Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-16, 03:57 PM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thank you for this post.

you know, even though i live here, i sometimes have to ask people like Katalina what sites are good!!! i've always wanted to paddle board - a co-worker offered to help me with this, but i haven't taken him up on the offer just yet.
My pleasure...
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 05:21 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Waves to bzar! I met her in Oahu and we had a great time while my DH and son went for a 12 mile hard hike at some sort of mountain ridge. They loved that one.

Diamond Head is nice since the view at the top is amazing!

Kaena Point is nice. Look at the holes on the ground and you'll see baby seabirds.

If you like shrimp, have a meal at Giovanni's Shrimp truck! Then have some Hawaiian ice for dessert.

Take a free coffee tour at Lion Coffee. My non-coffee drinker son enjoyed it.

Pearl Harbor National Memorial is also a must-see I think.

DH and I enjoyed Kualoa Ranch. We took the tour that showed us where Jurrassic Park, Lost, etc. were filmed. Close to it is the Tropical Farms Macadamia Nuts store. Go for coffee and free macadamia nuts samples.

Waikiki Beach and the expensive stores close the beach are easy night time fun activities. Just walk and people-watch.

Big Island:
We went to HI mainly for the VNP, so we spent our time there. We were there on her 100th bday! I agree with Jennifer's 2 recommendations below. We hiked to the lava flow and it was worth it! The sign said 8.4 mi, but it was about 9 mi. When you get to the lava flow, head towards the beach side and you'll see lava flowing into the ocean! It was an incredible experience. It is definitely a must-see as there is not anything like it in mainland USA. Plan to be there at night time to see the full effect of the lava flow. Bring binoculars and flashlight (or head lamp) for the way back. If you can rent a bike, I think that is a faster way to do it.

At VNP, Kilauea Iki Crater is a very nice hike. The terrain is just different.

Thurston Lava Tube is another must-see at VNP.

Kilauea Caldera at night! Look up and you'll see the Milky Way as well. My son was just so totally awed.

Mauna Kea - drive to the top.

Green Sand Beach (Papakolea):
http://www.lovebigisland.com/big-isl...hes/papakolea/

Black Sand Beach - sea turtles galore at around noon - 3 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
S
Volcanoes National Park is great for hiking--we also are having an active lava flow right now, so you have a choice of either hiking to see it or (my favorite) taking a boat ride at dusk to see the flow entering the ocean. Unforgettable!

Pololu Valley on the north end of the island is a short but very scenic hike.

Have fun!
Food-wise:
have fresh papaya, pineapples, macadamia nuts, kona coffee, etc. etc.

Have fun!
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 05:36 PM  
cpcathy

Make sure you don't bring a purse to Pearl Harbor. They don't allow purses in the park.

DH and I stayed at the North Shore, and we took walks in each direction each day from our hotel, also saw the WW2 bunker, perhaps there is more than one.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 05:37 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Also Hilo Farmers' Market--big, colorful, cheap and lots of food trucks and stalls.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 05:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Also Hilo Farmers' Market--big, colorful, cheap and lots of food trucks and stalls.
the best Oahu Farmer's Market is on Saturday mornings at Kapiolani Community College (KCC). If you plan to stay in the Waikiki area, KCC is very close with lots of free parking. your hotel might even have a shuttle that can take you there if you don't feel like driving.

oddly enough, Iron Betty (VFer) introduced the KCC Farmer's Market to me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 05:51 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
Make sure you don't bring a purse to Pearl Harbor. They don't allow purses in the park.
i would call or email the Arizona Memorial and ask whether they offer lockers. they've renovated and upgraded the facilities and the lockers might be available - but check first.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 08-28-16, 06:04 PM  
wendy2

I don't really have anything to add, but Oahu holds a special place in my heart because my husband proposed to me there. It was a total, total surprise and one of the best memories of my life

I do remember driving to a small beach and swimming out to a tiny island called Goat Island. It was a fun little adventure (mostly because I don't really swim, so DH had to pull me along on as I clung to a little foam kick board)!

We drove to the North Shore and stopped at lots of little beaches. All of the beaches are public, so we would just stop and walk between houses and come out on the other side to completely empty, white sand heaven. It was amazing.

It was ten years ago, so sorry for the lack of details--but you've gotten tons of great responses (that make me want to go back!)

Have a wonderful trip!
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 09:56 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Nice video of Oahu North Shore
http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/hawai...hore-drone-hi/

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Popping in to say hello to Jeannine (aka bzar)! We met earlier this year when my DH I and spent time in Waikiki. We had a fun visit talking about life, family, and of course fitness videos while walking through Ala Moana park.

Our favorite walk is Diamond Head, the views are amazing! It is a long one, especially if ou start at the far end of Waikiki. We also enjoyed a day trip to Kailua, you can walk for miles on the beach there. Our favorite beach to hang out and relax was the lagoon at Magic Island in Ala Moana Park. Nice sand, calm, and not crowded.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 12:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Popping in to say hello to Jeannine (aka bzar)! We met earlier this year when my DH I and spent time in Waikiki. We had a fun visit talking about life, family, and of course fitness videos while walking through Ala Moana park.

Our favorite walk is Diamond Head, the views are amazing! It is a long one, especially if ou start at the far end of Waikiki. We also enjoyed a day trip to Kailua, you can walk for miles on the beach there. Our favorite beach to hang out and relax was the lagoon at Magic Island in Ala Moana Park. Nice sand, calm, and not crowded.
waves to Miss Pam!

thanks for posting. yes, we had a nice time walking around, and yes, discussing videos too.