Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-21, 12:02 AM  
lizh

I moved using the pods from the east coast to the west coast. I think the company was called "door to door". It was great! I hired movers from "Craig's List" to put the stuff from my house into the pods and then again once the pods arrived to move the stuff out of the pods into the house. We needed about 7 pods so it was pricey but I had heard nightmares about using the big moving companies. Everything arrived in one piece!
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 05:38 AM  
Izzy

My only recommendation is to use this move to get rid of a lot of stuff you no longer need or use. Moving can be a pain and stressful but it’s also a good time to go through your life belongings and find ways to simplify your life and de clutter. I have moved 3x in 7 years and got rid of a lot of stuff in each move.
Old 07-06-21, 07:58 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
My only recommendation is to use this move to get rid of a lot of stuff you no longer need or use. Moving can be a pain and stressful but it’s also a good time to go through your life belongings and find ways to simplify your life and de clutter. I have moved 3x in 7 years and got rid of a lot of stuff in each move.
Yes!!! I have moved several times and I always get rid of unnecessary stuff before moving. Moving is tough enough as it is and having too much stuff makes it harder and more expensive!
Old 07-06-21, 08:06 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
My husband was a driver for a large moving company. He would get frustrated with the salesman, because they would underestimate how much the load weighed. They want to make a sale, so quote a lower price.

I just asked him, and he said it's now illegal for them to hold your household goods hostage for more money. My husband would be paid based on weight. However, if it weighs more than the quote, he did not get paid the difference. Which is not good for the drivers, since they pay more in fuel and labor with more weight. I asked him how they resolve it, and he said the driver has to contest it before he loads the house, and the weight has to be 10% more than the quote. Then the salesman has to come out to the house and let the customer know of the increased price. He also said it depended on if it was "bound" shipment. If it's bound, the price is not increased. If it's not bound, then the price is based on whatever it weighs.

He no longer works for the bigger companies, for various reasons. So he and two partners formed their own small company and contract out for local moves.
Thanks for the response! I thought the laws had changed since our move and that companies can't hold your stuff hostage anymore. After our ordeal I found out that a lot of people went through the same thing as my dh and I did with companies holding items for more money. Not only did we spend more money with the moving company to get our stuff back, but my dh had to go out and buy new work clothes since they were on the moving truck! We did think to put the air mattress and some casual clothes in our cars for the move, but had no idea that his work clothes wouldn't arrive in time to be at his new job.
Old 07-06-21, 10:06 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thanks for the response! I thought the laws had changed since our move and that companies can't hold your stuff hostage anymore. After our ordeal I found out that a lot of people went through the same thing as my dh and I did with companies holding items for more money. Not only did we spend more money with the moving company to get our stuff back, but my dh had to go out and buy new work clothes since they were on the moving truck! We did think to put the air mattress and some casual clothes in our cars for the move, but had no idea that his work clothes wouldn't arrive in time to be at his new job.
That sounds really stressful. I'm sorry they did that to you. My husband has been treated pretty shabbily by different companies, even the big ones. Believe it or not, it's a cut throat business!

Although, I don't mean to scare anyone. There are good drivers and helpers out there, so many moves do go well.
Old 07-06-21, 10:35 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We moved from Maryland to North Carolina 3.5 years ago. We knew it was coming for a long time because DH was retiring from the federal government on his 55th birthday and, with all of his health issues, we were holding on until that date. Since I knew it was coming for so long, I saved big shipping boxes (Amazon, Walmart, etc.) for years. Then, I spent 6 months packing up stuff we wanted to keep and getting rid of stuff we didn't want to move, The movers came and loaded up our stuff and delivered it on the day we designated.

Our Maryland real estate agent got us the moving company and negotiated a good price for us. For those in the DC area, they were Town & Country Movers. They moved us twice and are excellent.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 11:05 AM  
BigBadBetty

I did an across town move in April. I did my research on movers online. The movers were fast and courteous. They are a local company so not helpful for most people. I did not have them pack since I wanted to go through everything before packing. I was moving in to my now husband's house so I had to make decisions on what I wanted to keep. I starting saving boxes months in advance. I also had some of the plastic totes.

Using a pod would have been troublesome for me since I lived in a urban area. I would have had to work with the city to get parking permits for the Pod.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 11:09 AM  
Swissmom

We drove cross country. I followed my husband in the uhaul cargo trailer we rented. We gave away some items. We sold a bunch of items. Priced it low so it would sell faster. We are currently renting and don't plan on buying anytime soon due to the housing market.

I agree with other posters that suggested to start decluttering and selling things now. Don't wait until you are actually ready to move. Books are very heavy and expensive to move, so most people start there. By getting rid of things now, it will be less stressful when you move; and will give you a good idea of what type of moving method you'd need.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 12:24 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I have done major cross-country moves more times than I can count over the years and in all ways, getting rid of everything and packing what was left in just my car, using a U-Pack storage pod, using professional movers, and U-hauling it ourselves (this was just six or so years ago).

I SO agree with decluttering first. Get rid of absolutely anything questionable, and do your research, no matter what route you go. The storage pod route might actually be more expensive than movers if you have tons of stuff. Oh, and it probably saves money to pack your stuff yourself rather than letting the movers do it. You also have to consider the terrain between your current location and the new one, like if there are mountain passes or other hazards you don't want to navigate a truck over yourself, etc.

No matter what route you go, just accept that there will most likely be hiccups and stress.

That being said, looking back, I realize I've always been really fortunate as far as the moves went. The biggest blip I think I ever faced was renting a duplex from another state, sight unseen, and when we got there, we found it was an absolute DUMP, not at all what was represented (this was way before we bought a house). Thankfully we were able to still make the place into a nice home while we were there, and we actually enjoyed it.

Just some things to consider.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 01:47 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions! And the experiences, both good and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Alta, where did you decide to move to?
We're looking at the Reno /Tahoe area.

The housing market is nuts right now. My SIL bought a home in another sate. She didn't want to sell her current home right away, so put it on the market at an inflated price. She had three offers within a few days and ended up selling quickly.

Luckily, the DH was a Teamster and we have a flat bed trailer. We can do some of the moving by ourselves. The new area would only be about 6 hours away.

You are all very right that I need to go through things now. I wish I had more energy!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, relocating, retirement locations