Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-15, 08:34 PM  
Aunt Famous

MTM -- Mary Richards was a home exerciser!

I have been watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and in season 1, episode 4, Mary and Rhoda are working out at home. They are doing some bouncy dancer's stretches, and Mary is dressed in a black leotard, tights, and a gold scarf in her hair. When I was little, I wanted to be Mary when I grew up -- and in one respect, I am!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-15, 09:33 PM  
sherry7899

I have the whole series on Dvd! I remember that episode.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-15, 11:58 PM  
Demeris

Oh, my gosh. I loved that show, and the Bob Newhart show, which came on right after. And then the Carol Burnett show (can you see how I spent my early adolescence?).

I wonder which instructors Mary would have loved. I bet Rhoda would have liked different ones.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 12:59 AM  
marya

MTM actually did an aerobics video! I don't recall the year--I spotted the tape once in a bargain bin.

Yup, MTM, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett--that was how one old flame and I wiled away cold Saturday nights in Anchorage.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 12:15 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
I have been watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and in season 1, episode 4, Mary and Rhoda are working out at home. They are doing some bouncy dancer's stretches, and Mary is dressed in a black leotard, tights, and a gold scarf in her hair. When I was little, I wanted to be Mary when I grew up -- and in one respect, I am!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
How funny--I too wanted to be Mary when I grew up--and think that in some ways I am, as well!

Love, love LOVED the first Bob Newhart show as well

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 12:30 PM  
iheartsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale K. View Post
How funny--I too wanted to be Mary when I grew up--and think that in some ways I am, as well!

Love, love LOVED the first Bob Newhart show as well
I also wanted to be Mary! I used to babysit the night it was on (Saturday?) and always watched Mary & Bob. Great memories...
Old 10-11-15, 12:41 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Oh wow! MTM was one of my favorite shows! Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett, so many great shows in the 70's. They really don't make quality shows like that anymore!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 01:44 PM  
lesia

I was too young to enjoy MTM show when it first came on. Grade school, but I do remember as I was getting ready to go to bed, I'd hear the theme song and peek into the livingroom and sneak a peek at the beret tossing. I always laughed at the odd expression of the woman in the background.

I always thought about that song and that scene because MTM was sooo pretty and vivacious yet she was independent. Years ahead of the game.

Flash forward to two weeks ago and I was wanting to marathon watch something on Hulu. MTM came across the screen because Lucy and I had watched all of I Love Lucy.

We clicked on MTM icon and now we're on Season 2.

BTW I thought the same thing when I saw Mary and Rhoda exercising.

I love her apartment, her style and her best friend.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-15, 02:27 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

PBS is having a special on Mary Tyler Moore later this week. On my PBS station, it is on Tuesday evening, but check the listings in your area. It may be on at a different time in other locations.
Old 10-11-15, 02:40 PM  
lrb04

When I was about 7, even though The Dick Van Dyke show were reruns then- I wanted my hair to look like Laura's style. My mom's friend s had a good laugh at that. MTM was a dancer & was on TV commercials prior to TV shows! She danced & sang on Dick Van Dyke. I love the MTM show as well as Rhoda.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldf12KsqT7M
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote