Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-20, 09:13 AM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I like to keep my streaming subscription limited to 2 sites and I almost always commit to the annual membership because most of the time it's a better deal. I usually do my research before I commit and if I'm not sure, I'll only subscribe for one month. My upper limit for monthly subscription is $19/month. If I buy an annual membership it's about $130/year - but most are cheaper. I wait for specials.

Bubbles, I like free youtube workouts but I hate being constantly interrupted by ads that youtube intersperses within the workout itself. Example: latest Gina B's 80's Retro workout. Ads in the beginning, 8 minutes into it - another ad and that's when I just gave up. Youtube is aggressively pushing paid subscription in my area, and I'm just not going to do it. That's why if I like the instructor, I'm willing to pay for subscription so that I can enjoy my workouts ad-free.
I find that I only go to Youtube occasionally. I like to workout in front of my larger screen TV which is pretty old and I have a Roku but half the time when I try to go into youtube or try to start a workout I get a black screen. I have to restart until this clears up and once it does I get annoyed by the ads. One time I was doing blogilates and we worked the first side I was bombarded by ads. I can find no way to skip the ads with my Roku remote so I just got fustrated and switched to a DVD.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 03:40 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I cut out cable three years ago. I used Netflix and Prime for streaming. I got very used to streaming (much to my surprise). I had started using Pahla B ( YT) and have continued since then. I really enjoy her workouts. I contribute to her via Patreon. I also stream many of Jessica’s YT workouts. I do Body by Amy occasionally. There are some short Essentrics on YT too. I like Heather R too. I’ve used YT a lot more than I thought I would. I have things organized so I can access what I like quickly. I haven’t run into many Ads tho. I like Cathe’s Live workouts and bought quite a few and burned to dvd. The only paid subscription that I’ve used is Essentrics. That was just for a few months. I still use dvds, but it’s only once or week or less.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 03:05 AM  
anetta

Demeris,

WOW is walking online workouts, walking workouts that are music only.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 04:13 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post

I like free youtube workouts but I hate being constantly interrupted by ads that youtube intersperses within the workout itself.
I installed an ad blocker on my computer to get around that. I have to disable it to access some sites, which is easy to do.

I wish more instructors offered downloads. I don't need a huge variety and I want to be able to do the workout I crave on any given day, whether the internet works or not; whether I can afford to buy extras that month or not. But I guess that instructors have to pay their bills too and downloads don't secure a steady income.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 07:59 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I installed an ad blocker on my computer to get around that. I have to disable it to access some sites, which is easy to do.
Thanks. I thought about it briefly in the past but I don't want to bother with installing it on my laptop. Besides I use different devices to stream. I'm with you in that I too wish more instructors offered downloads for sale, but streaming appears to be so much more profitable as in constant stream of monthly cash coming in instead of one-time sale, that why would they?
Old 12-08-20, 02:25 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

With my vast collection of DVDs (some are underused or untouched!), I only use YouTube for Jessica Smith's workouts and the occasional DoYogaWithMe practice. I also use Eoin Finn's yoga podcasts pretty frequently (using Player FM website). I haven't found a need to pay for a streaming service because I have so much variety already... And I own it all for good until DVDs become obsolete
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 02:44 PM  
Brenda in WA
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I don’t pay for any streaming. I mostly work out with Jessica Smith and she doesn’t have streaming. If she did, I would sign up for it.
This 100%

She girds herself with strength, and strengthens her arms. Prov. 31:17
Brenda in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 04:05 PM  
hypnomoon

' but I hate being constantly interrupted by ads that youtube intersperses within the workout itself.'

Usia, I use an extension on my laptop called Adblock Plus and it blocks ads on YouTube.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 03:35 PM  
Exercise Diva

I spend a bit on streaming but I also don't belong to a gym. My DH is talking about joining the Y when things get better, and if we do that I will likely cut back my subscriptions. Right now I have PVolve, ETV, Pilatesology, and Yoga Works. I always try to go with yearly subscriptions because they are cheaper in the long run and try to sign up at the time of year they have sales. For example PVolve's Black Friday annual membership was $89, which is half off the regular annual cost. They also allow you to stack memberships (don't know if all do) so this membership won't kick in until next April when my current one expires (which I also got for a really good price).
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 04:12 PM  
sillygirl

I had written down my 2020 fitness goal was to pare down to 1 streaming subscription. Between my now 6 paid subscriptions (thank you barre3!), it's about $40/mth. Most are annual subscriptions with lifetime discounts. I have some really hard decisions to make in 2021 as I really do want to pare down to at most 3.

In comparison, I was paying $159/mth at Club Pilates up until March. I loved the instructors and classes and went everyday so my husband never had an issue with the cost. Unfortunately, I just don't see myself ever going back to in-person classes at this point.

While I have a lot of DVDs already (a lot to use for the first time), I find I'm more motivated and inclined to stream a workout. I like the variety. There are very few DVD workouts that I would want to do over and over again. I see streaming like a gym membership, as long as I use it it's worth the cost. I can't keep/own a streaming workout but if I benefit mentally and physically from using it in the here and now then it's worth it.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, subscriptions