Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-13, 03:39 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Mine is usually...

Sun - rest
M W F - Stregnth
T T S - cardio

My goal is 20- 30 minutes minimum each workout day. I usually have a plan for strength but for cardio just do what I feel like doing that day. I go back & forth between cardio equipment at the gym & dvds.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 03:58 PM  
SandyT

Monday - Interval
Tuesday - Barre
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Yoga or Mat
Friday - Toning/weights
Saturday - 4 mile walk with dh
Sunday - rest
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 07:45 PM  
bjones

Monday-kickboxing and med ball or stability ball core work
Tuesday-upper body weights
Wednesday-HIIT plus Pilates
Thursday-clean house and volunteer at animal shelter!
Friday-Step plus traditional core work
saturday-Lower body weights
Sunday-foam roll, deep stretching relaxing yoga

this has been an excellent cross training rotation for me. I also walk about 30 minutes most days and do light swimming 3 days a week.
Beth
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 07:57 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I'm currently working toward hitting a goal number of types of workouts each week:

Running - 3 days (Wed, Fri, Sun mornings)
Yoga - 2 days (usually Mon evening + another evening)
ZWow - 2 days (usually Tuesday evening + another evening)

Saturday tends to be the day off, though sometimes it's Tuesday if I'm feeling tired.

For a long time I was on a roll of getting up early and doing everything in the morning, but the past few weeks it has been really hard to get up except to run. The ZWows are so darn short, it's not hard to get them out of the way before I have to tackle dinner, and doing a recent 30 day Blissology rotation convinced me of how much better life is when I fit yoga in regularly in some way.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 08:13 PM  
wendy2

Right now I happen to be following Cathe's August rotation, but I don't generally follow a specific rotation.

I try to workout 5-7 days a week, with a combination of harder and easier days. I count a stretch and/or core day as a workout day, whereas some would call that a rest day. My workouts tend to be 30-60 minutes and I do them early in the morning.

I generally try to do some strength training 2-3 times per week. This might be 2 or 3 total body workouts, or 3 circuits, or 1 total body and 2 circuits, etc.... There are also phases where I do one body part per day, or 3-4 day splits.

At least one of my lower body workouts is usually floor work or barre-type stuff (but Cathe barre, not 'real' barre ).

I work my core 3 times a week, sometimes as part of another workout, or sometimes I do a pure core workout.

I try to do cardio 3 times per week, but if I'm going heavy on the circuits, I might actually get 5-7 cardio sessions in per week. My cardio is generally step, kickbox, or hi-lo. I usually do my step workouts with no step.

I use Cathe, KCM, Christi, Seasun and a spattering of Tracie Long and Amy Bento.

I try to set up my informal, generic rotation on Sunday nights, and then fill in whichever specific workouts fit the generic label as I go. For instance, as week might look like this:

M: upper body and core
T: cardio
W: lower body and core
Th: cardio
F: core and stretch
S: circuit
S: rest or stretch

...and each morning I chose a workout from the category of the day.

Another generic rotation I might do:

M: kickbox cardio + core
T: cardio + stretch
W: lower body floorwork
Th: upper body + core
F: cardio
S: rest or stretch
S: total body + core
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 08:15 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

cardio
strength
cardio
strength
cardio
strength
rest

repeat.

I do stretches after both cardio and strength, so I'm getting decent amounts of flexibility in there; I rarely do flexibility stuff on its own. If I miss a day, I just do the next scheduled thing, like this:

cardio
strength
(oops, missed a day)
cardio
strength
cardio
rest
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 09:02 PM  
Harantwanders

I WAS doing just Fitbit steps, 12,000-18,000 daily, plus two strength sessions, and occasional yoga, pilates or callanetics, but an illness wiped me out.

So now I have cut the Fitbit goal back to the basic 10,000 and cut out strength altogether for a week or so.

I don't do fitness DVDs anymore at all. Sad but true.
Old 08-11-13, 10:54 PM  
wellnesswife

I normally workout 6 days a wk & have recently been doing what I feel like based on this loose rotation: I try to walk in am but also have 2 other ladies I do evening walks with.
M- Total Body Workout & 5 mile walk
T- Tennis/or walking
W- Upper body strength & walk
Th- Lower body strength
F- Rest
S- Longer workout...full hour, total body or barre something different or more challenging bc I have more time & 5 mi am walk
S- Tennis & Yoga
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 01:13 AM  
bex

I'm in the 'do what I feel like' camp because my life is almost completely without structure.

That being said, I follow basic common-sense guidelines:
- Don't do the same type of workout back to back
- No more than 2 HIIT workouts/week. Mix in steady-state cardio (usually step) or circuits with light weights (SS).
- Try to get in a swim once a week. For me, swimming serves the same function as yoga does for others - it's gentle cardio, toning and stretching all in one.
- Try new workouts that bring something my old favorites don't. For me right now that's TA, more complex choreography and anything with balance work. Do a new workout 3x before I decide whether I like it or not.
-LISTEN to my body.

I usually work out for an hour in the break between work and dinner, and I aim for 6 days/week. Many weeks it's 5, rarely it's 7. I don't even have a designated rest day, it happens when it happens.

I sometimes wonder a rotation would be more effective but hey, I'm consistent, and I'm getting results. This is a long game.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 06:42 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I work out 6 days a week and take one rest day. My rest day is usually a total rest unless I stretch a little. I am finishing up a rotation based on Look Great in 8. With that, I've done two strength workouts a week (with a different strength focus each week) and three cardio workouts, one of which is an interval workout, and one day that I give myself to do whatever I want.

Historically, I usually have just alternated cardio and strength workouts through my six days, but I'm trying some new things this year.
Laura - how is this new structure working for you? Any results? I've always adopted your previous style and I've been tinkering with changing it up due to some weight gain.

Thanks

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, rotations, strength