Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-11, 08:27 AM  
kariev34

p90x

My sister in law wants to get this program but doesn't want a pull up bar. She asked me if bands can be used instead and the program still be effective. I've never owned or done p90x so for those of you that have done it, do you have to have a pull up bar for good results?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:12 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I used bands because I couldn't do pull ups to save my life.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:16 AM  
curious621

Good question- I can't do pullups either. I'm doing Supreme 90 now and am thinking of P90 or P90X for my next rotation. They might be too hard for me- I don't know. Laura
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:18 AM  
difit

I own P90X. I don't have a pull-up bar. The bands work just as well as a pull up bar. As you get stronger you can get a heavier band. In the strengthening workouts theres always someone using the bands instead of the dumbbells or the pull-up bar.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:30 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

I too used a heavy duty band when I did P90X. I got it at a fitness store and they also had a little strap that had a loop that I got for the door. You put the band through the loop and then the strap fits in the top of a closed door. Then I kneeled on the floor and did the simulated pull ups.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:48 AM  
Hanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious621 View Post
Good question- I can't do pullups either. I'm doing Supreme 90 now and am thinking of P90 or P90X for my next rotation. They might be too hard for me- I don't know. Laura
P90x is more intimidating looking than it actually is. I found it to be very basic over all. Its a lot of basic strength work like pushups and pull ups, lunges, etc.

Tony always encourages you to take it at your own pace and to stop if it starts hurting. He also always reminds you this is not a contest and that you arent going for muscle failure. "Do you best, forget the rest" is his mantra throughout the program..

My only beef with P90x was the Yoga-x. It's 90 minutes of the most repetitive yoga I've ever done in my entire life. I had to substitute it for another yoga DVD (Jillian's Yoga Meltdown). I stopped P90x because I decided I wanted to do Turbo Fire first...P90x only has a little bit of cardio (Plyometrics and Kenpo)...
Hanover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 10:06 AM  
laurajhawk

Yes, my DH used the bands for lat pull-downs throughout. He liked that better than pull-ups.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 10:10 AM  
Kyra

Yes, you can use bands. For best results what she WILL need is a way to anchor them over a door or another high, immovable point; if she can do that she will be good to go.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 10:38 AM  
Steve4404

P90X Pullups

I agree that you can get good results with bands but I think you get much better results with a pullup bar. If she can't do pullups, she can use a chair to boost herself up and work towards holding the top position and going down slow (taking 5- 10sec to go all the way down). P90X does so many pullup variations (chinups, wide grip pullups, narrow grip, switch grip, corn cob, towel pullups) that it's hard to get the same variety and challenge with bands. There is something about lifting your own bodyweight that really gets the metabolism going. I went from only being able to do 4 pullups to doing 15 when I finished. I also lost 25 lbs from P90X and it doesn't even have that much cardio (as others have noted). I don't think I would have obtained the same results using bands.
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p90x, pull ups, pull-ups, pullups