Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-21, 03:00 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Some of the written plans I have been doing have me doing 3 sets for the first few exercises, usually harder with heavier weight and fewer reps per set, like 3-8 Then several more exercises with 2 sets with 12-20 reps each, more like “burnout” sets with lighter weights since muscles are already tired from the heavier sets.

I don’t know what research shows, but I suspect there isn’t a clear cut answer.
This. I've followed a lot of weight lifting plans that want you to do 2 warm up sets before you go into your 3 to 4working sets. I found I can lift quite bit more that way and it is great for injury prevention as well. Your first few exercises may have 3 working sets with subsequent exercises having 2 sets. That protocol is pretty common.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-21, 05:41 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
For some upper body exercises, if I really go as heavy as I can for 12 reps, by the third set I may only be able to finish 8 or 9.

One reason to sometimes build in more sets is if you primarily use dumbbell exercises, it gets harder to increase weights in small increments. There is a big difference in going from 10 to 15, or 15 to 20, for a shoulder press or bicep curl. And to build muscle, you need to have some type of progression over time. Going from 2 to 3 sets is one way to do that if you aren’t ready to go up in weight. Another way is going up in weight but decreasing reps until you can build them back up again. Thinking about progression is probably a better way to build strength than always sticking to a certain number of reps or sets.
I'm experiencing that right now. I don't have wrist weights or weighted gloves. I do have 7lb dumbells and one 11 lb dumbell, but the rest are the standard amounts. This gets to be a problem as I go heavier, so thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
number of reps, number of sets, reps, sets