Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-16, 01:59 PM  
alisoncooks

Socks to prevent blisters?

Do you walkers/runners wear special socks to prevent blisters? I went for a walk yesterday and had a couple hot spots by the time I got home. I am looking into new shoes, as well, so feel free to recommend shoes as well as socks. (I have a $60 Amazon gift card, so that's my budget. I have a couple of Asics I'm considering, but I'm stumped on socks...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 02:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Do you walkers/runners wear special socks to prevent blisters? I went for a walk yesterday and had a couple hot spots by the time I got home. I am looking into new shoes, as well, so feel free to recommend shoes as well as socks. (I have a $60 Amazon gift card, so that's my budget. I have a couple of Asics I'm considering, but I'm stumped on socks...)
Well..... I recently walked the Avon 39, and obviously did a bunch of training walks leading up to it. One of my walking partners and I wore Feetures socks which are billed as "no blisters". That said, she wound up with a bunch of blisters when we did the actual 39 -- none during training (and we did as much as 15 miles for training walks). I wound up with one small blister at the end of the 39 -- not bad. They are definitely comfy socks.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 02:43 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I love Smartwools.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 02:46 PM  
starbelly

Injinji and ToeSox are great for avoiding blisters. I used to get blisters between my toes on extended hikes, but when I wear either of those brands I have no problems at all. I picked up some Feetures socks this summer, but haven't yet used them on an extended hike. They do have right and left socks so there may be something different about their construction (I noticed a band on the arch) which may make them more comfortable.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 03:08 PM  
Lannette

Don't do long distance now but I used to wear a thin pair of socks under a cushioned pair of socks and ran 3 marathons and a 20 mile run monthly for several years and never once had a blister.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 08-21-16 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Oops changed the word over to under - big difference!
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 03:19 PM  
seww

Feetures!
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 03:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i stopped getting too excited about socks - i just buy the regular stuff from costco.

however, when i buy shoes, i make sure there's plenty of room for socks and a separately purchased insole. and i have wide feet to boot. your feet will also "swell up" during exercise.

this translates to buying men's versions of running shoes, and at least 1 size up.

result is no pain, no bunions, no ill-shaped toes, etc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 04:10 PM  
Sissy B

Along with good shoes, I have to have good socks when I'm walking for fitness or long distances. Right now my favorites are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Runne...ner+sock+women

They do come in different sizes and the color of the seam indicates the size. Luckily my DH, DD & I all wear different sizes so I can keep everyone's separate. We all love them.

I have also found them locally in specialty outdoors stores, places like Alabama Outdoors and Kinnucan's. There may be similar stores in your area that carry them.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-16, 05:08 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I'm going to say that you can't be sure what works for you except through trial and error.

Everybody is going to tell you what works for THEM. It might work for you, and it might not.

Through many years of running I have figured out the secret for me. It is a combo of some of what is mentioned above, and my own personal preferences.

I wear Mizuno Wave Riders (again, these work for ME), and I size up one and a half to two sizes. I wear Thorlo socks only. I've never had a blister, black toenail, bunion or anything like that.

Good luck finding what works for you. It really is important if you plan to do any extended amount of running or walking!
Old 08-21-16, 05:12 PM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I just realized the socks I was wearing are mostly cotton; I think the humidity/heat + the cotton was just too much. I went digging through my sock drawer and found a pair of Balega socks, which are supposed to be good, so I may give those a try before spending $ on new socks.

As far as shoes go, I was wearing Brooks, which have a pretty roomy toe box. But they are getting old...so IDK... My sore spots were under the balls of both feet and then one sore toenail.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote