Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-17, 08:07 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Attention close to 60s who still enjoy burpees!

Big year 2017, turning 60 on 5/1. I'm very happy to acknowledge that I still enjoy the same high intensity workouts that I did in the past. I overcame many difficulties ( hip replacement, rotator cuff surgery) but bounced back sooner or later. I do not intend to slow down as I enjoy what I do and I feel that I am capable to do it. I know that there are many others out there!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 09:14 AM  
Mickey12

Way to go! You're an inspiration to me. I have already slowed down at age 52 but I hope to continue with fitness for my entire life. My 86 year old stepmom still does exercise class twice per week taught by PT college students. She even had group shirts made for the participants from her senior high rise. She's an inspiration to me too!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 11:13 AM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Big year 2017, turning 60 on 5/1. I'm very happy to acknowledge that I still enjoy the same high intensity workouts that I did in the past. I overcame many difficulties ( hip replacement, rotator cuff surgery) but bounced back sooner or later. I do not intend to slow down as I enjoy what I do and I feel that I am capable to do it. I know that there are many others out there!
As I was working out yesterday, I was thinking to myself how I can still do all the workout moves as well, or even better, than when I started working out 20 years ago. But everyone talks of how the majority of women stop working out after age 50 and our bodies fall apart and we lose all muscle tone, blah blah blah. It's all so very discouraging.

Anyway, I LOVED reading your post. I am so impressed! I am 48 so I'm not there yet but I can only dream to be as fit as you are at your age! Way to go. Good for you. That's something I want to aspire to.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:01 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I've *never* enjoyed burpees but I salute you and and admire your strength and stamina!! What a wonderful way to live, and happy birthday in advance!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh I thought you were going to give us some clever new burpee modification. I should have known better by who it was coming from. Happy early birthday! You are amazing!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:41 PM  
Genevieve M

Macsta,

I am another who will be turning the big 6-0 this year and glad to be alive!

Unlike you, I have never developed a love of burpees, although I don't see myself slowing down, either. We are what 60 looks like today. My parents were very youthful and active into their seventies. I was to be like Ernestine Shephard and Emmalina Edwards, both started serious lifting late in life. Now, they are both in their seventies, and are in the best shape of their lives.

Let's just keep on going.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 12:51 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'm with Gina, I've never liked burpees and don't like them now so I don't do them. However, I still enjoy fairly high intensity workouts and don't think I have to quit or slow down because of my age which is just a number. As long as you feel good doing your burpees and high intensity workouts - go for it! Your body will tell you when to slow down and it's not necessarily connected to the number on your birth certificate.
Old 02-11-17, 01:30 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Another one here who hates burpees and REFUSES to do them anymore!

But I'm 57 now and still work out just as tough as I used to (okay, maybe not on a daily basis....but I still love to throw Cathe's into my mix just to make sure I can still do them!)

I love hearing about other people my age still pushing their limits!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 01:51 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I've *never* enjoyed burpees but I salute you and and admire your strength and stamina!! What a wonderful way to live, and happy birthday in advance!
This. I'm 67 and still workout everyday but I'm definitely not doing harder workouts like I did in my younger days. I still do Cathe, just not as often.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 01:53 PM  
boundingaway

Smile

Too funny. I thought you were going to share a new burpee style. I, though, am 56 and LOVE burpees. Crazy, but true. I don't do too many in a row, maybe 20, but they are a nice addition to whichever cardio I happen to be doing at the time.

Tags
aging, burpees