Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-18, 08:35 AM  
ellaenchanted

For me, focusing on bodyweight exercises (push ups, plank variations, lunge/squat variations, and some plyometrics) combined with moderate cardio increases stength while still allowing me to keep hunger in check.

I am a broken record but I find that the free workouts from Pahla Bowers on Youtube combined with some Tone It Up (you can just do their free stuff) works great. For the extra moderate cardio I just keep it simple with a jog or walk while listening to podcasts, audiobooks, or music.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 09:43 AM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
I’m a big fan of resistance bands and the loops are even better.. they cut you fast fast fast especially if you are doing good solid cardio after or before, I have had better results than w weights. Kickboxing has always improved strength and fat loss also tonique is great if your looking to really tone quick. Then bands really make my muscles pop while taking away the fluff. I always get the big broad look w heavyweights but the strength I get from bands is even better for some reason and I feel more “open” not so contracted while smaller in size overall.
Julia, can you tell me what kind of bands you use and if you use videos or book workouts. I'm in PT right now with a shoulder injury (labral tear possibly) and my therapist is really pushing me to start working out with weights again - have been focusing on softer workouts recently. A lot of the work she is having me do involves cable work and some dumbbell work - I really don't wan to join a gym right now, so maybe an investment in resistance bands would be a good start. Thanks.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-18, 02:16 PM  
Tugger31

lreid, I honestly don't know the answer to the RWH/Cathe streaming as I only do dvds, but I'm sure some Cathletes will chime in. She does have online users guides that list the exercises that might be helpful too.

http://cathe.com/Ripped-with-HiiT-Users-Guide.pdf (hoping that works)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 08:02 AM  
jldx2in2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I also purchased Revamp but haven't even looked at it honestly. I don't have Unapologetically powerful-is that Nia or Jen Sinkler?
Anyway I have the following Nia Shanks Programs:
1) the original Beautiful Badass
2) BBA-Six phase system
3) Lift like a Girl 6 week system

ETA: Now that I look I don't have Revamp-maybe I didn't download it or I put in in the wrong directory on my computer. I have to check my emails and my computer.
Anyway, Rooha I think her programs are fairly minimalist. Each workout takes about 45 minutes but it depends. I have one that she posted for free on her blog years ago that I really like and had good results strength wise.
PM me and I can send it to you.
Unapologetically Powerful is by Jennifer Vogelgesang Blake (JVB) and Jen Sinkler. I think you can find it through Jen Sinkler's site. It has a beginner and intermediate option and is really meant for getting you ready for powerlifting competitions but I don't do those. I just like lifting heavy.
jldx2in2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 09:05 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I think RWH is Cathe's toughest set. There is impact, but can be modified. There are just weight only workouts that have no impact. Cathe said that she used the idea behind this set when she felt she was losing definition (not sure from diet, age or what the underlying reason). I wasn't in the best of shaped and tried one month of RWH and I was worn out! I now do RWH mixed with other series. One thing I do like about this series is the workouts are relatively short. I think Cathe looks great in this series.
There is a lot of high impact in this series and I agree that it is Cathe’s toughest set. I never knew Cathe’s reasoning behind it, that’s interesting.

I started doing it again when I got back from a business trip in early September. After spending most of the year doing Yoga, Pilates, walking and biking (and partaking in too many adult beverages at the beach this summer ) every time I got in the mirrored elevator at the hotel I couldn’t bear to look at my arms. They were looking every bit their 55 years. That’s when I decided I needed to get serious about weight lifting and HIIT again. I’m not going to lie, it’s been tough. At first I was discouraged—Cathe lifts so heavy in these and the HIIT is so challenging—and I lost a lot of strength in the past few years while nursing a rotator cuff tear. But I just keep pressing play and telling myself daily you have to start somewhere. I’m doing the two month rotation from the guide. I plan to do it until my next business trip which is right after Thanksgiving.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 09:56 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldx2in2000 View Post
Unapologetically Powerful is by Jennifer Vogelgesang Blake (JVB) and Jen Sinkler. I think you can find it through Jen Sinkler's site. It has a beginner and intermediate option and is really meant for getting you ready for powerlifting competitions but I don't do those. I just like lifting heavy.
I actually have JVBs Bedrock Strength program. I was going through my fitness programs on my computer yesterday and found it. I have so many paper programs that I forget about.

Turns out I had never downloaded Nia’s REVAMP program because I purchased it the day I was leaving for vacation. So I downloaded it last night and reviewed it. I don’t think I am quite ready for it though. I am going to move on to Phase 3 of her 6 phase program. I had started the 6 Phase a few years ago then broke my finger at the end of Phase 2 and couldn’t lift for several months. When I restarted I did my own thing then moved on to something else. I have one more phase 2 workout then will move on.
Phase 3 is an upper/lower body split. I only started adding these in with her programs. I like them because if I have 2 days in a row with time to lift I can and still get adequate rest. I always did total body workouts before. Just goes to show it’s a good thing to try new things.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 09:59 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
lreid, I honestly don't know the answer to the RWH/Cathe streaming as I only do dvds, but I'm sure some Cathletes will chime in. She does have online users guides that list the exercises that might be helpful too.

http://cathe.com/Ripped-with-HiiT-Users-Guide.pdf (hoping that works)
Does anyone have more info about Cathe on demand? Thanks Tugger for the link. I skimmed it last night but need to take another look.
Old 10-04-18, 10:27 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I'm going to be perhaps the lone dissenter, but for me as a naturally muscular person STS was not the answer AT ALL. It made me hungry as all get out and larger (dare I say "bulkier.")
This is how I felt about CLX several years ago - objectively I must have gotten stronger because I could lift really heavy in that program, but it made me incredibly hungry and I think my word of choice would be "puffy", and unlike what was promised, I never leaned out during the final Lean phase of that program. I was just puffy and didn't feel or look very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
For me, focusing on bodyweight exercises (push ups, plank variations, lunge/squat variations, and some plyometrics) combined with moderate cardio increases stength while still allowing me to keep hunger in check.
I have felt the strongest at times while doing Firm classics workouts with moderate-heavy weights, JNL Fusion, and Supreme 90. However, in the past few years, the best combination for me is like ellaenchanted noted, bodyweight exercises and moderate cardio keep my hunger in check, which in turn has helped me be leaner. For me, bodyweight also includes barre work, which has given me incredible muscle tone. That's more an aesthetic observation, but I feel strong. I don't really lift heavy weights anymore though, to be able to gauge.
Old 10-04-18, 02:16 PM  
TracyQ

Ireidgreen—I don’t have Cathe OnDemand but see below I cut and pasted from her website.

“You can watch Cathe OnDemand videos on your computer or almost any mobile device. And best of all when you subscribe to Cathe OnDemand not only do you get unlimited access to all 300+ workouts (the same workouts you get on our DVDs), you also get access to the Workout Blender, Cathe Live, bonus videos, and receive unlimited access to any new video production we make, including our newest releases for no additional charge.”

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-18, 03:22 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks Tracy!
I will check it out.
Leslie

Tags
strength, strength gains, strength training, weight loss