Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-21, 01:42 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation The best, most effective rotation is the one you will actually do!

I've been doing the same, dull rotation pretty much exclusively for about three years. I'll try other things and end up back with this.

It is nothing fancy or complicated. I have a theme for the day and plug in the workout that catches my eye. I like that it has plenty of wiggle room to include rest days and/or days to focus on balance, mobility and flexibility. These three aspects of fitness become more and more crucial as one ages.

I do have some injuries and limitations to work around. I'm also hypothyroid, which zaps my energy and motivation sometimes. (Which means that sometimes I skip the Intervals.)

Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
Monday: Steady State Cardio
Tuesday: Upper/Abs & Intervals
Wednesday: Steady State Cardio, Mobility or Balance
Thursday: Lower/Abs
Friday: Stretch, Mobility or Balance
Saturday: Total Body Strength

Sure, it looks boring. But, I have kept to it through the "world going to hell" year and didn't gain any weight.

Find something you enjoy. That is the miracle rotation!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 03:33 PM  
zoegirl

Thanks for sharing! I try to do at least one upper body and one total body strength or metabolic workout a week. We walk outside (steady state) several times a week from now thru September (weather permitting). I know I need to incorporate more mobility/stretching/balance and am working on that. Also, need more leg specific work, besides the walking. And abs - oh, my abs! I'm not good at sticking with rotations, usually doing what I feel like, which sometimes is just a 1-2 mile Leslie. Better than nothing though!

What are you doing for mobility training?
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 03:50 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've been doing the same, dull rotation pretty much exclusively for about three years. I'll try other things and end up back with this.

It is nothing fancy or complicated. I have a theme for the day and plug in the workout that catches my eye. I like that it has plenty of wiggle room to include rest days and/or days to focus on balance, mobility and flexibility. These three aspects of fitness become more and more crucial as one ages.

I do have some injuries and limitations to work around. I'm also hypothyroid, which zaps my energy and motivation sometimes. (Which means that sometimes I skip the Intervals.)

Sunday: Stretch, Mobility and/or Balance
Monday: Steady State Cardio
Tuesday: Upper/Abs & Intervals
Wednesday: Steady State Cardio, Mobility or Balance
Thursday: Lower/Abs
Friday: Stretch, Mobility or Balance
Saturday: Total Body Strength

Sure, it looks boring. But, I have kept to it through the "world going to hell" year and didn't gain any weight.

Find something you enjoy. That is the miracle rotation!
I completely agree with the quote. If you don't enjoy it then no matter how good it is for you, you won't do it.
Old 05-26-21, 05:07 PM  
Kitten

This is so true. I already had plans to break up with my current rotation and return to my true love.

Body Beast
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 08:40 PM  
schoolgirl-01

thanks for sharing. i love the theme day. i have tried so many times to follow rotations and just can't do it.

this sounds like something i can do because i get to choose what workout that fits the theme
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 10:10 PM  
fanofladyvols

Good for you, Alta! Yours provides plenty of flexibility to choose workouts, too.

I totally agree. Finding ways to move that challenge that don't leave me beat me up is key for me.

If I have to take longer than a challenge is "supposed" to be or if I have to change a rotation to suit my needs and body...well by golly, that's what I'm gonna do!! Plus I love playing with rotations

I do mobility and balance (a few moves) all throughout the day (in addition to being a part of my warmup/cooldowns. )

It's interesting how different my balance is between my dominant and non-dominant leg. My current challenge is trying to keep balance longer on one foot with eyes closed. Harder than you'd think!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 08:11 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 09:05 AM  
donnamp

I really like rotations, like this. On Jessica Valent's unlmited site, her recommended rotation is this (and it is easy to do w/ Pilates or any other workout style you like!)

Monday - Steady State Cardio
Tuesday - Upper Body & More
Wed - HIIT & Abs
Thurs - Active Recovery
Friday - Legs & More
Saturday - Steady State Cardio
Sunday - Rest/Active Rest

It seems well balanced w/out overdoing anything.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 12:23 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Zoegirl - For mobility, I do Lee Holdens' 30-day Qi Gong Challenge every morning (only 7 minutes). I like his Qi Gong for Seniors and and his Joints & Bones one. I really like Lee's Better Balance DVD as it works mobility and balance. Debbie Seibers' Body Dynamix 1 has a nice stretch mobility workout. Paul Eugene has a good stretch, balance and mobility one on YouTube. The sound is kind of bad, but improves a bit as the workout goes on. I really enjoy the variety of moves and the very slow pace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRNnyIwk4GE

PennyK - For cardio, it is usually Leslie Sansone, Jenny Ford or Jessica Smith. For intervals, I like many of the Team Body Project workouts. For strength, it could be any of my (way too many) weights DVDs depending on whether I'm going high-rep or heavy.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 08:27 AM  
zoegirl

Zoegirl - For mobility, I do Lee Holdens' 30-day Qi Gong Challenge every morning (only 7 minutes). I like his Qi Gong for Seniors and and his Joints & Bones one. I really like Lee's Better Balance DVD as it works mobility and balance. Debbie Seibers' Body Dynamix 1 has a nice stretch mobility workout. Paul Eugene has a good stretch, balance and mobility one on YouTube. The sound is kind of bad, but improves a bit as the workout goes on. I really enjoy the variety of moves and the very slow pace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRNnyIwk4GE

Thanks, Alta! I will check these out!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generic rotation, rotation, rotations