Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-17, 07:19 AM  
sherry7899

discouraged-retstarting exercise after being sick

I was sick with bronchitis for over two weeks. I attempted a Soul Sweat dance class yesterday, and lasted all of ten minutes. It is so discouraging to go from an hour of cardio to not making it to even fifteen minutes! My energy level is still pretty low and I still have a lingering cough.

I did a half hour of gentle floor yoga this morning instead of attempting cardio again. I did not cough at all. At least it was something.

I need some encouragement for getting my stamina back-any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:26 AM  
upperwside

Sorry you have been sick. Do you have a rebounder? If not.. try a walking workout with hand weights? Try doing the fist stage of Slim in Six?

Feel better.. don't overdo it and set your self back even more.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:28 AM  
hollymarie

Hope you'll regain your strength and feel better soon, Sherry. Perhaps you can increase your efforts a bit at a time, and maybe do some 10 minute walking or youtube workouts. Walking outside is another possibility, although it's so hot now that might not be good!

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:42 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you both! I appreciate your encouragement. I gave away my rebounder, but I could do a short ride on my recumbent bike or a few minutes on the treadmill. Dance workouts are my favorite cardio, though! I really miss it.

Hollymarie-you know how gross the humidity is in NJ today!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:48 AM  
desie

I wouldn't worry about it. I would baby my lungs a little longer until that cough is history. It's not restarting, you are just waiting until you have fully healed before adding an exercise stress. If it bums you out not being able to do your regular workouts, maybe you could use that time to do something you wouldn't normally do, like go to a pool and use the whirlpool and stay in the hot shower a super long time. Or go to a public flower garden or a garden greenhouse store.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 07:55 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I would baby my lungs a little longer until that cough is history. It's not restarting, you are just waiting until you have fully healed before adding an exercise stress. If it bums you out not being able to do your regular workouts, maybe you could use that time to do something you wouldn't normally do, like go to a pool and use the whirlpool and stay in the hot shower a super long time. Or go to a public flower garden or a garden greenhouse store.
I agree with every bit of this!

Definitely let yourself continue to recover.

Get well, and then rebuild at a reasonable pace. For now, just get well. Doesn't sound as though you're quite there yet.

Bronchitis can be tough, so give it time.
People I've known recovering from it needed a while before they could be as active as before. Just because things seem more normal, it doesn't mean you're not still healing.
Old 06-13-17, 08:07 AM  
mandie123

Slow walking,or gentle yoga for a couple of weeks.When I've been sick and starting back,I feel better if I just do 20 minutes a day of movement.Hope you feel better!!
Old 06-13-17, 08:13 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Walking is the best restart for me when I've been sick. Gentle stretching is good too - think Jessica Smith's videos.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 08:18 AM  
muggle

I agree w/ what others have said. You should try to baby the lungs and let your body rest. It is fighting to get better and that can make you fatigued. I've had bronchitis before so I know how you feel....crappy!! I might do some light weights, yoga or something light just to feel my body move and stretch. It's not forever but you really need to let things heal up before you make them work hard.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 09:10 AM  
buttons11

Ahh Sherry it's so hard to face a different spot to start back from. Reframing this as 'recovery' rather than restarting is a good idea. For me, this severe asthma started April 2013, and the doctor was impressed with my lung function at that time [kettlebell training ]. He said my lung capacity was better than 98% of those that came into his office. And I didn't loose that overnight with. It took about 2 years to 'loose' my awesome baseline lung capacity. I'm telling you this to emphasise that you don't typically loose that baseline with an acute illness. If you are symptomatic you are certainly in recovery mode still. And even after symptoms recede, you will likely still have a week or two of recovery. Give it time, try to be kind to yourself. Your lungs will bounce back once recovered.

Oh, and I would encourage you for now to maybe avoid pools, hot tubs long showers etc with chlorine exposure as the chlorine may irritate your lungs and may impede your recovery.

When you are ready, an easy walk is the one of the most accessible recovery modes. I prefer crack-o-dawn as air is cleaner, cooler. Stay close to home, like back and forth in front of your house. I call it my asthma shuffle. Some days I only make it two houses down to the corner. Don't do like I did and get 3 blocks away and then poop out. I had to rest on a curb, took me twice as long to shuffle back home. Oh, and if doc gave you a rescue inhaler, take a couple puffs 5-10min before you leave, and then take it with you.

I really hope you feel better soon Sherry.
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote