Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-04, 10:19 AM  
gypsygirl64

I don't think Cathe cardio is mindless at all. If I really didn't concentrate, I could really hurt myself!

I do have some older beginner/intermediate videos that I have memorized and I like to use them if I have something on my mind and can't concentrate.

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 10:25 AM  
Carol_is_fit

All types of workouts have mental benefits for me!

I also don't feel aerobics or step is "mindless". I have to concentrate when I'm doing it or I fall off the step - LOL!! I love to lift, and I concentrate very much when I'm doing strength training, remembering to use good form and tighten my core. Otherwise I know I'm wasting the workout time. I also do yoga and I have for years, but I honestly don't find it benefits me mentally any more than a really fun cardio workout or a really tough strength workout does. I suppose as in everything, we are each unique in what motivates us or does not. Working out - no matter what the discipline - IS my mental release. ALL types of it. Without it, I'm a major crank, I don't sleep as well, I feel like a huge slug, and I can't concentrate as effectively during the day. It keeps me centered and focused.

Carol
Old 10-30-04, 10:33 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Oh, uh yeah. I'm a closet tri-athlete. (In my dreams!!!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 10:36 AM  
gypsygirl64

Alta,
Every time I see your avatar it makes me laugh!

Laura
gypsygirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 10:54 AM  
tapdancer

To Each His Own

I guess it is just how you look at things. I find aerobics with complex choreography quite challenging and I believe it helps the brain...(studies have showed this to be true.)

Kickboxing/Tae Bo is challenging to me also and it is a type of meditation to me.

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking."

~Agnes De Milles~

tapdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 11:14 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Well, what is mindless to one person is not mindless to someone else. I am extremely choreography-challenged so what someone more inclined in that regard could do effortlessly requires serious concentration from me. Just try to remember that we are all different people here

Joanna
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 11:16 AM  
horsemom2

LOL Total opposite here!

Yoga has been totally boring and mindless to me whenever I have tried it!!
When I do cardio or weights or AWT, I am constantly thinking of what muscles are working and how to work them less if the activity is too intense or how to work them more or differently if I want more intensity or a new challenge. My mind is constantly modifying whichever workout I am doing to make the workout feel good.

Barb S
who just never could get my mind into yoga and uses Tai Chi and dynamic stretching instead
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 11:50 AM  
ots

I love to dance. Sometimes, it is mindless. That's when the joy of movement can be the most fun. Learning choreography can be challenging. But sometimes, that's just work. Once the choreography is learned and the moved are established, the simple pleasure of moving takes over. It's the reason I love to swim too. I'm not learning how to swim. I'm not improving my stroke. Just moving and enjoying the rhythm of the pace, the silence, the feel of the water.

Daisyglow, I hate spinning and running. For me, it's crushing boredom. Yeah, my heart is pumping non-stop and I'm sweating like mad. But I am also counting seconds until it is over. If that's what step and aerobics do to you, then, don't do it.

Other mindless activities that I enjoy despite my also being in my 30s include: playing frisbee and keepaway with my dog, singing to my favorite album for the 500th time, and the worst: playing minesweeper when I'm on the phone.

BTW, I love yoga too. But, often it isn't taking me to a higher plane. Sometimes, I find it too silly. i.e. "feel like someone is licking ice cream off your body."
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 12:02 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I don't find any type of exercise "mindless". Even when I'm doing a cardio workout with very basic choreography that doesn't require any brain power to follow, I'm thinking about my movements, my breathing, and how my body is responding to the exercise. My movements are mindful whether I'm doing yoga, stretching, Pilates, aerobics, or strength training.

IMHO, any exercise can be moving meditation. I'm glad that there are so many healthy activities that I enjoy. I'm never bored!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-04, 12:23 PM  
CrystalLR

Location: Somerset, PA(1 hr. east of Pittsburgh...where Flight#93 crashed)
Well, you DO have to find the "right fit" for Y-O-U, that is a given key to staying consistent and getting results. If your goal is to become more flexible and strong, especially in a core sense, and not add to bone density or cardio vascular conditioning to the optimum, then yoga may fit you. Just keep in mind that by doing only one form of exercise you are missing out on the "whole picture" as well as may arrive at a day of boredom for having overdone that one form. Just my experience personally and with clients. The BEST exercise for an individual is what fits their goals and lifestyle and that will consistently do. Bottom line=the best workouts are those which you will consistently do.
BTW, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so there isn't any real need to apologize for a "rant". At least, IMHO

Crystal
CrystalLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, mindless workouts