Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-16, 12:55 PM  
Hazel Porter

I agree with those who have said that as you age, it's so much more about what you do outside the gym that determines how you feeling during your workouts. When I'm conscientious about good nutrition, adequate sleep, stress management, and listening to my body from day-to-day, I can continue to do the challenging and intense workouts I love. When I don't, I pay for it.
Old 10-27-16, 02:17 PM  
desie

I don't know if this is an age thing but I have less and less desire to do a workout that causes DOMS, I just want to do therapeutic movements that make me sweat a little, and nothing at all that will cause strain that I have to recover from. I don't know if I'm being lazy and need to push myself more, but at least I'm consistent with daily exercises.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 06:50 AM  
schoolgirl-01

i'm 53 and this was a problem for me. i started using BCAA supplement pre/post workout and it's no longer an issue.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 07:43 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
i'm 53 and this was a problem for me. i started using BCAA supplement pre/post workout and it's no longer an issue.
Can you PM me with more info on this? Always wondered about BCAA's
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 07:08 PM  
rhbrand

Only 46, but I Crossfit, and BCAA really seem to help me out too.
Old 10-29-16, 01:04 PM  
zippity

I'm 54, and do low impact workouts such as Pure Barre classes, low impact metabolic training/tabata, and bodyweight training. I also do hot yoga and hot pilates, which for mee seems to help work out a lot of the muscle soreness. The heat isn't for everyone though, so perhaps instead consider hot baths with Epsom salts.
Old 10-29-16, 01:26 PM  
ncl

I also find recovery takes more time now. I am 47, still perimenopausal and not menopausal yet. I don't do as many strength workouts in a week as I used to as it takes longer to recovery from soreness and I am less likely to push myself to being very sore for this reason...no fun to be very sore most of the time.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 01:30 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

On a positive note, I like being in my 40's so much better than being in my 20's, even if I was a little cuter back then. I was also an idiot. Now (I flatter myself), I am not so much of an idiot... or at least, I'm an idiot a lot less often.
Hilarious! And yes, me too!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 07:23 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

I didn't start exercising until my early 40's (The Firm Vol. 1) & I was probably in the best shape of my life until my late 50's. Yes, it did take longer to recover the older I got. Never did do a lot of high impact. Modify is my middle name. Now at 67, post breast cancer & chemo I don't have the muscle endurance I once had & the achy joints have to be dealt with always. Not quitting!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-16, 05:45 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
It only gets worse. There is a reason that turning 40 is called "Being Over the Hill."
I wouldn't call it over the hill, although 40 was nothing. I'm looking at 65 next year. The alternative is worse!!! You just have to keep on. Not working out will make everything worse. I modify a lot, but I've gone on the Cathe NJ road trips for 7 years in a row, and I don't care if everyone can jump and I can't....I'm moving and having fun.

Tags
aging