Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-18, 11:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you progress to the max of your 50# barbell, you will need a rack or a human spotter.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 12:41 AM  
Fitstick

You could also try some oldies but goodies- Cathe’s Pure Strength Series or Gym Styles. In my opinion, Cathe is the best at making strength training dvds. I tried CLX and didn’t like it, too many weird compound moves.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 09:15 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
You could also try some oldies but goodies- Cathe’s Pure Strength Series or Gym Styles. In my opinion, Cathe is the best at making strength training dvds. I tried CLX and didn’t like it, too many weird compound moves.
Pure Strength is a really good one. I have thought about picking this one up again myself but have moved away from 3 day splits. When it comes to good form and technique Cathe is one of the best, if not the best.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 09:24 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Kelly's Muscle Up has helped me to be stronger.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-18, 10:11 AM  
wendug

I did a 90 day rotation of CLX and it helped my strength tremendously!!! Chalene might not be for everyone, but I find her very motivating and I liked the compound moves in her workouts. I would love to do another rotation of CLX, but I need to get heavier dumbbells!
Old 11-25-18, 01:53 PM  
Sharaz

DVDs
Body Beast
STS
Slo-Mo
Slow and Heavy
Gym Styles

Slo-Mo and Slow and Heavy can be done one body part per day. Advance may double up each body part daily.

Total Body Workouts good as a starting point:

Pyramid Combo
STS Total Body
Maximum Intensity Strength

BTW I will be switching to strength focus at the beginning of 2019. I’m seriously considering STS The only I have not done yet.
Old 11-25-18, 02:18 PM  
Tugger31

I think the strength dvd's from Cathe's Ripped With HiiT series are excellent not only from a strength/exercise standpoint but also from a time standpoint. I also like Gym Styles but tend to do only the Timesaver premixes as these tend to drag on a little for my liking. STS is also good but a big time commitment. If you've been doing some strength training already I think you could just purchase Mesocycle 2 and 3 only. I also never did the one rep max's before doing STS. I just used a challenging weight and increased it as I went along.

I have Body Beast and it's good, but Sagi gets on my nerves.

I'm not sure CLX is still available (probably can find on ebay though)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
strength