Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-16, 11:22 AM  
CarlaShanti

I used to be a vidiot, now I'm fat and nearly 50. Help me!

Hi you guys. I used to hang out here all the time, worked out 6 days a week, weighed 135 lbs and could do 30+ press ups...now I'm 50 in 5 months and get out of puff going up a flight of stairs and I weigh 183. Life threw me some rubbish, and this is how I coped. But all that to say...where do I start? I want to start fresh. But I want to start with something suitable. I've been out of the loop for a while. What instructor do you recommend for me? What starting-over workout? I don't even know what's out there anymore.

Thanks in advance!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 11:32 AM  
laurajhawk

Hi Carla, I remember you! Welcome back.
Jessica Smith has some wonderful workouts these days; she's one of my new favorites. She has a lot on youtube, as well as DVDs - you could check her out there to see if you like her style. Many of them are "walking" workouts, which are very accessible - anyone can do them - but more interesting than "just" walking. And she has "systems", if you like that approach.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 11:40 AM  
LizEMA

Good for you for getting back on the wagon!

I've spent most of my life in an "off" phase, regarding exercise, so I've started over/from square one a lot. I always go back to workouts that are fun for me -- even if they're hard at the moment, I won't get discouraged from doing them or doing another workout the next day. For me, it's always my "oldies but goodies" from Jane Fonda -- fun, uncomplicated, nonthreatening. My most recent restart, though, I added in some of the most recent offerings from Leslie Sansone and KCM's Start Here, as well. I bet Jessica Smith would work for you.

I think its just important to NOT think about how far you are from your goals but on just getting up and doing something and ENJOYING it. There's no way I could work out if I didn't have fun doing it.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-16, 11:40 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

What type of workouts do you like? What instructors did you enjoy? How much time do you have each day to work out?

I think Jessica Smith's latest 4 DVDS would be a great place to start. Each DVD has at least 3 30ish minute workouts. The DVDS cover cardio, strength, core strength, and flexibility. Finally Jessica created a nice rotation that covers all the bases!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:00 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:02 PM  
stacydan

I am in the same situation, starting over yet again, and I’m 47. I am using Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, the beginners Classical Stretch, and Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.

I am learning that I need to just start where I currently am, not stress over where I used to be, and not do too much. Doing a Jessica, I’m following the low impact modifier, and sometimes I still modify that, or can’t do all the reps, and that’s ok; I’m doing something and best of all, I’m seeing progress.

You can do this, you’ve done it before. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of water, and eat mostly clean. Take small steps and modify when you need to. Even if you’re working out for a month and aren’t seeing the scale move, think about all the positive things going on inside your body that you can’t see and how much better you feel moving your body, and eventually the scale with start to move; it may be slow but don’t try to rush things (mine is slowly moving, but I do feel better!). Join a check in for encouragement and accountability, there’s lots of variety with different goals. I’m in the Barefoot & On the Mat check-in, we all do a variety of things and everyone is very welcoming and encouraging and we are all at different levels; look through some of the check-in threads and find one that matches your goals.

Find something you enjoy doing and what works best for you. You can do it!
Best of luck to you!

Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:02 PM  
Scorpio6

Powerfit & Stephanie Huckabee

I highly recommend Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit and Powerfit Harmony. These are 20 minute workouts She also has a Weight Watchers workout that comes with a resistance cable and the workouts are in 10 minute increments.

Another recommendation is Karen Voight's Easing Into Fitness which is a chair workout, altho you do stand at the back of the chair for part of it. this is about a 35-40 minute workout and the time just flies by. This workout is excellent, works every muscle in the body, and she is NOT condescending, is very professional with good information. Eqpmt needed includes dumbbells, ankle weight belts, a resistance band and possibly a 3 lb weighted ball altho you could substitute a dumbbell for those few moves at the beginning.

Jane Fonda's newest videos are very good, I especially like her new walking video. The set is lovely, and Jane has such good, motivating information all through the walk. She does a 1 mile equivalent in 20 minutes. She also has a strength video which is nice but I like the Powerfits and Karen Voight's video better.

Good luck to you and congrats for re-starting your health journey!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:09 PM  
BunnyHop

I cope with menopause related insomnia, and I can definitely relate to starting over. For me, it's pretty much always about starting where I am, wherever that might be on any given day, and just doing what I can.

I get along best with shorter workouts. Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Jessica Smith, KCM, etc. If I'm full of energy I can do an hour's worth, but if I'm not, the shorter segments keep me more limber than I would be otherwise.

Plain old walking is good stuff, it's great for my core. I start slowly, gradually increasing my speed and distance. It's convenient and something I can work into my day.

If I'm really feeling creaky, Classical Stretch Season 10 episode 30 is a nice standing stress reliever.

Petra Kolber's Liquid Grooves is my 'I'm not feeling well' workout. Gentle, kind of boring with lots of TIFTing, but something I can do on a sick day when I want to move but don't want anything jarring.

KCM's weights workouts help me feel strong.
When I'm feeling less strong than that, plain old kettlebell swings add a bit of weight and cardio to my day. I also like jumping on the rebounder.

I guess for me, it's mostly about knowing what I can do when my health varies and just being resolute in doing something, however 'wimpy' it might seem. Consistency over time is the biggest help for me.
Old 09-04-16, 12:23 PM  
spotted zebra

Some people like Mirabai Holland, who is very encouraging.

http://www.mirabaiholland.com/
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-16, 12:41 PM  
Tugger31

I recommend Jessica Smith as well. If you're more into systems, this one has gottten rave reviews. Like others have said she does have alot of free stuff on youtube as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Walk-Strong-T.../dp/B0187Z2IR2

And congrats on taking back your life and getting back into health and fitness!! Try not to worry about where you used to be, just keep looking forward and enjoy your new journey toward renewed health and wellness. You are worth it!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50, restarting