Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-16, 02:53 PM  
lorajc

Smile Don't Forget These Important Area's - Foam Rolling!!

Just a tip I picked up from someone (fitness instructor) that I never used until recently....that I wanted to share. This is especially good if you have neck, shoulder problems or just stress, tension, tightness.

Be sure to get under your armpits and along the side of your body...back into the rhomboids, etc. I even rolled a bit on my shoulders and upper arms since I have severe neck issues....felt so good!

Also, since our feet have so many nerve endings and many of us are on them so much.....foam roll your feet. It feels great. That's a tip I got from a fitness friend. I use my Rumble Roller....doesn't feel as good on a soft foam roller.....but it depends on what type of pressure you like. I prefer...a deep pressure massage....thus the Rumble Roller.

(oh and if you have TMJ....your jaw...side of the face..I have horrible Tmj)
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 06:07 PM  
Tanja

The first time I used the Rumble Roller, I broke out into cold, stinky sweat (part of the flight or fight body response) and I had little bruises all over my calfs and thighs. After a while, foam rolling removed the trigger spots in my legs, and now it just feels good and no more bruising.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 07:14 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Thank you! Interesting posts! I seldom pull my foam roller out but, when I do, it really does make a difference.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 02:33 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I read a suggestion somewhere to use a golf ball on your feet. That works really well for me!

And thanks for the reminders--I tend to focus on the big muscles like quads, but really, hitting those smaller, more hidden ones would probably suit me better as far as releasing tension, etc.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 10:06 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I agree about the golf ball on the feet. Along the same lines, I LOVE getting a tennis ball and moving it around my upper back and neck against a wall. I have also been using the tennis ball on my calves which has really helped alleviate plantar fasciitis issues. I have very tight calves.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 10:19 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

In Spinervals: Flexible Warrior 5.0 Foam Roll, Stretch & Recover, instructor Karen Dubs does the full body, including shins, back, lats and triceps.

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item192.cfm

This is a favorite!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-16, 03:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
In Spinervals: Flexible Warrior 5.0 Foam Roll, Stretch & Recover, instructor Karen Dubs does the full body, including shins, back, lats and triceps.

This is a favorite!
I've had that DVD for, I dunno, YEARS and have yet to try it. Is it easy to break up into short segments?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 06:59 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I just watched a good instructional foam rolling video on YouTube this morning. Ashley Borden is the instructor. She shows rolling techniques for almost the entire body. I wanted to review technique, so this was perfect. She even showed rolling from under the armpits, for the lats. I had never tried this before. It is about 13 min long.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 11:35 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post

This is a favorite!
I had this....so long.....I think I either traded or loaned it. I never did it because it was so long.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 12:20 PM  
Julier
VF Supporter

Sherry - that you tube video was very helpful. Thank you for posting.
Julier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flexible warrior, foam roller