Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-23, 10:16 AM  
Leonana

Yesterday was Build 2. This moves slow but wasn’t easy by any means. She had a balance move of single leg squats that was the most difficult balance move I’ve ever done. She did have modifications using the chair. She also had a plank done very low to the floor that I struggled with. This one was mostly band, but you can sub dumbbells or use body weight. I agree with the post on GD, this has a lot of isolation work. I didn’t know what that was but I know now lol.

I think the AAP has about six extra workouts other than Build. Build is almost 11 hours of workouts. So there seems to be quite a bit of exclusive content. She is also adding ten minute movement snacks. I wondered where she came up with the name, and it seems there was a recent study that called it movement snacks. Doing short workouts three times a day has significant benefits. It seems Jessica is following the latest research, which I like.

Pam, thanks for the heads up. I’m not doing dvds anymore, but would prefer streaming. I know Cathe’s workouts are good, maybe one day I’ll try her streaming. I know she was a real pioneer for these type of workouts back in the day, and I admire that.

Regarding the AAP, I recommend using Jessica’s website. It has the filters which I like. You can make it into an app on safari.

Donna, welcome to the dark side ha ha. I like that Build is also in one spot, with each workout in order for the rotation. Like a you tube playlist. So much easier to access than using a schedule and searching for a workout.

wishiwasinhawaii, Jessica only allows downloads to be used offline. You always have to go through Purple Player. You can’t save the downloads to a storage device. I guess they do that to prevent theft. I guess nothing is permanent with technology. Other than paper workouts in a book!
Old 06-01-23, 02:33 PM  
Leonana

Today was Cardio M.I.S.S, or moderate intensity steady state. I liked it. Similar to her other walks, I think. Although, she started and ended with a little mobility work, so that was new. No high impact in this one. I had some DOMS from yesterday, the cardio seemed to work some soreness out.

Well, it’s off to the grocery store again. We seem to run out of something every day. I’ve enjoyed this week off, I can tell I needed a break.
Old 06-02-23, 06:11 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I ended up doing Day 24 in the evening yesterday because it was such a hot day. Today is going to be even worse, but it will cool down after this, thank goodness. Pickleball yesterday went well, even though it was hot already at that early hour. This morning I did Day 25 Improved Health, so the next two days will be rest days and then I will do the 5 day program Jules has for after the 25 day program, rest two days, and then I plan to start Build. Pickleball class will be over by then so I think that will be a good time to start something a little more challenging. I only have two more pickleball classes to go and I have to miss next week because I have to go somewhere, so there's really only one more class for me. They have a summer session but I'd be missing at least one class, possibly two, so I'm not going to sign up and will do the fall class instead.

I see Mary is having an inventory reduction sale on DVDs, so I'm going to check that out and see what's there. I wonder if she is going to stop selling DVDs entirely.

Donna, Congrats on caving, LOL!! I think AAP will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sherry, Ah, I forgot about the Purple Player. I've never used it, but it does seem like Jessica does it that way to prevent theft and sharing. I didn't notice the movement snacks so I'll have to check that out and I'm also glad to hear there is a lot of exclusive content. I'm sure she'll add more to it as time goes on, so it'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

Pam, I found the VFer on Roost who is selling the Cathe set, so I'll send her a PM and see if it's still available. How was your hike yesterday? I couldn't believe how hot it was at 9:30am when my pickleball class started. I'm really dreading today's heat, but at least it'll be much cooler after this.
Old 06-02-23, 08:04 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got a dog walk in - but nothing else additional. I am getting lazy!!

Today, so far:

Ellen - Five Star Fusion. Not much to say about it other than I enjoyed it as I do with most of Ellen's workouts!

wishiwasinhawaii - pickleball does sound like fun. I may have to check it out at some point. I think I'm going to go back and do Improved Health's 25 day series from the beginning and work through that for a bit. It is funny, I didn't notice it being too hot yesterday here - maybe you guys are warmer than us for a change? today it is supposed to be 90 though....

Sherry - nice work on Build! The grocery store....not my favorite.

Pam - how hot it is it by you? I'm curious b/c I haven't felt that we are particularly hot yet for this time of year here!

Hope everyone has a good Friday!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 12:49 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

STS 2.0 Tri Sets Total Body-Day 5

Hi Ladies,

I did my 3rd total body for the week, and added Cathe's Total Body Stretch afterwards. It felt wonderful after my hard work of heavy lifting. I know doing this the first time I tried it, I was like "it's okay." I loved it today, hahaha. I also added Cathe's Stretch Max from her Hardcore series. This is a good one, as she has three different workouts on the DVD and all really great! One uses a stability ball, another latex band, and one with no-equipment. Today I opted for the stretch band one and my arms, chest, shoulders were really feeling worked today from Tri-Sets. My assessment after doing all three Total Body Strength workouts, is that I like them all...and very much so! I have three weeks of using these three (Giant Sets, Super Sets and Tri-Sets) before moving on to other weight work in the STS series. So good!!!

Donna, it has been hot. I wish I'd looked at the temp yesterday but it was in the 80's and today mid-80s again. Usually Providence can be a little cooler because we're close to the water than someone in other parts of RI, more inland. Not Phoenix/Arizona hot, but we get the humidity here that AZ doesn't get. Still, I'll take New England weather over AZ or MN.

wishiwasinhawaii, hike was good yesterday but one gal has some difficultly and had to stop to rest multiple times. She hadn't hiked in a long while, had gained some weight over that time and also had some health issues. I waited with her and her face was flushed. I might have had to call 911, if someone else hadn't driven their car in to meet her and so she could shorten the hike a bit more. Scary. We were almost to the end, but the steep climbs had gotten to her, too!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 06:07 PM  
Leonana

Today was Build Total Body 3. This is a new favorite. She really delved into how to do a single leg squat. I would have loved to have that instruction when I first started, but better late than never. She used the small band for leg work, so that was different. She didn't have you pulse, but hold the leg in the position.

I think Total Body 2 was not a beginner workout. I liked it, but Jessica's beginner workouts are not the same as IH or SS, but more advanced. So far I'm enjoying the rotation. There is a new workout almost every day of the four weeks, so I'm not getting bored.

I had a checkup on my implant posts and everything looks good. I go back at the end of July to check on them, and if they are healed enough, get molds for my crowns. Soon I'll have teeth! In the afternoon, I had my yearly heart ultrasound. I get this because of my white coat syndrome, hopefully everything will be fine as it is every year. But I'm getting older, so I'm preparing for change at some point. I'm on bp medication, so hopefully it's keeping my heart healthy.

Tomorrow I'm going up north to visit my brother and sister in law. It will be in the 80's, so cooler. We were only 93 today, which is cool for this time of year. Next week is in the 90's too. I keep hoping the hot weather will make all these people who recently moved here go back, but so far it isn't cooperating with me, lol. Our house prices are so high now, and I want people to move out so the prices will go down! I always naively thought our hot weather would keep our prices down, but I guess not. I sometimes worry about dd and younger people. They have to room together to afford rent, and buying a house is beyond their means.

We have a meeting next Tuesday for summer session, they will give us our schedules, etc.

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm glad cooler weather is coming for you.

Donna, I had to go to the grocery store again today, lol. I did get some new bands from Target, since my band broke last workout.

Pam, that was scary about the hiker. I'm glad she was okay. I've decided to put off hiking until the winter, although I have more time off in the summer. Maybe on fall and winter break.
Old 06-03-23, 09:06 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today is a rest day and I haven't done much of anything yet. I was out late last night because I went to a minor league baseball game and there was a rain delay, so I got home around midnight, went to bed late, and am not feeling energetic today. I probably won't do a workout today and will just do housework and laundry because I have fallen behind on both. It's a lot cooler today and it's cloudy so it's a good day to stay in anyway. My niece has her prom tonight so I hope the sun comes out later.

Donna, We had two hot days: Thursday it was in the low 90s and yesterday it was 95. We had thunderstorms last night that cooled everything off and now it's only in the 60s! I think you should give pickleball a try. Let us know what you think of Improved Health's full 25 day program!

Sherry, Glad to hear your dental checkup went well! I've only been to AZ once and that was in the winter so I've never experienced the summer there, but I need at least some humidity in my life, LOL. I guess I'm just used to it. It feels very humid today and it looks like it wants to rain but there is none in the forecast. Enjoy your visit with your brother and SIL!

Pam, Wow, that's scary about the hiker. It sounds like she wasn't in shape for a hike in hot weather. I went to the mall yesterday and walked 3 miles in air conditioned comfort, Lol. I can't walk outside for exercise once it gets above 85 or so. I just start to feel dehydrated, but at least the malls are great options, as long as I don't cave to the temptation to buy stuff!
Old 06-03-23, 01:58 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning's workouts:

Improved Health - Interval Training Program Series # 2 - Workout 1 - this one had 6 intervals - 1 minute higher intensity (Jules jogged, but I used my step for lower impact), 1 minute recovery. The Series # 1 program had 1 min higher intensity, 2 minute recovery. Prior to the intervals we did about 10 min of steady state and afterwards about 5 min wind down plus stretches at the very end. I like the way she structured this - plenty of time to warm up and then a non-rushed slowdown/cool down/stretch. She suggests repeating each series for 4 weeks. I did Series # 1 last week and didn't feel the need to repeat it again. I will see how i feel after completing this series to see if I should run through it again.

Improved Health - 25 Day Strength Program - Day 1 - this was upper body, back, biceps and a little shoulders. I opted to sit in a chair for the bent over work and it was much better for my back. I feel wimpy doing that but what is the point of aggravating something? And, by sitting I felt I was able to concentrate more on the body parts being worked.

Jessica Valant - Basic Hip Stretches - I need to get back to the "happy hips' workouts they did work well for me so I'm going to focus on adding them in at least 3-5X per week.

I am considering adopting another dog - my DD and i have played with this one several times while volunteering at the shelter. She is young, about a year old - and looks to be a Lab/Greyhound mix. I have to convince DH - and we would have to bring our Golden to meet her. I half think I'm crazy - but I also feel that it would be a good time now w/ me working from home for at least another full year. And my Golden is not so old now that she needs a lot of attention - she is going to be 11 at the end of the month but she is in very good shape for her age. You wouldn't know how old she was if not for her white face!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-23, 09:31 PM  
Leonana

Today was Build Refresh Fusion. This was a nice mobility stretch. It had yoga, Pilates and barre moves. And I was able to do most of the core work, so that was a bonus.

Donna, a new dog sounds fun, especially for walks. Maybe your Golden will be happier with a companion. I miss my dogs, but three cats are enough for me right now.

wishiwasinhawaii, humidity makes me so hot, but my hair and skin like it!
Old 06-04-23, 08:29 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

This morning I went for a mile walk and I plan to do some type of cardio workout later. Not sure what yet. Tomorrow I will start the Improved Health 5 day strength program for strong bones. It looks like it's going to be a nice day so I may just go to the park and walk around there.

Donna, The Improved Health - Interval Training Program Series sounds interesting, so I might have to look into that. Maybe I'll do that after I do the 5 day series and before I start Build. Hmmm... Since you're WFH, maybe another dog would be fun, but I'm really not a pet person so it just seems like too much work to me, LOL.

Sherry, Thanks for letting us know how you're liking Build so far. It does sound like a good program.

Waves to Pam!