Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-16, 05:33 AM  
schoolgirl-01

i have the best results from long intense work especially when it comes to shaping my muscles.

i've never struggled with consistency but that just isn't enough for me to make any serious progress- consistency is more a maintenance thing for me and not an advancement in endurance or quality/shape of my muscles.

i've never suffered injury or any of the typically signs of over training.

i'm also one of those people who experience a diminished appetite from prolonged or intense training so over eating is never a problem. i actually have to keep track of everything just to make sure i'm getting enough nutrients to fuel my training.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 05:45 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desderata View Post
What's the saying - it's not the years, but the miles? I did two decades of long, very intense workouts, and during that time broke a foot, had two knee surgeries, and a shoulder injury. All of those come back to haunt me now if I try to do the long, intense workouts on a regular basis. I think it's age + old injuries.
This is my experience too Age + accumulated injuries. I try for consistency with shorter, less strenuous workouts.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:09 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
i'm also one of those people who experience a diminished appetite from prolonged or intense training so over eating is never a problem.
Good I feel like less of an anomaly Ever tried Imax 3?

I do wonder if it's like what Usia said though. Could it be age related? How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm 40.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:52 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
This. Personally, I do much better with walking, Pilates (and the type I do isn't easy), and occasional barre or low impact cardio for variety. It's so individual.

I am more hungry and achy with more intense workouts.
^ This is me, too! Walking, Pilates & Yoga is the 'magic' for me!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 06:55 AM  
Diana3271

For me, I think I do better with longer cardio, not necessarily intense and weight training 2-3 times a week. My body also seems to like longer circuit (cardio/weight training) workouts.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 07:21 AM  
buffmama

Not necessarily. I can work out less and weight less - but won't be as strong. Increasing workout time will make me stronger. For functional fitness, I'd guess somewhere in the middle would work to balance everythiing.
Old 10-13-16, 07:25 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
My workout twin!
Old 10-13-16, 07:27 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
This. Personally, I do much better with walking, Pilates.... I am more hungry and achy with more intense workouts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
+2! (or 3?) This is just my body though and personal preference. Doing longer, more intense and "traditional" stuff has left me just plain worn out and unable to stay consistent. Walking & Pilates have been my 'magic' as Val said to keep me consistent and feeling so, so good!! I'm also not as hungry and it seems to be keeping me strong enough for my own lifestyle needs and provides good endurance.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 09:09 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I don't know what's considered "harder" or "longer" anymore, but I get my best results with heavy weights followed by HIIT, in about 45 to 75 minutes, 2-3 times a week.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 10:03 AM  
Breezy Trousers

You have to experiment with your own body to see what's true for you.

Much of the answer may depend on your hormonal status.

What was true for me in my 20's/30's/40's+ (intense exercise) has become hormonally contradictive during the past year .... I felt less crazy when I read a personal trainer's article outlining how he helped his menopausal mother lose weight. One of the things he did was encourage her to stop exercising so intensely. This advice all related back to balancing her hormones. It's counterintuitive.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high intensity, intense workouts, long workouts, results