Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-14, 02:09 PM  
bk1

Woman sues gym after exercise band leaves her partially blind

I'm not sure if she will win any money because it might be considered partially her fault. This is the important part of the story:

Lapp was instructed to put the band around her feet and pull the handles towards her chest, her lawyer told the newspaper. As she was performing the exercise, the elastic part of the band slipped off her foot and smacked her in the face, the Post said.

She had hemorrhages in her eyes and lost vision in her left eye. I think she might have been given a band with too much resistance. It's sort of scary to m.. I think I prefer weights to bands now.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 02:11 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Wow. I was watching the preview for the new P90 and Tony has a caution about the doorbands, to always check them before working out since they're basically a slingshot with your face as the target.

I admit I'm a little lazy about checking my bands. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-06-14, 02:11 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Old 11-06-14, 02:48 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Poor woman!
I'm not a fan of bands. In theory they're great but every time I've used one I've wondered if it might snap, cause I've had that happen to me before.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:07 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh dear! I've always been freaked out by bands. My older brother went through a jerky phase when we were kids and he would shoot rubber bands at me. (He's nice now!)
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:09 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

That is scary. I don't use bands often but do have some in a basket. Occasionally my daughter will play with them....maybe I should get rid of them.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 03:15 PM  
antbuko

I keep mine in a basket too, Jackie, lol. Wow, that is awful what happened to that woman.
Old 11-06-14, 03:31 PM  
Irisg1

That's it. I'm never using a band or tubing ever again! I had a very painful incident once while doing P90X. The tube popped off the hook I had draped it over and whacked me straight across the chest. I had a whip mark and black & blue that lasted a couple weeks, lol. It looked awful.
Old 11-06-14, 04:01 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

What a horrible thing to have happen!

I'm not sure why she's suing. Was the equipment defective that led to the accident and it was used anyway? Did the instructor advise the participants to do something that had a more than likely outcome of causing injury? What I'm hearing is that this was a horrible accident and not necessarily the result of negligence on anyone's part.

Just my two cents.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 04:58 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

When I was going to physical therapy earlier this year, they started a new policy that anyone who does not wear glasses had to wear protective goggles when using the bands.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote