Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-18, 08:45 AM  
Demeris

I wonder if Phil Maffetone's method would work to mitigate age-related cardio issues.

I know a number of people already know his work (a post Jeannine made eons ago sent me over to his site), but he believes in building an aerobic base with a sub-optimal heart rate as a way of improving athletic performance.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 09:01 AM  
Terry

I read somewhere that aging slows runners by slowing the heart muscle's relaxation phase.

I've noticed a decline in my running over about the past year. I decided that at least some of it was due to insufficient training volume so I started spending more time doing cardio at the beginning of October. I have already noticed improvement, but I doubt this 58-year-old body will perform the way it did when it under 30.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 09:03 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I wonder if Phil Maffetone's method would work to mitigate age-related cardio issues.

I know a number of people already know his work (a post Jeannine made eons ago sent me over to his site), but he believes in building an aerobic base with a sub-optimal heart rate as a way of improving athletic performance.
I've considered experimenting with this to see what happens for me. If anybody else wants to do a group check-in for such an experiment, I will join.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 09:34 AM  
Janine

I always worked out with my step at 8" too and then after a period of time not doing much cardio I tried step and found it hard to finish a workout so had to lower it to 6".
Like you, Donna I'm hoping to go back to 8" eventually but who knows, I may just have to accept the fact that I can't.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 09:46 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

According to "Which Came First: Cardio or Weights" it's perfectly normal for endurance to decline with age, more than speed. I've certainly noticed this and I've had to shorten and slow down cardio workouts.

The book says your VO2max, the maximum rate of oxygen that can be delivered to working muscles, falls by 9% per decade. It also takes longer for your body to adjust its oxygen use, so a longer warmup might help. I know I need longer warmups now.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 09:59 AM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKWriter View Post
I mean it's not like it happened overnight; it's probably been over time. I think that the problem is I keep trying to do the same workouts I always did and over time, I've come to realize that I just can't keep up. So to answer question 1, it's mostly an intensity thing. And no, no other symptoms.
I was on and off (mostly off) with workouts due to my scoliosis and other physical issues. I noticed a drop in cardio capacity when I came back to working out. I have just discovered step workouts (never did them back in the day). I was floored. I was totally surprised at how much cardio capacity I had lost. However, even at 64, I am noticing consistent improvement. I do not use the risers, but hope to get to a point where I may decide I want to. What kind of workouts have you been doing for cardio? I felt somewhat deflated when I started back up with exercise and realized how much I had lost...even in the weight training department. I always preferred weights to cardio. I am doing both and this time I am focusing on the cardio a bit more to feel better about it. As I remain consistent, I am noticing a gradual improvement. (Not as quick as would happen when I was younger) All the best to you.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 11:24 AM  
Fitstick

I just don’t have the desire to kill myself doing the super high intensity workouts. I still want to challenge myself but I don’t feel bad about modifying or just using the platform to get a no dread workout. I think it’s important to listen to your body. I also have felt the need to do more yoga or stretch workouts as I’ve gotten older. I wouldn’t equate it to defeat, you are stilling pressing play and that’s what matters most.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 01:23 PM  
Hazel Porter

A quick Google search found lots of articles confirming that VO2 max (aerobic capacity) does decrease with age, about 10% a decade after age 30 in the general population, but trained individuals can reduce the loss significantly.

https://cathe.com/why-does-aerobic-c...wn-as-you-age/
Old 11-08-18, 04:20 PM  
warriorprincess

I've always found cardio hard. Once I started following Sisson's Primal Endurance formula, which I think is based on Maffetone, on keeping you HR around 180 - your age, I've started enjoying cardio more, and doing it more often. All those years that I hated cardio, it turns out it was the 'black hole' cardio of hard effort for an extended period of time that I dreaded.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-18, 09:32 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

DKH, thanks for clarifying, I read "I've really begun to notice this" as indicating a more sudden onset. My mistake, sorry!

I don't think it's "admitting defeat" to remove risers. . . the goal is to be in the HR zone you want to be in, and whatever it takes to get there is good!

In fact, I would even say that removing risers is a VICTORY (sorry, but I'm the queen of reframing and I cannot help myself ) because it indicates that you are determined to continue to be active and healthy throughout your lifetime. Some people just quit working out as they get older and it gets harder. But heck, you're just tossing a couple of risers. No big deal! Even Cathe has ditched a couple risers over the years.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, cardio