Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-21, 08:52 PM  
Karla25

Exercise Tips

I just stumbled across this awesome video by Kathryn Budig on how to do a chaturanga with proper form. I've always sorta dropped/plopped at the bottom.

I discovered I dropped because I was lowering myself improperly. I wasn't looking and moving forward when I lowered myself.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/sfnrqFYfLSw

Do you have any videos, tips, or articles that have provided insight to you on proper form? If so, please share them :-) I still haven't mastered a roll-up or over.
Old 07-02-21, 10:22 PM  
SEV

Thanks for posting the link! Ill have to go through my saved tip videos and see if I can add to the list.
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-21, 10:43 PM  
Kitten

Justina Ercole has a few. Here's one on deadlifts:

https://youtu.be/DDq45kJ7SEM
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:42 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Justina Ercole has a few. Here's one on deadlifts:

https://youtu.be/DDq45kJ7SEM
Thanks! I'm going to check these out.
Old 07-04-21, 11:36 AM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
I just stumbled across this awesome video by Kathryn Budig on how to do a chaturanga with proper form. I've always sorta dropped/plopped at the bottom.

I discovered I dropped because I was lowering myself improperly. I wasn't looking and moving forward when I lowered myself.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/sfnrqFYfLSw

Do you have any videos, tips, or articles that have provided insight to you on proper form? If so, please share them :-) I still haven't mastered a roll-up or over.
That was great! I never knew you were supposed to be moving forward! Now I'm going to be watching to make sure everybody else does it right.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 04:45 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Found this old thread when looking for exercise tips/hacks. For roll-ups, have you tried holding light dumbbells? The weights held out in front of you may help make it past the hump.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 05:04 PM  
sillygirl

Here are a couple exercise hacks I use all the time!
  • Forearm Side Plank: Start with good form in a regular forearm plank (elbows under shoulders), then swivel one of your forearms to 90 degrees and turn your body toward that side for the side plank (Thank you, Suzanne Bowen!)
  • Push-Ups: Use a fabric loop band set above your elbows. The resistance helps with pushing your chest back up! (Thank you, barre3!)
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 10:37 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
Found this old thread when looking for exercise tips/hacks. For roll-ups, have you tried holding light dumbbells? The weights held out in front of you may help make it past the hump.
Sometimes lower back flexibility is the problem and not strength. Bending your knees will help with that. Another tip I've heard is putting a small rolled up towel under your lower back to press against.
Old 04-12-22, 01:27 PM  
loulou

Lauren Brooks is the greatest at teaching the proper kettlebell swing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kACv1gnpg-Q
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 04:10 PM  
Karla25

Thank you both for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
I will give it a try. Hopefully, I won't whack my knees with the weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Sometimes lower back flexibility is the problem and not strength. Bending your knees will help with that. Another tip I've heard is putting a small rolled up towel under your lower back to press against.
If I bend my knees and put my feet under 10lb dumbbells, I don't do too badly. Unfortunately, I still need a bit of assist with my hands if I stop practicing for a few days. I have a very tight back and have been working on loosening it, but with gardening and dog walking it's almost a losing battle.

Tags
chaturanga, form, form tips