Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-14, 05:30 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Biggest home fitness trends?

I'm writing an article for my regional magazine, which, in January, has a fitness theme. My editor wants info on the five biggest home fitness trends. I'm not sure I'm all that up on the trends anymore, but I'm guessing streaming and YouTube workouts might be up there. Are there any others you would suggest?

Thank you!
Donna Hoke
Old 09-25-14, 05:51 AM  
horsemom2

bungee rebounders
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 06:11 AM  
Demeris

I've never, in my life, been on the front end of a trend. Usually, I'm flailing about in its wake.

That said, I believe my age (57) makes anything I do part of a trend, and I have found, in the last year or so, that I am doing far more stretching/flexibility now than ever before.

Stretching workouts make up 60-70% of what I do. Some of them are more aerobic. Some of them are more deep muscle work. Some of them are more about joint mobility. Some of them are more about working the fascia. All of them, however, are about stretching.

I need to add that these are NON-yoga stretching.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 06:29 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I've never, in my life, been on the front end of a trend. Usually, I'm flailing about in its wake.

That said, I believe my age (57) makes anything I do part of a trend, and I have found, in the last year or so, that I am doing far more stretching/flexibility now than ever before.

Stretching workouts make up 60-70% of what I do. Some of them are more aerobic. Some of them are more deep muscle work. Some of them are more about joint mobility. Some of them are more about working the fascia. All of them, however, are about stretching.

It doesn't even need to be the front end, just something that's been introduced in the past five years or so. Anything VFers do is usually from an early adopters standpoint anyway. I laugh at people doing P90X now when we were all doing it ten years ago!

Donna
Old 09-25-14, 08:12 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

The Huffington Post did an article about 2 weeks ago on the top fitness trends for the coming year. They mentioned HIIT workouts, recovery workouts, and telemetry as being big for 2015.

Here's the article

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 08:17 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
The Huffington Post did an article about 2 weeks ago on the top fitness trends for the coming year. They mentioned HIIT workouts, recovery workouts, and telemetry as being big for 2015.
I will work these in but am specifically interested in anything that is best or only for home, like streaming. Thanks!

Donna H
Old 09-25-14, 08:19 AM  
cherimac

Definitely streaming.
Old 09-25-14, 08:22 AM  
TinierTina

Not just Age, but what you Need Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

These are Western (athletic) stretches ...

Yup, active, power yoga had its day in the sun. I am 60, type 2 diabetic, fairly severe at 1st diagnosis. Self-mortification type stretches (such as in most active yoga) are no longer on my menu. Anything that strains my muscles too much, adds to the undesirable cortisol effect (raising blood sugars) ... anything that works my cardiovascular system and gets me breathing better is preferable (it lowers them)

Also, what seems to be big is low impact cardio dance (all ages all categories), and yoga-dance-pilates fusion workouts that take the work out of "barre" ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 08:23 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was going to say that where I live, Zumba and Crossfit are still huge, and obstacle-course races (Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, many others) are like the new marathon that everyone seems to be aiming for. But I guess those aren't really "home" trends.

You might write about fitness apps and tracker gadgets like Fitbit, Jawbone Up, etc. - those have exploded in the last few years. Apple's just-announced smartwatch has a fitness tracker, and Google and Microsoft are also getting into online health tracking.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 08:24 AM  
hotncmom

What about custom workouts that are recorded for you to do at home, like Hamelin D'abell and Terri Walsh do?

Download and streaming subscriptions are also huge.

And what about Xbox Fitness? DH has started doing these because they track your movements and give you (some) form cues while you're doing the workout.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness trends, terri walsh