Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-22, 08:35 PM  
bubbles76

I'm dealing with a knee injury right now. My workouts are Margaret Richard and Misty Tripoli for cardio. Just started this week . I'm doing all of Margaret's workouts because she has the best lower body work without subjecting myself to squats and lunges (which hurt now).
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 08:54 PM  
fanofladyvols

Jane you've gotten some great advice! I just wanted to cheer you on for starting again. The beauty of it is that it's not really a true start from point 0 because your body will remember and ALL the previous minutes mattered!!

Congrats to you and anyone else that is moving forward adding more minutes!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 10:57 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Powerfit Harmony is a good beginner set if you want to follow a rotation. Cathe's Total Muscle Sculpting and Basic Step + Body Fusion are pretty good too, solid workouts without killing yourself in the process.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 01:19 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I seem to constantly be restarting each week after all of my nagging injuries in the past few years thanks to perimenopause.

My go-to order:
(1) Rest and walking around the house (once able)
(2) More walking around the house
(3) Once my nagging injuries are okay, I start back with Pahla or Leslie a couple times a week.
(4) If injury is okay, then I add in some CS/Essentrics mixed with those.
(5) If that doesn't bother it, then a week would look like: Pahla/Leslie, then Ellen, then CS/Ess, then Jessica, then CS/Ess, then a lightweight workout, then just walking. Repeat.
(6) I keep it to 30 mins max the first few weeks and then max out at 45. Any more than that and I'll just burn out and reinjure myself faster.

And I totally modify everything down to cater to where I'm at in the moment. I've learned the hard way to not be a hero!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 02:35 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Good for you for restarting!

Another vote for Team Body Project. Daniel is very motivating and I like that the background people look like "regular people."

I've been doing somewhat of a "restart" and I'm plunging in doing my favorite instructors but modifying the heck out of them when needed. I'm not jumping or twisting and certain things like floor pushups are verboten for now, so I just substitute moves I can do without issue.

I tend to get bored with workouts labeled "beginner" and prefer to modify "down" rather than "up" but YMMV.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 07:05 PM  
Tugger31

With all of my restarts, I've had the best luck with just choosing a program for the strength training and then doing whatever cardio I want. I tend to get workout-ADHD and sometimes frustrated when I can't do all the cardio. With the strength training I will even consider doing "harder" workouts such as the weights from Ripped With HiiT b/c the heavier weight training workouts are usually slower paced. I just use weights that are good for me, if it's just 3 lbs.

Recently, I have been doing the weights from Cathe's LITE series. I did that for a month, then did the weights from CTX for a month. For cardio I did mostly walking, some kickboxing and some stationary bike. Cardio depends on my time and energy level. I've now moved onto STS and I'm modifying that to fit my needs.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-22, 07:19 PM  
s2546

Tugger31- Thanks this is an interesting suggestion.

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 08:28 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
Do the workouts you love, no matter what they are. Start with something that is 10 or 15 minutes long then add on if you feel like you want to do more. Sometimes, you just need to start something short and you'll be more motivated to do more.
I think this is great advice.

For me, my brain training years ago was to always come back from an injury or workload layoff by pulling out Slim in 6 Start It Up, and doing mailbox to mailbox walk/runs.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 12:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
doing mailbox to mailbox walk/runs.
thanks for the reminder - i used to do street light to street light intervals.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-22, 04:38 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

When I'm restarting I usually reach for indoor walking workouts, whether Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith or Jenny Ford. I don't want to think too much about a rotation, until I know I can be consistent again. Yeah, it can be a bit boring but I enjoy the positivity and encouragement from these above instructors.

And, if I want to throw in an Upper, Lower, or Total Body workout a couple times a week...I'll do that. And, usually it's a basic workout like Kelly Coffey Meyer's Start Up or Your Best Body, keeping it simple. Or, Jessica Smith, too!

If you want something a little different maybe a fusion workout would interest you? Jessica has some good ones, and Ellen is great, too...though I sometimes find hers a little longer than I would like.

And, sometimes trying a beginner rotation might jumpstart or motivate you, too! If you have a calendar from someone you can print out, you don't have to spend time wondering what to do. So many instructors have rotations you can follow.

Maybe you can spend a few moments to search some of the older threads here for inspiration, too!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restarting