Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-01-22, 08:09 PM  
Helen

Every Day in JULY - Yup, we've REALLY hit half-way!

We're half-way through - finish STRONG!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU (but don't kid yourself about it either)

No matter how you've gone for the first half of the year - make yourself proud of how you finish!

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:
EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 08:37 PM  
Helen

Friday the 1st

Not the best kick-off for the month, but it was the last day of school, and I finished June well so I TOOK it.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 07-01-22, 08:43 PM  
Vantreesta

Great intro, Helen, and woohoo on last day of school!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:18 AM  
Helen

Thanks Vannie - the intro is a copyof the one I made last year. Have been doing that lately to save time - usually agonise over the images. Decided not to any more - no point reinventing the wheel.

Saturday
90min, long walk with Alice as spotted a sizeable gap in the rain-radar.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 07-02-22, 08:20 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need my arrow ....

Finished off June, now I need my arrow for the July check in. Oh - and check in also!

Helen: As is normal, thank you for starting us off. Definitely no need to reinvent the wheel, since your round one from previous times works perfectly well. To be honest? I would never notice (except that you mention it.) I do feel the Essay comment may have been directed at (ahem) ... ME?!? hahahaha I'm teasing. And we all know I'm a talker. I am glad you had a break in the rain. It sounds so dreary. And my face? Still a rash. But not as raised. The dermatologist told me it would take a long time. It's been a month. I go back on Wed. I am done with the oral medication, but still have half a tube of cream left. I'll see what she says. It looks better. But it's still there. Thank you so much for asking.

Vannie: I am happy to see you pop in every now and then. Why don't you join us? I was just thinking of the endurance check in. I haven't been over there in awhile (or maybe there's been no new posts to it? Hence the reason I haven't been in it to follow up on people! I think there's a big crossover between your group and this one!) We love getting in new posters/perspectives/workouts, etc. . . .

Lili: Wavin' atcha! Did you go for ride #2 and do some more Peloton stuff?? I did notice that Tunde's arm program is now available to us mere peloton users (didn't buy their gadget --- forget what it's called). It looks pretty doable and I might try it (for the badge of course). It's only 3 days a week and runs 4 weeks. Her arm workouts use light weights and a lot of reps and can be quite challenging. I'm sure it will help my pickleball game. Wanna join me?

Ok... the favorite subject: ME ME ME ME ....

I am on a much needed longggg holiday weekend from work. It has me practicing for retirement (and I love it). Doing what I want, when I want, etc. I could (truly) get used to this. (In due time! In due time.)

7/1/2022: 45 mins. Power Zone ride
with Matt Wilpers (for the challenge. Zones 3, 4 & sweet spot)** , 5 mins. cool down ride with Ben Alldis, 5 mins. Post Ride Stretch, 2 hours of pickleball

** This was a tough ride. Zone 4 is NOT my favorite and sweet spot is not really a zone but kinda between zones 3 and 4. Murky at best. I got smart this time though and did the workout BEFORE playing pickleball. It's really hard after pickleball to do the more challenging rides.

I am getting my act together for the last half of 2022 and getting back on the diet wagon. (I'm a few days into it). I have to get rid of Helen's 20 lb. weighted vest (that I reacquired over the last 2 years) and an additional 30 lb. one I never got rid of in the first place. It's time. So I'm focusing on that. There! I've said it out loud. Now I'll have to stick to it.

I'm hoping that weight work ( Both upper body and losing some ) will help with the pickleball game. I am so happy I fell into the local group of ladies and got on the phone chain for pickleball. They play (a LOT). I do work, so I am limited, but able to join them usually at least once a week, sometimes more. It makes me a better player to keep playing and practicing. The local courts are only about 4 miles from me. (It's also the group I play with inside in the winter - but that's an athletic club about a 25 mins. drive for me. AND I have to pay to play there).

Yesterday was tough though - due to heat. We got there early (8:30 a.m.) but we wrapped it up by 10:30 because it was so hot. (that's why I got them together on Tues. evening after work - as the humidity was low.

I still belong to the group that gathers about 20 miles away. And they have a really busy schedule with the opportunity to play 2-3x a day. (all different levels) So I have options. And options are always good. I still want to get a ball machine though, so I can practice more.

Ok, I've babbled long enough. Off to my Facebook groups to babble there some more.

Here's to July!!!

:: Raises Imaginary Champagne Glass ::
CHEERS.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:25 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Vannie - I agree, come join us! Pop in when you can. I'm always looking for new ideas/inspiration.
Helen - Once again, thanks for the July intro! I never would have noticed that you copied it from last year. I'm just grateful that you start us off each month!
Cleda - I'll check out the Peloton Challenges for the month and maybe I'll join you. Although, we do go on vacation this month, so I'll have to see how that will work. No, I didn't do a second ride, but I will. I should really get on my road bike because our vacation includes bike riding in the Grand Tetons!

7/1 - dog walk
20 Min. Walk & Run with Andy Speer
One of the stretch workouts from Jessica's new Stretch and Relax DVD.

Just checked Peloton and I didn't see Tunde's challenge. It might only be for those with Peloton bikes?

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-22, 12:41 PM  
Vantreesta

Helen, definitely no need to reinvent! Goodness knows we make life harder on ourselves in other ways! I was doing decent with workouts and then vacations and that kind of thing have kind of derailed me. This month is still crazy so I'll do my best and plan to settle back in in August. Last year I really fell off after Labor Day and do not want to repeat that this year!

Cleda, I just looked at the most recent Endurance thread. I knew I have been talking to myself but I didn't realize the last post that isn't mine was Alison on 4/7! Not sure where they all are, I assume busy with life. You certainly do get your money's worth out of expensive equipment! Awesome job! I have a friend who was playing pickleball but I don't know that she does anymore. I don't even know what it is. I kind of would like to take up tennis but have no one to play with.

Lili, so much of what I do anymore seems to be PT and p/rehab type stuff. Not sure how much inspiration I would be! Biking in the Grand Tetons sounds like a very active vacation! Nice!

Well, as I mentioned to Cleda, the Endurance check in seems to have died, at least for now, but I just joined another check in and already am not great at keeping up. I have 4 not counting the dying Endurance plus VF Roost and TF on Tapatalk, neither of which is very active. So we'll see how it goes with popping in here. Thanks for the welcome and invite!

As long as I'm here, I'm bummed with myself for losing Helen's Monthivation and not working out yesterday on the 1st. I ran errands in the AM and cleaned bathrooms in the PM. I fully intended to do my PT last night but well, I fell into the internet rabbit hole again. Sigh.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-03-22, 03:23 PM  
Vantreesta

After blowing off the first two days of the month I kicked my own butt into gear and actually worked out on a Sunday! Another long string of short ones (pre and post run stuff take just as long whether I run one mile or four!): PT exercises, glutes with Caroline Jordan, feet with Jill Miller, lower legs with Caroline, 1.09 mi run, piriformis and hips with Helen Clare and my usual Yoga for Runners post-run practice with Matt Giordano. I need to do tendonitis exercises and PT stretches later.

Old 07-03-22, 06:49 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

That's the way to do it ....

Vantreesta: Welcome and that's DEFINITELY the way to do it. Just string shorter ones along and voila! You have a full fledged workout and if not? You got moving!!! You go girl.

Waves to all ....

7/2/2022: Power zone 45 mins. ride with Matt Wilpers (I'm in the tough 2 weeks of the challenge) this did not disappoint! With mostly zones 6 and 4 ... YIKES ... but it's done. Followed by Bradley Rose's 20 mins. England day ride. (or whatever it's called) and then a 5 mins. prs

7/3/2022: Today? NOTHING ..... not sure why. but that's it ... I won't be lazy tomorrow. Start the day off with pickleball early (8:30 a.m.!) so at least I'll get that in.

Then several episodes of Call the Midwife. I had to replenish my tissue box!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-22, 07:03 PM  
Helen

Business and hit reply, before getting sidetracked .... again....

Saturday, the 2nd
58min, Cathe - Interval Max
The disc had been left out, not on any schedule, didn't really feel like working super hard, so... did it all low-impact - totally modified it down to an hour of steady-state.

Sunday, the 3rd
30min, YouTube - Classic 2 Mile Workout by Walk at Home - DLCC3 - Steel City Series, with Kathryn (and Alice w/rope)
Buddy recovering from C-19. Asked if she wanted to do something - not pushing, just offering. She was keen. Not well enough for a full-on workout, but enough for a Leslie-style walk.

VANNIE
Welcome!!! No pressure at all here. I know you're in quite a few other checkins - copy/paste to save time & leave personals until you DO have time.
I didn't have Monthivation myself (being Friday & the last day of school), but it's now Monday, so that's.... Mondivation!

CLEDA
8:30 is way too early for me to be moving with anything like enthusiasm - yoga at the most! I'm sure you'll have fun though.
The 'essay' is specifically for you - but yeah, you write a lot, but I LOVE that you do!! and I read every word of it too.
If I don't rid myself of the 20lb weighted vest, it'll very slowly become at 30lb-er! Have hung up a summery dress in full view that I couldn't wear now - constant reminder of that Nov. wedding.

LILI
Oh there you go - teasing me with Jessica's new set. No, no no no,..... I do NOT need it, it's too expensive (with the postage).....

Cheers indeed for the 2nd bit of 2022

Happy 4th of July, may those around any dogs, be QUIET.

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.