Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-21, 05:50 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Your View on Exercise

Has it changed over the years?

Have you noticed it’s not about carving and going heavy to try for a body like the instructor?

Do you exercise for Health now because you have to?

I think a lot of years it has been shown to tell women they weren’t “fit” if their body didn’t fit in a coke bottle.

Do you think a lot of fitness is really about body shaming? Causing more trouble then what fitness is for

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 06:21 PM  
anetta

I love my exercise and can't go a day without it.

Don't want to be around Anita if no exercise

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 07:11 PM  
fanofladyvols

Hi Cheryl!!

My purpose for exercise has definitely morphed away from aesthetic goals.

I do think so much information is out there now about the fallacy of spot reducing and bulking, etc. that maybe people will finally seek exercise for sustainable reasons?

I know the marketing is still so heavily geared towards mirror motives though.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 07:14 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I would say my view has changed to more of an overall fitness focus rather than simply aesthetics (although I won't deny that I like the way I look as a result of so many years of work). I can't say I ever thought I would have a body like a particular instructor, as I could tell by looking at them that it wasn't gonna happen! I don't believe one needs exercise maniacally for hours doing killer cardio, and I now do a more rounded mixture of weight training and cardio. And I don't use a 10 inch step anymore for choreographed workouts!

However, I also don't think the VF participants are "typical" and the marketing for fitness seems IMHO to focus on aesthetics and what the money people think the public will buy. A current example is calling virtually EVERYTHING "HiiT" when it just isn't really HiiT in the original sense. There are also many shorter workouts available, as allegedly people are "too busy" to do longer ones (not that I'm slamming shorter workouts, it just seems there are more options than previously). It seems to go in cycles.

Cheryl, good to "see" you! How have you been?

FOLV, we were posting at the same time!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 07:15 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i've never felt that fitness professionals body shamed but i have limited exposure since i only do dvds from home. i haven't been a member of a gym for 30 years.

the way i exercise over those 30 years have changed as the fitness professional depth of knowledge has changed - i mainly do cathe and KCM dvds and i do John Garey TV for streaming pilates reformer and pilates chair.

i exercise every day and will never stop since it has such a positive effective on my mental and physical health.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 07:19 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Doesn’t the CrossFit experience not use mirrors on their walls.?

Since they were talking about Mindy Milrea, and I’ve been talking to a nutritionist about eating, it has changed my view of exercising. Just wondered if it has changed for anyone else. Or the DVDs.

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-28-21, 07:21 PM  
fanofladyvols

I agree with schoolgirl-01 that the professionals don't body shame. The Instagram and TikTok stars unfortunately do to gain an audience.

Heyyy cataddict

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 07-28-21, 07:24 PM  
fanofladyvols

cheryl I don't think having mirrors, in and of themselves, are the culprit. It's what you use them for that is the issue. Mirrors are fantastic tools to observe form and make adjustments as necessary.

When I say mirror motives, I'm referring to the endless selfies posted.

Old 07-28-21, 07:42 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
cheryl I don't think having mirrors, in and of themselves, are the culprit. It's what you use them for that is the issue. Mirrors are fantastic tools to observe form and make adjustments as necessary.

When I say mirror motives, I'm referring to the endless selfies posted.
I like mirrors to see if my back is straight.
And ya, I’ve seen the “mirror motives”.

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-28-21, 08:04 PM  
sbh

I finally realized that I should not do the kinds of workouts that I did when I was 30. I'm rounding the corner to age 60 and post menopausal. I've been experimenting with just moderate workouts and my body is happier with them. I have less stress and pain, that was what changed my mind. I still look at all those fabulous workouts sitting on my shelf...Ah memories!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity