Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-01-23, 05:05 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Phew!

Our internet has been spotty today so I almost lost that lengthy Moby post.

Yesterday was STS 2.0 Upper Body 1. I liked it better than you did, horusosiris. I didn’t really mind the options chatter most of the time. I do wish she said how many reps there were be per set and her chosen weight would be on the screen earlier so I could consider what to use, but that was the case with all the workouts so far.

It occurred to me if she could offer 6 options on some of the exercises in this workout, why couldn’t she offer at least 1 for the &^*% deadlifts??? Yes, there are several alternatives to deadlifts for hamstring work in which the band could have been used.

Moby out! Waves and hugs!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 05:37 PM  
manleym

Horusosiris - glad you liked the DVD you burned with the bonuses, warm up, and stretch. Neat that you can do that! You have said everything about STS 2.0 that I have thought.
Agree that she should have a "test group" to give feedback prior to final editing. It would have made this series so much better. Seems like there wasn't alot of thought put into the length, premixes, variety of moves, options for "non-Cathe" set up instructions (ad nauseum). Guess they rushed to get STS 2.0 out since there was such a delay in when she announced it and when we received it. You think with all of that time this could have been better planned and thought out.

Kittybug - UGH on the A/C maintenance! Hubby and I were talking about needing to that soon too. We had it serviced during Covid, and probably need to to it again soon. Caroline is the same as Larie, in the fact that they use minimal equipment with a huge effect. I thought of Caroline as I read your comment. Like everyone else, I don't want to (or have) drag out a bunch of equipment. Oh, and my "glitch" is probably more of a hiccup. So if Cathe says a word maybe a letter is left out. For example, if she says "squat" the "u" is left out and I hear "sqat." So not sure if this qualifies as a glitch or just a hiccup. It did it today when I did LBody 1, but it didn't affect the workout and I didn't miss any reps or throw off the tempo, pace, etc.

KateTT, I remember in college a friend's brother saying, "Chicks with too's are HOT!" I guess there called tats now, but never-the-less - you're HOT! LOL!

ChelePA, I have done a step workout with Michael as Chris's guest. I can't remember which one though. I do remember him talking alot, which was kinda distracting since I wasn't used to her having guests. Yes, Michael lunges are named after him. There are a couple of moves she's named after people. And the Regina bands.

Bee, totally understand where you're coming from. I always feel like I'm behind. I feel like I'm the "day late and dollar short" gal.

Cataddict, love that you have so many cute workout gear and coordinate your shoes! I think Kim does the same. I wear what I found on the clearance rack. HA! The other day I was quite the sight. NOTHING matched - shirt, shorts, shoes. It was a total hodgepodge! LOL!

We're heading out early in the morning for vacay. Our typical Florida (beach this trip!), Charleston, Georgia (can't wait to see my happy place! He's almost 2!!) then back home. I'm taking a workout bag just in case. Figure I can do one of Chris's or something else on YT. I didn't renew Cathe Live since I haven't done one in a while and am focusing on STS 2.0 and Chris Dorner. Thinking of trying Caroline's app after STS 2.0. Easy to resubscribe to Live if I want. Is it bad that when we booked our hotel, I made sure there's a fitness center? HA!

Have to share that I scored on some Saucony Ride's. ChelePA, I have the Freedom's saved in my Amazon "saved for later" (along with lots of other shoes, dvds, etc) and read great reviews about them. Anyway, I bought a pair of Ride 14's for $25 the other day and today the same pair was $20. Told hubby I HAD to buy them at that price! I wear a size 5, which isn't always available, so just couldn't help myself.

Hugs and waves everyone! I'll be reading and posting when I can!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 05:42 PM  
manleym

Today's workout:

STS 2.0 LBody 1 (meh; nothing new/special; least fav so far) + CD Tina Turner Cardio Mashup Workout Low Impact 45 Min Fat Burning (LOTS of FUN! Nice variety of moves - boxing; high impact/”HiiT”; dance/mobility) + Essentrics 14 MIN Psoas, IT & Hips Stretch with Miranda Esmonde-White

STS 2.0 - so far my favorites are the total body workouts. Of course, I'm not that far into it so maybe there will be others that I like. Probably won't do LBody 1 again for my reasons above.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 09:22 AM  
ChelePA

Manleym…have an awesome vacation!!! Michael definitely likes to spin. I was dizzy just watching him. Haha.

Horusosiris and Bee… playoffs went as expected for me last night. Watched some college softball too since that was more exciting.

Cataddict…our summer started early but it’s supposed to cool down in a few days. I’m loving the warm weather. We set up our deck area a little different so I can now do some stepless step or low impact cardio outside if not too hot. It’s shaded until mid afternoon.

Kim…are you in the countdown for Ireland???

Kittybug… I’m sure if you’re lifting as heavy as Cathe, the less cardio makes sense. I wasn’t going to use the series that way, so I would still need my daily cardio. It really helps my mental health as well as mobility. I rarely do anything too intense unless it’s an advanced ride or hiking workout.

Kate…lots of hugs. Wanted to mention that we also taught our daughter sign language when we learned she was going to be born with a cleft lip and palate. It was amazing to see her communicating before talking. We eventually stopped because her speech was clear.

Since I ditched, STS 2.0, I decided to follow the Peloton calendar and plug-in appropriate Cathe workouts. Legs and Glutes Day including Core. I subbed with S&S TB Giant Sets. Started with ab bonus then used lower body premix only. Nice cardio effect on many of the moves. Finished with an 80s rock music cycling class.

Taking my daughter out to dinner before she leaves for a week long service trip in Texas. Helping the migrants. Baby shower this weekend too.

Any weekend plans?
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 10:19 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Friday happy dance. At least trying to be happy as it has been one month since I lost Justin. This is so hard!!!

ChelePA: life is too short to not look for joy everywhere you can. I'm trying.
I didn't learn as much sign language as I wished but Justin was amazing at reading lips. I could whisper and he knew what I was saying.

cataddict: sounds like you have exercise ADD like me. Although I am dedicated to getting through the 8 week rotation. As close as I can.
So call me 'in the dark' but who the heck is The One Who is Not To Be Named? If you say who it is will it turn into a horror story?

manleym: I have several tattoos. I think that's where Justin got it from. His father has several too. It's addicting!
Where is FL are you going? The Emerald Coast is SUPERB!

Today Trisets Total Body. Loved this format too! Yow Cathe makes me work hard. The least fav of the total body workouts but I loved how the trisets really fatigued the muscles.
I stayed with Cathe on almost all exercises except for the last leg work Step Ups. I kept my 5 risers each side and just did them unweighted.
Glad I have heavy kettlebells for the 45lb sumo squats.
Also dropped weights on the tricep chest presses.

I'm going to be feeling this one.

So next week run through them all again. I think I'll use my micro load gloves.
So no word on where to get Cathe's cool leggings?

Happy Friday.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 10:27 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Heeeyyy all!!

Yesterday I was STILL so sore from Larie so I decided to do her upper body companion workout to the lower body one I did, 50-min Barre Inspired Upper Body + Core Bootcamp from 12/22/2020. Even she was talking about how she was so sore from filming the lower body one that we wouldn't be doing any lower body, hah!

Chele, I did find STS 2.0 Giant Sets to have a cardio effect when I did it for sure but still would want to do focused cardio sessions if I were doing an STS rotation as written. Glad you got your workout groove back after deciding to ditch 2.0!

Manleym, have an AWESOME vacation and say hello to Mamma Ocean for me!!

FN2, I'm also laughing and picturing your awesome workout wardrobe and am sure it's also cat-approved. I'm a hodge podge mess on that!!

Kate, I wish I could come over and hug you, I really do.

Today I think I'd planned to do STS 2.0 Total Body Supersets. We'll see. Waves all!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 12:57 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Re: the coordination of clothing and shoes. I have realized that all my life I have exhibited compulsive behaviors—nothing debilitating, but bothersome now that I have finally realized it.

Hope our internet hangs on! It’s been an issue the last several days for whatever reason.

Today is STS 2.0 Lower Body 1. I’m looking at doing the shorter premix that doesn’t have so darn many sets of squats and deadlifts, and I’m going to do a band exercise for the hamstrings instead of deadlifts. I think this could be the first and only time I will do this one—it might have been better not to have the workout sheets in advance so I wouldn’t know how many sets of the same ol’ same ol.’ I feel that I need to do the workout once, since, well, see the first paragraph of this post. I would feel that something wasn’t right if I didn’t try all of the discs.

Yesterday I took a full, real rest day. I’m not sure if I’m coming down with something or if the heavy weight week has made me really tired, but my body said “nope” when I was preparing to do the Dreaded Lower Body 1 workout. I’m still feeling tired today, but not quite so much as yesterday.

Going forward, once I’ve done all the workouts once, I think I will cobble together a “rotation” of one total body STS 2.0, 1 Upper body, and 1 Lower Body with others in between. I think I could combine and shorten the body parts workouts into shorter segments either using the DVDs or burning my own combinations like horusosiris has done.

Kate, The One Who Must Not Be Named is Cathe—kind of an updated version of She Who Must Not Be Named from the forum years ago. I’m glad you are enjoying the system so far—I know you like lifting heavy weights. I do too, I just think that 3 days of heavy total body work is a lot. About Cathe’s leggings—by the time these are released, her leggings are probably not available anymore. IIRC for this system, she put together a “hodge podge” of clothing for herself and the group. I’ve seen Nike, UnderArmour, and Violate the Dress Code clothing, but I think she tends to buy Nike a lot—I recognize some of the designs but, well, I don’t pay $80 for leggings. The manufacturers aren’t paying her anything, so I’m sure she feels no need to give them free advertising—I wouldn’t.

manley, have a fun and safe trip! Wow you have tiny feet and such a great score! The small sizes seem to be hit or miss—sometimes that’s all they have left and sometimes they can’t be found. My sister wore a 5 1/2 and she would complain about the lack of choices.

Chele, so interesting that you taught your daughter sign language anticipating the she might have speech issues. That wasn’t even a consideration back in the Dark Ages when I was born with cleft palate (no cleft lip), I had speech therapy for several years and have no speech impediment so nobody would know unless I told them or they saw the weird roof inside my mouth. I think learning ASL would be such a valuable skill but glad that your daughter’s speech is clear.

Moby out for now….Virtually hugging you all, and in particular Kate.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 06:34 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Hi all!

I did end up doing Supersets today. I have to say though, for some reason, my step was being a pain with setting up the incline, like it just would NOT get stable and I spent ten minutes trying to get it to work, what the heck?

Then I noticed it looked like they had a different kind of riser under their toppers to make things more stable and less slide-y, so I got more annoyed because I don't know what they have but I don't have one! Anywho, despite the lengthy set-up and foibles, I did like this workout and while I wasn't sure how much I was feeling the impact during, I sure do feel it now! With the 8 rep sets, I went heavier than I thought I was capable of and who boy, grip strength really got a workout!

And of course, it looked like a fitness equipment hurricane hit the room by the time I was done.

FN2, I hope you're not coming down with anything and it's just the workouts (and I thought of you through every stinkin' set of deadlifts!!). I know I'm feeling run down right now after the workouts I've stupidly done this week (need to plan better, durn it!!). Glad it's Friday.

Enjoy what's left of your night everyone!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 06:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Behind again! Let's see if I can remember everything I'd like to comment on.

manleym, that is a great score on the shoes!! And yes, tiny feet! Have a great trip and enjoy your nephew -- such a cute age.

Kate, I love the tattoo! Nice that it won't effect your workouts -- I wasn't sure if the muscles underneath would be sore. I have heard tattoos are very addicting.

cattaddict, your "one who must not be named" paragraph was so funny! It is odd that she never (that I can think of) gives alternatives for deadlifts. I'm disliking all of the side lunges -- something about my injury makes those feel dicey to me, though going at the slower pace helps a lot. Sorry you are having internet issues! Over the last week or so we have had a couple of days where ours goes out for a minute at random times during the day. So annoying, but at least it kept coming back.

Chele, it's such a win-win that you were able to view/try the workouts, decide they weren't for you, and then still sell them so you break even, making someone on the other end very happy, too. I understand why you made that decision. It did sound like these would be more like a full system Perfect 30, but they are not. Funny enough, I wanted shorter length workouts too and so far I've done the full length of all the ones I've done and enjoyed them without feeling like they were too long for me. Maybe because of the breaks, but I know sometimes I'm going to be pressed for time and need to use the express premixes, and I'm not sure they are going to be all that -- we'll see. Oh, and yes, my son plays hockey, but it's roller hockey, and I know some think that's not really hockey. Both of my boys grew up playing on travel teams, and it was (for the most part) a great experience.

So far I have done four of the workouts, and really enjoyed them, though as others have mentioned, Lower #1 was fairly meh. I think I will stick with an upper/lower + one or maybe two total body for the week. That's what I did this week, but many weeks I will only have the three days for morning workouts. I will try to add in some cardio a couple of times a week in the evenings. I can't imagine doing the three total body workouts in one week -- I agree that that would be too much, but somehow the four days I did this week felt pretty good. This morning I did Trisets even though I probably should have done Supersets. Because I read about Trisets last night, I watched the preview and sort of forgot all about Supersets. When I opened the case this morning I realized my mistake but wanted to dive into Trisets in case I got paranoid about it being too long. I did not find it feeling like it went on and on, but I will say that after that first set of legs I kept waiting for her to put some more legs in there.... I just knew she would (I had forgotten the preview), and I was dreading it. I went really heavy and it really fried my legs. But since she waited til the end and also had exercises that sort of naturally called for slightly lighter weights, it wasn't bad. I was grateful to not revisit any upper body parts!! I'm really enjoying the heavy lifting, slower pace, and some built-in rests. I actually did a fair bit of stretching on those extended breaks in Trisets.

Ok, that's probably boring, boring.... even for people enjoying the workouts!

Oh, Chele, I meant to tell you.... I downloaded the free Peloton app and I'm really excited to use it sometime. I spent a bunch of time during the basketball game looking at the workouts there. That game was a snooze last night -- we did not even finish watching it.
Old 06-03-23, 07:16 AM  
ChelePA

Cataddict…how are you feeling today? Sounds like those total body workouts really lift heavy so I could see how they could wipe you out. We finished Ted Lasso. Won’t drop any spoilers for those who are still waiting to watch.

Kittybug… glad to hear you are liking the new series. Because I know you had your doubts like me.

Horusosiris…are you watching the finals since your teams are out? I hope the games are better in this series versus that first one.

Bee… I’ll be curious to hear what you think about the Peloton workouts. I don’t even know what classes they are offering for free. Some instructors I clicked with immediately and others grew on me with time. Also each has his/her own style and unique personality. There was definitely an adjustment-especially since I basically only did Cathe for so many years. Besides YMCA classes when I belonged to the gym.

Roller hockey sounds fun!!!! Glad they found something they enjoy. My daughter doesn’t seem to miss softball. But we do

Kate… I always find your attitude amazing even in the most difficult times. I know how difficult yesterday was for you. There were many times I had to take it hour by hour. Especially when everyone else’s lives returned to normal, and I wanted the world to stop. Please continue to use this group as a means of support. We are here for you

I’ve been up since 3 AM. Dropped my daughter off for her service trip.
Unfortunately, I am one of those people who can’t usually fall back to sleep quickly. And I hate naps! So, after doing some light cleaning, I decided to get my workout done early. Started with STS 2.0 Standing Core and Floor Workout. It was a nice warm up for upper body day. Liked the different moves in this one. Nothing too crazy but if you’re activating the right muscles, you will really feel it. Also need to use a heavier weight next time now that I know the routine. S&S TB Giant Sets Upper Body Premix as strength substitute for Peloton calendar. Finished with STS 2.0 upper body foam rolling. There should be a little asterisk next to the title telling you that there are a few light foam rolling moves but the majority is utilizing it as an assist for mobility/stretching. I would definitely use it again but IMO you aren’t going to get the benefits of foam rolling out of this one. Finished with an At the Club treadmill class-moderate hike/power walk.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in