a warmup or cool down, which is how I think I will use it most.

(And yes, I will add this to the review section because that is just how I roll)

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 11:36 AM  
Diana3271

I agree with everything said. This was recently "gifted" to me by a very kind VF'er. I totally enjoyed it.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:06 PM  
Runninggirl

I used to take her step class at her studio in Atlanta in the very late 80's. That was back when you had to choose your step height prior to class because they were all wooden boxes! And that was the ONLY time I have ever liked step because I too am directionally challenged. Anytime anything happens in front of the step, it brings my workout to a halt until we return to behind the step. Might be worth revisiting for the winter when it is hard to make myself get outdoors to run. My running group strongarmed me outdoors last night and it is only December!
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:26 PM  
Just_Jo

Oh, good to hear! I ordered this and Simply Interval from her sale. I really like Gin--she's very encouraging.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:28 PM  
KathAL79

Renda, please consider adding your post to the VF Review section, too! This is such a helpful review.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:40 PM  
bfit

Where is this available? I'd love to have it.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:56 PM  
JessieMarie

Thanks so much for posting this. I was able to get it for $2.99 with free shipping. It's a gift for my mother who has been complaining for years about the lack of basic step aerobics with only one person on it. I love the idea of various levels depending on how she feels for the day.
JessieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 01:03 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Gin's workouts (not all, necessarily) are available from her store, http://www.ginmillerdvds.com/.

I ordered mine Sunday night and had it Wednesday. But I just live on the other side of Atlanta from them.

Kath, I have requested that the workout be added to the review section so I could add it in.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 12-02-10, 01:06 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninggirl View Post
I used to take her step class at her studio in Atlanta in the very late 80's. That was back when you had to choose your step height prior to class because they were all wooden boxes! And that was the ONLY time I have ever liked step because I too am directionally challenged. Anytime anything happens in front of the step, it brings my workout to a halt until we return to behind the step. Might be worth revisiting for the winter when it is hard to make myself get outdoors to run. My running group strongarmed me outdoors last night and it is only December!
Yesterday was pretty brutal in the ATL. No build up at all.

I envy you taking her in person. I wish I lived in the Canton area so I could just stalk her (kidding, I wouldn't actually stalk her, but I might hang out at her grocery store).
I can't have my back to the TV and execute a move. To me that is multitasking at its most dangerous.

Words matter.

Tags
30 minute workouts, basic step workouts, beginner step, gin miller, novice, slower step workouts, step, step aerobics