Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-16, 09:14 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Agree, Cathe has very little for beginners. I have her Basic Step & Low Impact Step. I like both and would rate them low intermediate.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 02:07 PM  
nschultz

Most Cathe workouts are too intense for me, but I bought ICE at the beginning of the year and absolutely love it.

I would consider myself an intermediate exerciser, but you could definitely modify (she has one) and go lighter on the weights. There are a gazillion premixes which translates to a ton of variety. I really enjoy the set.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 02:21 PM  
TinaT

I've done alot of previewing over at Total Fitness within the last few days and I'm passing for sure. I think I'll stick with Tracie Long and her functional fitness moves. Plus she has a 4-limb feel to some of her moves, which is my favorite!

I think I can check Cathe off my list of "curiosity" tries. Thank you everyone for the much appreciated input. It really helped.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 07:57 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschultz View Post
Most Cathe workouts are too intense for me, but I bought ICE at the beginning of the year and absolutely love it.

I would consider myself an intermediate exerciser, but you could definitely modify (she has one) and go lighter on the weights. There are a gazillion premixes which translates to a ton of variety. I really enjoy the set.
I agree, I get a really good workout with the ICE series, I don't really see the need to expand, even though I picked up a couple LIS and one Xtrain DVD. I will definitely be modifying with those, same with the couple oldies that I have.

I find that I am really enjoying her older easier workouts too, like High Step Circuit. I plan on busting out Basic Step here soon too.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 08:47 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
There is so much out there when it comes to Cathe. Had I used her as she grew here collection of workouts, I wouldn't be so overwhelmed. But I haven't used her very much, other than her beginner step when it first came out.

I know she has MANY series to choose from. Does she have a beginner/no impact series? Intermediate that modifies easily to beginner? I say beginner, because that probably equates to intermediate with other instructors. Yes - no?

I love my weight work and want to use lighter weights but still break a sweat. I revisited Margaret Richard and I'm passing for now.

TIA ~
Hi Tina. Other than the few workouts that were mentioned above, Cathe doesn't have much geared towards beginners. She has said for years that her workouts are targeted towards advanced exercisers. She did the Low Impact Series and ICE series because so many people asked for low impact and intermediate workouts, but that's not Cathe's focus. Also, most of Cathe's workouts don't have modifiers to show easier options.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-16, 08:48 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Agree, Cathe has very little for beginners. I have her Basic Step & Low Impact Step. I like both and would rate them low intermediate.
Your avatar is so cute, Pam!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 01:01 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Your avatar is so cute, Pam!
it looks like Pam too!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 06:36 AM  
Breezy Trousers

IME, Flex Train is one of Cathe's easiest workouts. (I've done it in my pj's.) It's fun.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 07:22 AM  
bearcatfan

I really like the ICE series - I think it's one of the most approachable Cathe offerings in a long time.

I've always modified my Cathe workouts in one way or another, due to foot issues and just not being able to do some of the stuff she does. Hey, even in the original IMAX Hope modified those stinking power scissors on camera because she ran out of steam, and Cathe pointed it out in a good way. So if Hope can do it, so can I.

Like others, I'm down to the Cathe workouts I really like that have good (to me) music and no dread. There's a lot out there, and you certainly don't have to do a Cathe workout, but she's worth looking into if you can borrow or even do a month of Cathe on Demand.
Old 10-05-16, 07:32 AM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I think I can check Cathe off my list of "curiosity" tries....
I love this sentence! There are so many workouts that VFers have put on my list of 'curiosity tries.

Tracy Anderson & HDM probably top my list but Tracie Long is beginning to move up there....
bex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe beginner, cathe intermediate