Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-20, 09:24 AM  
sherry7899

If you practice yoga regularly...

When do you practice? I love to get my whole workout done in the morning, but I notice if I do cardio or weights and try to do yoga right after, I just want to basically do lying on the floor or seated practices My legs are toast.

I may try to move my yoga practice to right before making dinner or while dinner is cooking if I am making something hands off. I hope at that time I can do more of a standing practice.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 12:02 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
When do you practice? I love to get my whole workout done in the morning, but I notice if I do cardio or weights and try to do yoga right after, I just want to basically do lying on the floor or seated practices My legs are toast.

I may try to move my yoga practice to right before making dinner or while dinner is cooking if I am making something hands off. I hope at that time I can do more of a standing practice.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sherry
I do yoga twice a day. I do a longer practice in the morning and a shorter, targeted practice in the afternoon. I found this works well for me.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 01:25 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Mornings, within 10 minutes of waking.
Old 09-26-20, 01:30 PM  
PhyllisG

First thing in the morning
Tho now yoga is all i do. Again the late afternoon. I have given up weights after many years. All i want to do is yoga
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 03:09 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Tho now yoga is all i do. Again the late afternoon. I have given up weights after many years. All i want to do is yoga
Phyllis, May I ask what instructors or practices you do? I find the idea of doing only yoga appealing in theory, but I don’t know if I could ever do it. Did you make the transition gradually? What did you do before that? Thanks for your input.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 03:37 PM  
sjane

My husband and I do yoga together every evening, usually around 8:30 or so. It's become our daily wind down, even if we choose a more energetic practice. We're both also runners and lift some, too, so I like having it at a separate time.
sjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-20, 03:59 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

It depends what kind of yoga I'm doing. If it's more rigorous and strength building, I try to do it in the morning with some light cardio (note: most of my workouts have been on the lighter side lately). I don't think I would do any other strength training that day.

If I'm doing more targeted release, relaxation, or stretchy yoga, then I do that before bed, sometime between 8:30 and 10. I'm trying to turn the screens off by 10.

Admittedly, I'm not doing as much yoga as I used to, but I am doing Essentrics, which kind of falls under the same general category for me. My new tv and Roku in my workout area makes it fun to find something on YouTube if I need a 10 minute neck/shoulders/jaw release. And that I sometimes do in the afternoon when I'm just hanging out.
Old 09-26-20, 05:47 PM  
BunnyHop

My yoga is more of the slow moving, contemplative, moving in coordination with the breath sort. Very first thing in the morning, to warm me up for the day, or as part of my evening routine.

I don't tend to do anything very strenuous.
Old 09-26-20, 05:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I am a convert as well, though I feel like I need to do some weights still, so maybe one or two days a week I'll do some of that. Sherry, I sometimes will do a short weight workout and follow with yoga. Sometimes, like you, I cannot face the yoga and I skip but since it's the yoga I love that doesn't happen very often.

I also try to do cardio multiple times a week and find I am usually fine adding yoga on to that.

Kim, you may have gathered this from our checkin but it's the Udaya streaming site that got me loving yoga so much -- finally. I have dabbled in it over the years, but I am definitely really loving it now and feel it's doing a great job keeping me looking toned. And, I can still move the 50 pound bags of chicken feed and 35 pound dog food bags.
Old 09-27-20, 10:51 AM  
PhyllisG

My absolute favorites include all 4 seasons of Namaste Yoga plus Kate Potters Elements. I rotate these first thing every am. Later in the day any of Micheline Berry’s especially the third one and the Liquid Asanas set. Like the third one because it has a good squat and core segment plus rejuvenation. Also Vytas for Yoga for Strength. Sara Ivanhoe Yoga on the Edge and Taste for pm.
I was an original FirmBeliever and Cathe follower for years. Did 2 rounds of STS. Right now it is yoga and sometimes a 15 min FeFit.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga